Light-O-Rama Forums
H3RRS

700 - 1200 Ft. FM Transmitter

Hello Everyone, 

I'm looking for a decent price FM Transmitter that will relay 700 - 1200 feet. Any help would be truly appreciated! 

Thank you all! 

-H3RRS

Can't go wrong with a CZh-05B, many on here use them as they have a good range and a good price.

With a halfway decent antenna, any of the CZE-05b or CZH-05b radios will do that - at least on high power, and maybe on low power.

OK, now for the disclaimer.  Radiating that far will mean that you are operating with a transmit power that exceeds the limits for Part 15 operation.  The limit for part 15 operation is a field strength measurement as a specified distance as opposed to a transmit power limit which means that it is much harder for the average guy to measure, and impossible to state that for example, you can run 100mW and be legal.  A rough rule of thumb for part 15 operation in the FM broadcast band is it should be usable for a couple hundred feet.    That does not necessarily mean you will get a visit from the men in black suits, but you will be exceeding the limits.

9 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Can't go wrong with a CZh-05B, many on here use them as they have a good range and a good price.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

With a halfway decent antenna, any of the CZE-05b or CZH-05b radios will do that - at least on high power, and maybe on low power.

OK, now for the disclaimer.  Radiating that far will mean that you are operating with a transmit power that exceeds the limits for Part 15 operation.  The limit for part 15 operation is a field strength measurement as a specified distance as opposed to a transmit power limit which means that it is much harder for the average guy to measure, and impossible to state that for example, you can run 100mW and be legal.  A rough rule of thumb for part 15 operation in the FM broadcast band is it should be usable for a couple hundred feet.    That does not necessarily mean you will get a visit from the men in black suits, but you will be exceeding the limits.

How many feet are legal? I am unaware of this and want to follow it to point. 

As I said in the next to last sentence, about 200 feet.  Note that a lot of lights shows exceed that and to date I have never heard of anyone getting a visit from the FCC.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

As I said in the next to last sentence, about 200 feet.  Note that a lot of lights shows exceed that and to date I have never heard of anyone getting a visit from the FCC.

Thank you for all of this information! 

Found that "low" setting (100mW) works best for CZH-05B FM transmitter!