Light-O-Rama Forums

Options on Types of Lights?

HVACR

My first 2 shows were standard M5 led type lights. My daughter wanted different color lights around windows of the houses. Could not see doing with M5's in  different colors with dunb RGB available.  I added a total of 4 CMB24D controllers to my set up. Already had 4 16 channel AC controllers running M5 lights. This year I added a Pixie 8, 4 more CMB24D, and 2 more 16 channel controllers. 

What to do next year? Thinking of replacing some of the M5 type lights and re-purposing the 2 16 channel controllers to simple mega trees. Then add many more CMB24D controllers or add more PIXIE controllers.

I have spent some time watching "Pixel Editor" videos on YouTube.  I like how the program can build the show with a light template/drawing lay out of the show area.

I guess my question is should I lean more into Pixels or are dumb RGB still ok to keep adding at this point? 

37 minutes ago, HVACR said:

I guess my question is should I lean more into Pixels or are dumb RGB still ok to keep adding at this point? 

Each has their place in my opinion.  I have both in both my year round landscape lighting but most of what I add for Christmas is smart pixels with just a little additional dumb RGB.

21 hours ago, HVACR said:

I'd say go with the intelligent pixels. Once you see the difference they make, and the effects that you can do you will be wishing you would have made the change years ago.

You could just keep adding dumb RGB at this point, but you would be wasting your money, because in a year or 2 you'll be wanting to change all of the dumb RGB to pixels anyway. So, make the leap into intelligent RGB, and don't look back!! There is a bit of a learning curve with the PE, but once you get it figured out you'll love it!!