Light-O-Rama Forums

Next Year 800 pixel matrix

Vince4xmas

22 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

Planning an 800 pixel matrix for next year.

What size/spacing of pixels have worked for others?

Thanks

Most of the premade sequences these days are 1200 (50X24). The board being sold by HS is 1.5" spacing at about 8X4'. I would love to have my spacing at .75" or even 1" but the viewing distance for my audience is between 120 - 200'. The spacing is perfect. 

As I get faster with every sequence I write I will be sharing the matrix sequences. I have already shared the first 3 I produced. My problem is time. I sequence so many singing face sequences that I have very little time to dedicate towards matrix stuff.

The matrix panel being sold by HS is great and affordable. 

JR

Or if you're wanting to do a little different pixel Matrix look up what Matt Johnson does on Johnson family lights on YouTube. He shows how he constructs his pixel matrix's and I believe his spacing is 2 inches and he just uses one inch PVC that he has a jig setup and uses a drill press to do

Vince,

Here is 2 examples of what I have. It's made from a Pixie16, thus 16 lines X 50 pixel line length = 800 pixels. I have access to a CNC Router and made the distance between the pixels 1". It's roughly 16" x 50". It's made from a sheet of Coro-Plast from Home Depot.

These videos are filmed from approx 20 feet away. These videos are test videos of work in progress. I was curious to see what they looked like at 20 feet away. My normal viewing distance will much closer to 50 - 70 feet.

If you plan on doing text, I would recommend creating the words in a paint program then insert them into the Sequence with either SS or SE (S5) or PE (S4). This what I did for the second video.

Alan...

On 11/18/2017 at 7:12 PM, Vince4xmas said:

Planning an 800 pixel matrix for next year.

What size/spacing of pixels have worked for others?

Thanks

you might want to consider P10 panels (build your own enclosure).  There are a couple of suppliers of these items.  Plus enables you to push HD content to the matrix.  Mine is four foot by four foot (to fit in my picture window), 55,000 pixels but cost half of what you are looking at.

2 hours ago, caniac said:

you might want to consider P10 panels (build your own enclosure).  There are a couple of suppliers of these items.  Plus enables you to push HD content to the matrix.  Mine is four foot by four foot (to fit in my picture window), 55,000 pixels but cost half of what you are looking at.

Why not just put a 55" HDTV in the window if playing movies or HD content?  Could probably pick one up for $300-$400 and a lot simpler.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Why not just put a 55" HDTV in the window if playing movies or HD content?  Could probably pick one up for $300-$400 and a lot simpler.

1) not water/weatherproof

2) easily stolen

3) won't fit in a four foot square picture window

4) if someone were to steal my matrix I sure hope they know xLights, linux, and Falcon Player because without those its a brick

5) you can't send xLights/LOR effects to a TV, only video

6) if I move and want to go big, you can't stretch a tv out for a bigger spot.  you have to buy another TV.

7) one Pi can support up to 96 P10 panels using an octoscroller.  Pi and octoscroller = $60, P10 panels are $8, you decide how many and configuration.

8) you never hear about anyone stealing one of those digital billboards (same technology) but tv's get stolen all the time.

9) try explaining to your insurance agent why you thought putting a new 55" tv in your front yard was a good idea, only legal in Alabama, West Virginia, and Arkansas.

I have more! :) 

10 hours ago, caniac said:

1) not water/weatherproof

2) easily stolen

3) won't fit in a four foot square picture window

4) if someone were to steal my matrix I sure hope they know xLights, linux, and Falcon Player because without those its a brick

5) you can't send xLights/LOR effects to a TV, only video

6) if I move and want to go big, you can't stretch a tv out for a bigger spot.  you have to buy another TV.

7) one Pi can support up to 96 P10 panels using an octoscroller.  Pi and octoscroller = $60, P10 panels are $8, you decide how many and configuration.

8) you never hear about anyone stealing one of those digital billboards (same technology) but tv's get stolen all the time.

9) try explaining to your insurance agent why you thought putting a new 55" tv in your front yard was a good idea, only legal in Alabama, West Virginia, and Arkansas.

I have more! :) 

You did forget one good point

11) Where is the fun in that 

JR

• The topic was locked