Light-O-Rama Forums

Well I think I fried my controllers!

Guest guest

Yesterday it was raining and I looked out the front window... One of my LOR trees was all lights on (BUT LOR is not plugged into the computer yet!).... I looked out and the cover to my home made control box was off and the cards were just laying there getting rained on....

Well went out and pulled the plug but haven't plugged it in yet..... I don't have much hope for them.... Those cards were hand soldered for the demo at the first PLUS when LOR was first seen. Were at the second Plus in the LOR booth and I am kind of disappointed if I wrecked them. :)

Dan,

Sorry to hear about your controllers. It's been one weather related thing after another this year for a number of us.

Cross your fingers and don't give up hope. Maybe they'll dry out and work again. My cell phone did after I fell into a lake while wearing it so maybe there is hope!

Scott Hardin
Columbus, IN

Steven Singleton Jr. wrote:

Well, at least you are good friends with the ownre of LOR. lol
Yea I could get some new ones (actually I use fixed up, second hand stuff that has been returned) but its not really the same. They were the very first ever make. Original firmware and everything.....

If they are fried I would still keep them, and frame them in a curio just to show where LOR came from. Sounds like your business is a DEF success, and will be ongoing because we all NEED MORE CHANNELS ever year. Hopefully my ship will come in, and I can get in contact with you in Feb or March.

I have another story of fried board. My dad used to build speakers for a living and he built his first pair ever with all hand soldered boards and handbuilt cases. My brother, 17, decided to use them for playing guitar. Long story short he melted the tweeters and burned a hole through the board with one of the reisistors. The good thing with a speaker board is that they're easily repairable. Dan, in your case a computer circuit isnt so easy to repair. Sorry to hear about the bad fate of your first LOR board.:{

Ian Ferralli

Dan

I get you meaning I disassembled all of my old mech. switches to use cords and plugs on LOR. Wished had kept one just for old time sakes. Thinking about putting one back togather after Christmas I still have the parts.

glenn

Dan, You've helped me in the past.

I used to work at Sperry Univac in Voorhees refurbishing mainframes.

We would actually wash the circuit boards then send them into a special room for drying.

Try drying the board out completly. As you know, any moister will cause havok.

Use a heat gun or hair dryer. As a field tech, we would need to use these when the PBX room Main Frame got wet for what-ever reason.

Heck, send the damaged ones to me!

Dan,

Sorry to hear about that. I know exactly what you mean about that rain. I forgot to weatherproof an X-10 Appliance module hooked up to my bubble machine and also a wireless remote X-10 module. The show turned on and after a short while, we heard a buzzing sound. By the time I pulled the plugs, I fried the SCR on the appliance module. So no LOR controlled bubbles for a while. The replacement part is like .65 plus 5.95 S&H from Mouser Electronics. I think I'll just buy a new module. I saved the wireless remote module by opening it up and hair drying the board for a while. Thank goodness no other LOR problems.

Glenn Koenig

My company used to sell a hardware product called Vivace and the president of the company had "Vivace Unit #1" mounted on a show-base with a plaque on it. I always thought it was funny, though, that he plugged cables into it and actively used it (it was basically an audio/MIDI-like product used for practicing -- the product our current SmartMusic product grew from).

Hopefully the controllers will either work, or can be easilly repaired. Would be sad to know LOR #1 has been taken out of commission...

-Tim

Dan, I had a ctb16d out in the rain last year. It is in a meci plastic enclosure, and I left it open on the railing by mistake. The enclosure completely filled up with water, and was over the board, all night. The next day I took it into the workshop and put it in front of the heater, upside down, for 2 days. Went out in 2 days, it was completely dry, and it worked fine. Hope you have the same luck.

Bill

Dan,Sorry to hear about this, as we all are human. Look in to a Food Dehydrator or if Mary dryer has a sweater setting some dryer come with a rack for drying sweater at very low or no heat.