Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 with WS2812 pixels.

Timc31610

I am still learning Pixels B), Pixie4

I would think the slow clock would be more solid with marginal devices and 800Hz expose the flaky ones.

Still puzzling why I get odd results in HU test (choice is a single color, 1 port at a time)

[OK figured this out. Changing the settings requires a RESTART of the HU]

p1 has 25 nodes. The last 17 light

p2 has 2 strips of 25 nodes, end to end. the LAST 17 light on the first strip, All 25 on the second

If I choose All ports, they all come on

100px per port. tried logical of 50 and then 100.

I'm still learning also. 800 seems to be working perfect with these pixels. Through hu all 16 strands light perfectly. Now I have software version questions. I have pro with 4ccr, so I have to have 16 ccr to run all ports during a sequence?

Edited by Timc31610
Spellcheck

1 hour ago, Timc31610 said:

Now I have software version questions. I have pro with 4ccr, so I have to have 16 ccr to run all ports during a sequence?

If you are using SuperStar to sequence your 16 strings, yes, you would need at least a 16 CCR level SuperStar license.  You can sequence anything you want in SuperStar, but the license limitation is that you can't export the data from SuperStar to Sequence Editor without a high enough license level.

BTW, I HIGHLY recommend SuperStar.  That reminds me, I will need to upgrade my SuperStar license for next year - just barely fit within my 40CCR license now...

Do I have to use superstar? I was hoping this year I could just buy a premade 12 string star sequence or two and run that.

2 minutes ago, Timc31610 said:

Do I have to use superstar? I was hoping this year I could just buy a premade 12 string star sequence or two and run that.

No, you never have to use SuperStar.  If you buy pre-made sequences for your pixel tree, they can be delivered in several different formats.  You can get them as SuperStar files or you can get them as Seqeunce Editor files (or both).  It depends on where you get them and how you ask for delivery.  If you get the sequence as SuperStar files only, you would need to have SuperStar in order to convert them into Files that Sequence Editor can make use of.  If you get them as Sequence Editor, obviously you can use them in Sequence Editor.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both.  If you get the sequence as SuperStar files, you can later edit them in SuperStar, and the important part is you can add the rest of your yard and sequence it all together in SuperStar.  The down side is that you need to have a SuperStar license.  If you receive purchased sequences as Sequence Editor files, the good part is that you do not need a SuperStar license to make use of them, but the down side is that you never can use them with SuperStar.  So what it comes down to, is do you think you will ever want to use SuperStar?  In my case, for almost all of my sequences, I purchase the pixel tree sequence from one of several sources, and then add the other 4,000 channels for the rest of my yard to that.  I fully admit that I am not creative enough to come up with the good ideas for sequencing that some of these guys can do.  I CAN however take their color and motion ideas and expand them to the other parts of my yard.  Therefore, I purchase sequences for the pixel tree in SuperStar format and then sequence EVERY other channel in SuperStar.

BTW, I listened to my own advise in my last post - I just upgraded my SuperStar license from 40 to 60 CCRs (or if you prefer, 6,000 to 9,000 channels)...

Yeah, I am about to bit the bullet and upgrade as well. I just wanted some generic sequence so I could do some testing. Bad part is all of the ones I find are fairly expensive. I understand what goes into it but I just want a generic sequence...lol

There are some that are in the Sequence Sharing section, and a few other sites, but most shared stuff is not for pixel trees.  PM me an E-Mail address and I'll send you the one of mine that is all mine so you can look at it.

BTW, one HUGE advantage of buying some of the sequences in SuperStar format from the experts is then looking to see how the experts did certain effects.  You can learn a lot from them.  As for the cost, I one time wild guessed that it would take me at least 100 hours to accomplish what I was able to purchase for $50 (give or take 20).  That means that if my time is worth more than about 50 cents per hour, it's more worth while to purchase the sequence and then spend my time adapting the rest of my yard to it.  BTW, that 100 hours assumed that I had the creativity to create sequences from scratch (I don't).

Another quick question guys, and I am sure it is another brain fart. My lights work fin in HU but I get no output in sequencer. I created an instant sequence in Superstar then exported to sequencer, but no lights. I remember last year I had to insert a pixie device in sequencer then copy the sequence to those channels or something to that effect. Any pointers guys?

Ensure LOR control panel is running   (little red bulb icon on your task bar should be showing) and that you have control lights checked in SE

1 hour ago, Timc31610 said:

Another quick question guys, and I am sure it is another brain fart. My lights work fin in HU but I get no output in sequencer. I created an instant sequence in Superstar then exported to sequencer, but no lights. I remember last year I had to insert a pixie device in sequencer then copy the sequence to those channels or something to that effect. Any pointers guys?

Find my thread “pixie configuration tips” created last week since the pixie seems to be picking up a fan base.

I spent countless hours assisting others so hope the search feature would help.

Im to n car so no link.

It will get you up and running.

JR

I think I must be completely missing something. I loaded a sequence that I used last year and all of my settings are the same and still nothing. I read your write up dibblejr, and I am letting the software assign the ID. I only have the one pixie 16 controller.

4 minutes ago, Timc31610 said:

I think I must be completely missing something. I loaded a sequence that I used last year and all of my settings are the same and still nothing. I read your write up dibblejr, and I am letting the software assign the ID. I only have the one pixie 16 controller.

Its you channel config. and or network config.

Shoot me a PM with your cell, Ill call you and in 5 mins you should be gtg

JR

Huge thanks to dibblejr for walking me through setup last night! After an hour and still not working, we decided I needed the high speed USB adapter. After the call he emailed and asked if HU was shut down and control panel running. First thing this morning I cranked everything up and shut down HU and now everything is working! Something simple after all.

Ok, so now I have my lights working. I bought a premade sequence from superstarlights.com. It came in the form of a Superstar 12CCR file. I opened it with Superstar and it plays perfectly there. I exported it to SE and that is where I am having issues. When it exports it has 12 CCR channels and 6 star channels. I have a 12 string rgb tree setup in visualizer and when I play the exported file in SE I only have strings 1-3 doing anything, and it isn't even close to what it is supposed to look like. I tried adding an RGB channel above the CCR channels and copying the info for the whole sequence into that and has all of the lights operating, but it still doesn't look the same as in SS. Maybe my Visualizer fixture is wrong? Thanks for the help guys!

6 minutes ago, Timc31610 said:

Ok, so now I have my lights working. I bought a premade sequence from superstarlights.com. It came in the form of a Superstar 12CCR file. I opened it with Superstar and it plays perfectly there. I exported it to SE and that is where I am having issues. When it exports it has 12 CCR channels and 6 star channels. I have a 12 string rgb tree setup in visualizer and when I play the exported file in SE I only have strings 1-3 doing anything, and it isn't even close to what it is supposed to look like. I tried adding an RGB channel above the CCR channels and copying the info for the whole sequence into that and has all of the lights operating, but it still doesn't look the same as in SS. Maybe my Visualizer fixture is wrong? Thanks for the help guys!

Sending you a text.

JR