Light-O-Rama Forums

Buying Premade sequences from LOR

tvweather62

Hey there,

I will only be trying a single controller with 16 channels to start.  I was planning on trying to find a few here, a few on Ebay, and finally, a few from LOR sequencing forum.  I figured, the "pros" would have the best, but who knows.  My question is, for those sequences that have more than 16 channels....do I need to delete these, or just run it as is, and since there won't be additional controllers, it would just ignore these commands.  Or doesnt it work that way and they have to be deleted?  Is this easy in the software?  Thanks!

Yes, just run it as is.  No need to delete the channels that you're not using.  The additional channels are there when you need them in the future when you decide to add more controllers.  Most of the LOR sequences are made to work with 68 channels.

And good timing on this post, as I just purchased my first LOR sequence about 30 minutes ago ("Let It Go" from the Frozen soundtrack....had to get that one for my girls lol).  I also had to buy the mp3 from Amazon.  Then I installed the sequence per the instructions and that process also allowed me to specify the mp3 to use with it (the downloaded mp3 from Amazon, of course!).   I'm about to purchase/download my 2nd sequence (Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms).

18 hours ago, Speedster said:

Yes, just run it as is.  No need to delete the channels that you're not using.  The additional channels are there when you need them in the future when you decide to add more controllers.  Most of the LOR sequences are made to work with 68 channels.

And good timing on this post, as I just purchased my first LOR sequence about 30 minutes ago ("Let It Go" from the Frozen soundtrack....had to get that one for my girls lol).  I also had to buy the mp3 from Amazon.  Then I installed the sequence per the instructions and that process also allowed me to specify the mp3 to use with it (the downloaded mp3 from Amazon, of course!).   I'm about to purchase/download my 2nd sequence (Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms).

Did you have to do a firmware update for the MiniGen Director when it arrived?  I bought mine "new and unopened, but not sure when the person bought it.  Looks like I would need additional parts to do a firmware update for this....

I did not have to do a firmware update on the MiniDirector.  I bought all my LOR gear brand new at the end of the summer sale in August, so I'm assuming that it didn't need to be updated.

4 hours ago, Speedster said:

I did not have to do a firmware update on the MiniDirector.  I bought all my LOR gear brand new at the end of the summer sale in August, so I'm assuming that it didn't need to be updated.

Hey again.  Since you're just starting out as well, I figured you might be the best person to start.

I purchased mine from Ebay, and of course, it looks like it was opened and doesn't include a product key for the software.  I'll have to address that with the seller.  My bigger issue is the instructions start off by saying I need to install the RS 485 adapter.  Is this was you had to do first?  It says to do this before even installing the Showtime Windows software.  Im a little grey on the installation. It looks like there is a disk to install the drivers for this.  Again, did you do all this before installing the software?

Frustrated, guess I should have bought through the dealer.

Thanks!

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I don't think LOR allows transfer of software licenses.  Which is likely the reason why you didn't get a product key from the seller.  You need to have a licensed copy of the software before you can use it to control lights.  The free demo version (which you can download directly from LOR's website) will allow you to do sequencing and even save created sequences but that's about it.  Sounds to me like you'll need to address the product key with LOR, not the seller.  (The seller is either ignorant or maybe you got scammed a bit.)

Regardless of that, I've been a LOR user since 2008 and one of the things I've ALWAYS found to be true is that if you want their products to work correctly, follow their instructions.  They usually know best when it comes to their own products, and they have reasons, usually very good ones, why they say to do things in a specific order.

Good luck.

5 hours ago, Speedster said:

Well, THAT was much easier than I thought.  It's up and running perfectly.  Only one  last quick question.  How did you get your product code?  I bought it from Ebay...but it was still never registered apparently.  I thought I read you must get key from email....but how do you do that?  Or won't it work for me, because I bought from 3rd party and must buy it from their site.  It's only $50 bucks either way...but just thought maybe the seller should be able to get it.  Thoughts?  Thanks again...and by the way, I can send you a few sequences I've come across for your efforts.  You've really been helpful!  Just shoot me an email address if you like.  Thanks again!

39 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I don't think LOR allows transfer of software licenses.  Which is likely the reason why you didn't get a product key from the seller.  You need to have a licensed copy of the software before you can use it to control lights.  The free demo version (which you can download directly from LOR's website) will allow you to do sequencing and even save created sequences but that's about it.  Sounds to me like you'll need to address the product key with LOR, not the seller.  (The seller is either ignorant or maybe you got scammed a bit.)

Regardless of that, I've been a LOR user since 2008 and one of the things I've ALWAYS found to be true is that if you want their products to work correctly, follow their instructions.  They usually know best when it comes to their own products, and they have reasons, usually very good ones, why they say to do things in a specific order.

Good luck.

I think she bought it from LOR last year, and it was just too much for her.  In our quick conversation, overwhelmed with set up.  This forum is so great....I've already got it up and running after an hour.  I bought the TSO preinstalled package, on the SD card, and it's running great.  While I have you, and clearly you're an expert, I have a controller with 2 plugs.  Do I have an 8 amp limit on each side, or 15 on each side.  I've read a lot, and seem to see a bit of both.  Also, she included the disk, but no key...and I'm certain she never registered.  Not sure how I would contact LOR...my name wouldn't be in their system...but I suppose I could say it was a gift.  Either way, I already installed everything...so if it means I need another $50 to get it up and running to transfer sequences I buy from them, so be it.  It's worth it.  I'm having so much fun learning this new  hobby.   Thanks so much for your response! 

4 minutes ago, tvweather62 said:

I think she bought it from LOR last year, and it was just too much for her.  In our quick conversation, overwhelmed with set up.  This forum is so great....I've already got it up and running after an hour.  I bought the TSO preinstalled package, on the SD card, and it's running great.  While I have you, and clearly you're an expert, I have a controller with 2 plugs.  Do I have an 8 amp limit on each side, or 15 on each side.  I've read a lot, and seem to see a bit of both.  Also, she included the disk, but no key...and I'm certain she never registered.  Not sure how I would contact LOR...my name wouldn't be in their system...but I suppose I could say it was a gift.  Either way, I already installed everything...so if it means I need another $50 to get it up and running to transfer sequences I buy from them, so be it.  It's worth it.  I'm having so much fun learning this new  hobby.   Thanks so much for your response! 

One last question, would the license key be included along with the software and hardware when it's sent to you in the first place?  If so, I would assume the person still has that since they never registered it in the first place.  Or is there another manner in which the initial registation is completed.  Thanks again, George!

2 hours ago, tvweather62 said:

While I have you, and clearly you're an expert, I have a controller with 2 plugs.  Do I have an 8 amp limit on each side, or 15 on each side.  I've read a lot, and seem to see a bit of both.  Also, she included the disk, but no key...and I'm certain she never registered.  Not sure how I would contact LOR...my name wouldn't be in their system...but I suppose I could say it was a gift.  Either way, I already installed everything...so if it means I need another $50 to get it up and running to transfer sequences I buy from them, so be it.  It's worth it.  I'm having so much fun learning this new  hobby.   Thanks so much for your response! 

More then likely the controller is a CTB16 so each port would have a limit of 8 amps and each side would have a limit of 15 amps.

As far as telling LOR it was a gift, they have already read your post by now so that won't work.

2 hours ago, tvweather62 said:

One last question, would the license key be included along with the software and hardware when it's sent to you in the first place?  If so, I would assume the person still has that since they never registered it in the first place.  Or is there another manner in which the initial registation is completed.  Thanks again, George!

The license key is emailed to you when you order the software and it is locked to the email address. Even if they never registered the software the license would be locked to the other persons email so your best bet would be to just purchase a license.

7 hours ago, tvweather62 said:

One last question, would the license key be included along with the software and hardware when it's sent to you in the first place

This is from LOR and other people have told you it is not transferable. Also when you buy your own you can get updates for awhile for free, don't remember exactly how long.

http://www1.lightorama.com/software-license-faq/

Tom

Edited by TBS99

Just a warning to all out there who buy LOR products off of Ebay, don't fall for the trap that software is included as the software is free on the LOR website. Software licenses "ARE NOT TRANSFERABLE" so you will have to purchase a license anyway.

Many sellers on Ebay state the software is included so it sounds like you are getting a good deal, don't fall for it.

As stated, Software Licenses are not transferable.  

Be aware that at some point you are probably going to need a USB adapter.  If you didn't get one you may be tempted to purchase the Generic Starter Package - because the software comes free with the adapter.

Sorry Charlie.  We only sell those if you are also ordering a controller from us at the same time.  Instead, you will have to pay full price for both the USB adapter (approx $30) AND the software (Starting at Approx $50).  If you didn't save at least $40 on your controller purchase from eBay, you end up paying more.

You should also know there are no warranties on used equipment.  We extend our warranty to the FIRST end user only.  When requesting warranty work we will ask you for your LOR order number.  If you do not have one, we can not verify your warranty.  We will still stand behind and repair the equipment, but you will be responsible for all shipping and repair charges.  Be aware of this when purchasing equipment from eBay or others who are not authorized LOR partners.  Even if the equipment is NEW IN BOX - if it wasn't purchased from us or our partners the warranty is void.