Light-O-Rama Forums

1 1/2" steal pipe

Papa6058

Or black pipe is also available in 1 1/2 size. Plumbing supply would probable have it. I picked up 1 1/2 inch rigid conduit at Lowes in my area, you might try Home Depot or Lowes in your area, they have them in 10 foot lengths usually.

Keith

I am looking for black pipe, but 1 1/4" in best I can find. I tried using 1" but with my star (now bent :-( ) and the lights on the end one snapped at the joint

40 minutes ago, Papa6058 said:

I am looking for black pipe, but 1 1/4" in best I can find. I tried using 1" but with my star (now bent :-( ) and the lights on the end one snapped at the joint

Black pipe is used (required) for Gas Lines. 1-1/2, 2 are frequently used for houses with tankless water heaters (gas is at a very low pressure past the meter, thus the big pipe to allow flow rates needed for these 'instant' heaters.

Locke Supply would have any size you are looking for. Gas pipe is schedule 40 and is much heaver that anything used in electrical. I would not use conduit. The pipe will come in 21 foot joints standard.

HVACR

Michael, 

Snapped at the joint is very common. The coupling just can’t handle the stress, as you found out. 

I went with 1-1/4” electrical rigid pipe as discussed above. BUT I cut the threads off where the two 10ft pieces join together. Then insert this pole pin linked below. Had 66 strands plus triple star in last years ice storm with no problems. BIG test this year - adding 64 more strands... Needed a fuller look.

https://www.christmaslightshow.com/pole-pin-12-for-mega-tree.html

• Like 1

I use an 20’ + 6’ aluminum scaffolding pole. Won’t rust, will take any stress and light to erect 

Edited by robongar

17 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

Michael, 

Snapped at the joint is very common. The coupling just can’t handle the stress, as you found out. 

I went with 1-1/4” electrical rigid pipe as discussed above. BUT I cut the threads off where the two 10ft pieces join together. Then insert this pole pin linked below. Had 66 strands plus triple star in last years ice storm with no problems. BIG test this year - adding 64 more strands... Needed a fuller look.

https://www.christmaslightshow.com/pole-pin-12-for-mega-tree.html

I have tested this in 75mph micro burst, definitely the way to go unless you find someone that makes a solid 20ft section.  I have been running three years in the middle of Nebraska with that setup and the wind hasn't conquered me yet.

• Like 1

The ChristmasLightShow pole pin is the way to go along with black pipe from HD.  With the proper 3 point guy wires in position,  the tree is not going anywhere.

Highly recommended. 

• Like 1

Ok I hope I can get it by tomorrow lol. I woke up with bad flu symptoms so hard to get anything done. Mega Tree and placing control boxes are only outside stuff I have left

4 hours ago, Papa6058 said:

Any clues when I could expect it from TN on standard UPS ground

I have had stuff in 2-3 days, depends on when it's shipped.  Monday ship date might have it to you by Wednesday.  They are usually pretty good about getting stuff out.  Worst case a week from Monday.

Whew flu or food poisoning had me on my back for this weekend when I am su[pse to finish the display. I will be a week late. 

Are you guys putting your star and light on the pole prior to standing it up?  

1 minute ago, Papa6058 said:

Whew flu or food poisoning had me on my back for this weekend when I am su[pse to finish the display. I will be a week late. 

Are you guys putting your star and light on the pole prior to standing it up?  

I do, on my pixel mega tree I also strap my RGB strips before putting up and then straighten them out after the fact (I have them numbered on top and bottom).