Light-O-Rama Forums

New products to be delivered in August September 2008

LightORamaJohn

PMSM pump motors can start up in either direction so they have a little flapper (rubber or metal) that allows the water to flow out the exit regardless of the spin direction. The pumps we work with do not force the motor to spin in one direction.

The valve is very simple and durable so it has not been a problem in 6 months of daily running. Additionally, since we are controlling the speed, the full stop/start sequences can be avoided. Keeping the pump running at a burble is easier on it. We are shooting for a pump life of 2-3 years with properly designed sequences.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ponddude

• -klb-

• LightORamaJohn

• lesm

garyfunk wrote:

LightORamaJohn wrote:
We are shooting for a pump life of 2-3 years with properly designed sequences.

Those three little words worry me.
Perhaps an enhancement to the sequence editor/channel config could impose minimum ramp up/down times?

msbreton wrote:

Magnetic drive pumps have a tendency to not always startup in the right direction. When the spin the wrong way, water flows in the reverse direction.

Little confused, I think I use these pumps daily in my business for pond features. Can't say I every noticed any of them starting up backwards. My pumps turn on and off daily, and never noticed no water coming out of them. The pumps you used, are they just standard off the shelf pumps at dept stores for ponds?

If I am crazy and wrong, I applogize in advance. Just wondering, because I had ideas I wanted to do this summer in one of my ponds for a show using LOR.

Not to belabor the point, but is there any more information about the new boards...more specifically the DIO board? I really could use a release date or at least a fairly accurate time frame...a week, a month, a year??

Just trying to plan out the projects for this year and I really need a servo board that can control a lot of servos...ie the DIO board.

Ponddude wrote:

Not to belabor the point, but is there any more information about the new boards...more specifically the DIO board? I really could use a release date or at least a fairly accurate time frame...a week, a month, a year??

Just trying to plan out the projects for this year and I really need a servo board that can control a lot of servos...ie the DIO board.

Yes, well, we all need and want that. I'm betting if Dan knew, he'd tell us. After all, he is in the business to make a profit and feed his family.

cenote wrote:

msbreton wrote:
Magnetic drive pumps have a tendency to not always startup in the right direction. When the spin the wrong way, water flows in the reverse direction.

Little confused, I think I use these pumps daily in my business for pond features. Can't say I every noticed any of them starting up backwards. My pumps turn on and off daily, and never noticed no water coming out of them. The pumps you used, are they just standard off the shelf pumps at dept stores for ponds?

If I am crazy and wrong, I applogize in advance. Just wondering, because I had ideas I wanted to do this summer in one of my ponds for a show using LOR.

A lot of them have non directional volutes, (so the term really does not apply) so that they have poor but equal pumping efficiency in both directions.

Ponddude wrote:

I am in the same boat as I have been waiting for the servo board to experiment with animatronics. I found a dmx controlled servo board that may fill the requirement and should be controllable with the idmx 1000. http://home.att.net/~northlightsystems/DMX512toRCservo.htm

What do you think?

garyfunk wrote:

jstein wrote:
Still no word on the release date of the DIO32?

I think I heard him say it wil be before February 29th.

Where did we hear this?

Ponddude wrote:

garyfunk wrote:
jstein wrote:
Still no word on the release date of the DIO32?

I think I heard him say it wil be before February 29th.

Where did we hear this?

I was wondering the same thing because I haven't hear any release dates yet.