Light-O-Rama Forums

Random channels comming on

Thebug

I have 5 random channels that while I'm testing keep coming on when they're not supposed to be. And then they'll stop just as they get a command to do something and then four or five other channels will just randomly turn on. Now it is pouring rain outside what did I do wrong to cause this to happen?

Edited by Thebug

What controllers and type of lights?  

Are you testing with a sequence from the show player, from the Sequence Editor, or using the Hardware Utility?

Sorry more information would be good. The lights are all LED either C5 c7 or mini LEDs. All of the controllers are ctb16pc I have some Gen 2 and gen 3 controllers. As I watched when that the controller would start to get a command it would clean up the offending light strings and then as soon as I controller wasn't doing anything in a few channels would be on

Edited by Thebug

9 minutes ago, Thebug said:

Sorry more information would be good. The lights are all LED either C5 c7 or mini LEDs. All of the controllers are ctb16pc I have some Gen 2 and gen 3 controllers. As I watched when that the controller would start to get a command it would clean up the offending light strings and then as soon as I controller wasn't doing anything in a few channels would be on

I had this during my Halloween show, singing pumpkin #4 top lip missing, singing monster #1 had top lip while not singing. I never found a fix. This is the first time it has ver happened. I had 9 singing elements. Christmas I am expanding networks withn hopes to resolve. I will have 17-23 singers.

JR

Try a physical reset on the controllers.  Unplug the controller, pull the jumper off the two pins in the controller, plug in.  The led will blink quickly.  Unplug and replace the jumper.

Also you may have a bad cat 5 cable.

39 minutes ago, Brian Mitchell said:

Try a physical reset on the controllers.  Unplug the controller, pull the jumper off the two pins in the controller, plug in.  The led will blink quickly.  Unplug and replace the jumper.

Also you may have a bad cat 5 cable.

None of them worked for me. I am hoping the additional networks will fix things. Only happened on 2 out of 10 sequences so the first place I looked was my sequences but found nothing out of place. At first I thought somehow my copy/ paste went array in a few particular spots but nothing there. Tried copy and pasting into a brand new sequence thinking maybe a layer problem, same results.

JR 

When I made all the Cat5 cables this year the tester said they were good so I'm not sure sure it would be that. But I'll try it again. It's raining like a son of a gun tonight so I'll have to try the hard reset tomorrow when the rain finally stops.

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

At first I thought somehow my copy/ paste went array in a few particular spots but nothing there. 

Funny I did the exact same thing. I went through every one of my sequences and was like that I accidentally screw up and have it you know coming on or something. Nothing

The only thing I didn't do was replace the controller/s since they are mounted to the props and for the 4 or 5 spots in 2 sequences I figured nobody noticed with everything else going on. And I guess the only one that noticed was me and my friends I told.

JR

So I've tested every Cat5 cable and they are good. I've reset all of my controllers by pulling the PIN. And I'm still getting on every controller at least once during each song where they will turn on one random Channel when they shouldn't be turned on and I did check all of my sequences and make sure there was nothing there to cause the firing of the light string. Any other ideas? I've also noticed it's off times two channels 

1 minute ago, Thebug said:

So I've tested every Cat5 cable and they are good. I've reset all of my controllers by pulling the PIN. And I'm still getting on every controller at least once during each song where they will turn on one random Channel when they shouldn't be turned on and I did check all of my sequences and make sure there was nothing there to cause the firing of the light string. Any other ideas? I've also noticed it's off times two channels 

Out of coureosity how many controllers are you running daisy chained? I had 13 AC daisy chained as well as 4 pixie16’’ and a pixie 8. LOR recommended no more than 2000 pixels per network so I am going to have at least 6 networks for Christmas. 

I am probably going to try running only 8 singing faces on a network so that will be 3 networks alone. Then I will break down all of my pixie controlled props to one network each.

Im thinking some type of data overload since I was pushing Halloween with only 1 network but for 95% of sequences it was fine. 

Is the problem with the Gen2 or Gen3 controllers? I read in the past written here that the Gen2 controllers are not as sensitive at the newer Gen 3 controllers are. Therefore have problems with LED lights due to low wattage. I have two Gen 2 that I bought used I have one set of lights that stay 1/2 on when the show is off. How many strings of lights are you running on the channels you are having trouble with? May want to add some incans to the circuit to see if that helps or not.

HVACR

I was told the Gen2 controller has red lights and Gen 3 have green lights.

6 minutes ago, HVACR said:

Is the problem with the Gen2 or Gen3 controllers? I read in the past written here that the Gen2 controllers are not as sensitive at the newer Gen 3 controllers are. Therefore have problems with LED lights due to low wattage. I have two Gen 2 that I bought used I have one set of lights that stay 1/2 on when the show is off. How many strings of lights are you running on the channels you are having trouble with? May want to add some incans to the circuit to see if that helps or not.

HVACR

I was told the Gen2 controller has red lights and Gen 3 have green lights.

ALL of mine are GEN3's . I don't have lights that stay on. I have a lip movent confussion in the data someplace. Strange it never happened before with all the faces I have. Other than getting more intricate with my sequences by not using papagayo nothing changed this year. (as far as singing props go)

JR

Update: on a whim I took and plugged my cable from my computer into controller number 5 which is the end of my controllers and it cleaned up most of it. They're still on one song A couple that come on in some weird places but I'm none of the other songs is it now doing that I wonder if I have a controller with something screwed up and it somewhere my controller one. And that number one controller is a Gen 2 controller.

I'm running out of ideas.  Maybe it's a flaky 485 adapter.   I'll rule out the need for snubbers since it's on random channels.  If it actually is random and on random channels then I don't know.  If it was same channels at the same parts of songs, then I'd have a couple more ideas.

Edited by Brian Mitchell
more thoughts

1 hour ago, Brian Mitchell said:

I'm running out of ideas.  Maybe it's a flaky 485 adapter.   I'll rule out the need for snubbers since it's on random channels.  If it actually is random and on random channels then I don't know.  If it was same channels at the same parts of songs, then I'd have a couple more ideas.

In my case I tried everything imaginable along with 9 hs485 adapters. Mine are just channel 4 face #4 and channel 8 face # 1 but a separate unit ID. 

Reset, updated fw, multipl dif cords, cables , HS adapters. Only happens in various spots and 2 sequences

see If Christmas and additional networks fixes