Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 with WS2812 pixels.

Timc31610

Hey guys, I think I am having a brain fart. I have a pixie 16 that I am using this year for a 12 strand tree. I bought 20 strands of WS2812 pixels. Using my Pixie only about 5 out of the 20 function properly, the other 15 turn solid white as soon as they are plugged in. For testing purposes I have a TS1000 led controller and every strand works perfectly with it. Any ideas what I may be overlooking? Thanks you!

Snapshot_20171116_103224.jpg

Snapshot_20171116_103251.jpg

No other controllers, the TS1000 is just sitting there pulling power from the power supply for testing. My setup is as follows:

1 Pixie 16 Controller

2 400W 12 Power Supplies (1 per input to the Pixie)

3 Prong connectors connected to the Pixie using the male side.

Female side of the connector is connected to the LED pixel strands.

Last year I started small with 4 arches, using the same WS2812 pixels on channels 1-4, out of the 4 strands i used last year 2 are now not working properly, the other 2 are fine. And when I say not working properly, when I plug them into the controller the entire strand lights up white, when I press the test button nothing happens, they stay white. That same strand connected to the TS1000 works perfect.

No, I am using the test button on the pixie controller. I am trying now to get a test sequence together to try it that way.

3 minutes ago, Timc31610 said:

That vendors reviews are in the mud.

I was going to ask if the In-Out direction  was correct.  (you might visual each node to see if they ALL are correctly assembled)

If these are not returnable, you might want to do a Binary troubleshoot isolation. Cut the string in half, and test each half.  Splice the good pieces to make a 50 count string

When you configured the pixie in HU did you use the config panel? If so if you followed those instructions you did some RGB settings. Did you put them back? Also check the HU for output order, should be RGB

I do not use the pixel color control panel in HU when setting up, I prefer using actual pixels

JR

3 minutes ago, Timc31610 said:

No, I am using the test button on the pixie controller. I am trying now to get a test sequence together to try it that way.

Why not use the HU . 

do each of the 3 colors , then chase with the RGBW box ticked

Ensure the extra ends, bare wire is cut off. I dip mine in silicone leaving a small ball on them to ensure nothing can short them out. The male ends are left on and filled with silicone. 

JR

I understand about making sure there are no bear ends, when I attach the pigtails I make do the same, cut off the stripped back part and dip in silicone. The ones in the video have been unmolested in case I can return them.

Something I never do, disconnect/ plug in strips with unit powered on. 

I really don't have anything else though since it works with that other controller. HAve you tried on every pixie port?

JR

:bulb:  Data clock frequency.  Pixies can be set to WS2811 400Hz, or 800Hz in the HU

You may have a mixed batch of strings

• Like 1