Light-O-Rama Forums

Random channels comming on

Thebug

2 hours ago, Brian Mitchell said:

I'm running out of ideas.  Maybe it's a flaky 485 adapter.   I'll rule out the need for snubbers since it's on random channels.  If it actually is random and on random channels then I don't know.  If it was same channels at the same parts of songs, then I'd have a couple more ideas.

After watching it a few times its often the same channels in the same time in each sequence 

12 minutes ago, Thebug said:

After watching it a few times its often the same channels in the same time in each sequence 

Have you tried adding a snubber to these channels. (you can use a incan c7 night light and a cubetap) this might be cross talk sneaking into the channel.

I have seen what you might call ghost sequences before. Try resequencing the area in the channels where you are seeing the lights. Do not copy and paste  into the sections. 

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Have you tried adding a snubber to these channels. (you can use a incan c7 night light and a cubetap) this might be cross talk sneaking into the channel.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Btw what causes cross talk?

1 hour ago, Brian Mitchell said:

I have seen what you might call ghost sequences before. Try resequencing the area in the channels where you are seeing the lights. Do not copy and paste  into the sections. 

I'll also give it shot tomorrow. 

Edited by Thebug

Make sure your data/cat cables are separate from your power cables. Especially if using cheaper cat cables. I had a couple cheap cat cables that were close to power cables and got the same results you did. Separated the two and went with better quality cat cables and problem went away. Worth a try.

9 hours ago, Thebug said:

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Btw what causes cross talk?

I'll also give it shot tomorrow. 

Cross talk is signals from 1 line bleeding (coupling) over to another.

Possible vehicles:

inter lead Capacitance. A good reason all lines that run any distance, be terminated (have a minimum load)

Inductance.  High current in one lead, induces voltage.  Common example the 'light saber' hum

Resistance. conductive 'dirt', 'solder bridge', poor or damaged insulation

Poor power supply regulation.  The Vcc wobbles with activity on one channel, and that 'wobble' appears as a ghost on another

Print thru  Common with magnetic media. The magnetic field of the recording, slowly magnetizes the adjacent layer with the same pattern. The stronger the signal (loud recording), the mor print thru. Really annoying if the adjacent section is 'quiet'.  Vinyl records suffered adjacent groove distortion from loud passages.

Next question is if I change the dimming curves on all of these controllers to LED curves you think that might help solve some of the problem?

36 minutes ago, Thebug said:

Next question is if I change the dimming curves on all of these controllers to LED curves you think that might help solve some of the problem?

I don't think so.

So I tried completely reprogramming one of my songs and it still did it. And then I was checking something else in Hardware utility on one of my controllers cuz I noticed that I had my mega tree wired incorrectly for three legs. And when I did that I had channels coming on on each controller as well. I was unable to try the C7 thing is I had an emergency at work and spent most of the day there try and get to that Monday

Update: so yesterday night I was getting pretty frustrated with this whole silly thing so I opened a helpdesk ticket and I have to say that I'm thoroughly impressed with the Lor people for getting back to me on a Sunday. That blew me away and I want to say a big thank you to whoever awnserd that help desk ticket number. I was totally not expecting to hear anything until at the earliest Monday and maybe even Tuesday cuz I can only imagine how slammed  they are right now. They had me go through every controller and reconnect to each Port from my computer and test to see if there was something there. they also have me look inside each RJ45 port and make sure there was nothing like dirt, corrosion or bent pins. There was one that had a slightly bent pin that I corrected. And I noticed there were a few that had a little bit of corrosion Im going to have to do some research on what to do for that. When I plugged everything back the end and Daisy chained it all back together it appears that all has stopped doing that. Must have been just a bad connection or maybe that one pin that was a little bent was touching another wire and causing a feedback. I also want to thank everybody here who contributed and help me with this. There aren't a lot of places in the world where people would be this willing to share their knowledge with-a complete stranger

Edited by Thebug
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 5:07 PM, dibblejr said:

ALL of mine are GEN3's . I don't have lights that stay on. I have a lip movent confussion in the data someplace. Strange it never happened before with all the faces I have. Other than getting more intricate with my sequences by not using papagayo nothing changed this year. (as far as singing props go)

JR

Just have two words "Shielded Cable" 

59 minutes ago, HVACR said:

Just have two words "Shielded Cable" 

3 words- Always has been. Even if it wasn’t it wouldn’t explain the problem with h only 2-3 sequences out of 10.

The bad part, if splitting off to separate networks works I won’t know until next Halloween since this just happened during Halloween.

Now if it was a constant problem with a controller or 2 I could tell because it will come back.

Im just thinking and hoping data overload.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

3 words- Always has been. Even if it wasn’t it wouldn’t explain the problem with h only 2-3 sequences out of 10.

JR

This rules out controllers and cable. What is  different about  these sequences? (patterns ect). That is a little weird. If you have more lights running during these sequences could be giving communication troubles if your cat 5 is running parallel to power wiring. Are the lights sticking on during the sequence or at the end or both?   

19 minutes ago, HVACR said:

This rules out controllers and cable. What is  different about  these sequences? (patterns ect). That is a little weird. If you have more lights running during these sequences could be giving communication troubles if your cat 5 is running parallel to power wiring. Are the lights sticking on during the sequence or at the end or both?   

Nadda, it’s singing faces that are getting confused.

Pumpkin face 4 on we will say unit 2 top lip sometimes gets confused on Monster face 1 bottom lip.

only way I noticed is in a sequence where only pumpkin faces were singing and I had a now and then top lip on monster 1 which is unit 3.

I had 9 singing faces and those 2 were only problems. 

The sequence was this is Halloween and I was over pushing 3 pixies 16’s and 1 Pixie 8 along with 13 AC controllers through one pipeline.

LOR advised I shouldn’t go over 2000 pixels per network so going to split them. This was my first year at pixels.

Didnt have any lag though

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Also did it on me Muana sequence and Thriller.

At one time I had my spider prop come on during Thriller which is yet another controller 16 leg movements and then the spider has a 8 channel singing face as well.

Tue very first thing I did was start scrubbing my sequences that were doing it. Found nothing wrong.

Rewrite the singing face in a new sequence same outcome. If everything but  else is disconnected it works fine. 

My faces are pretty close together but the groups are separated by 15’ or so.

I just deLt with it, nobody mentioned seeing it or asking what the blue light is now and then.

Figurex I’d try Mikes advice and split networks to about 6-8

JR

Conduct a test. Remove the 4 pixies to a different network for temporary testing and run the 13 controllers. See if the problem is still there.

9 minutes ago, HVACR said:

Conduct a test. Remove the 4 pixies to a different network for temporary testing and run the 13 controllers. See if the problem is still there.

That’s the plan for Christmas display.

Im gonna run every group of 8 singing faces on their own networks. That will be 3 networks.

Pixie16/8 (24x50 matrix) 1 network

Pixie16 CCR tree -1 network

Pixie16 Circles -1 network

Mega tree 1 network 

arches 1 network

mini trees and outline 1 network

I May consolidate arches and mini trees and megA tree I’d i can’t find a 10 port powered hub.

I did mention above when I only ran the faces by themselves I didn’t have the problem in the 3 sequences. 

Verifier found no problems as previously mebtioned.

I did just think of something while typing this.

I wonder if a ghost sequence in those spots could be exported while c eating a master config? However it would have been on every sequence since I redid my master with the pixies

Now I have a new master. I separated Christmas Fromm halloween

JR

I added a bunch more lights today and when I went to test them curses it happened again. I also got that weird comport error that I posted on that other post about a calm Port 41 error subscript too long or something like that. Grrr. One thing I did notice was that it was detecting more than my 5 controllers. I saw as high as 160 different controllers found. I thought that was kind of weird since there's only five plugged in I wonder if I'm getting some weird feedback loop.

So after fighting with it a while today I pulled out my extra controller and started putting it in line in place of another controller. Walla found the wonky controller. Switched it out and it appears to have solved the issue. Sure hope so