Light-O-Rama Forums

Video Cameras

whitebuck

Hello,

I have been trying to Video my show with my iPhone.  It does ok, but I am wondering if anyone  has any affordable camera suggestions that they have had good luck videoing their shows.  Looking forward to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

12 minutes ago, whitebuck said:

Hello,

I have been trying to Video my show with my iPhone.  It does ok, but I am wondering if anyone  has any affordable camera suggestions that they have had good luck videoing their shows.  Looking forward to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

Hmmm, how about a $1200 drone?  :D

Edited by Mr. P

23 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Hmmm, how about a $1200 drone?  :D

Better yet, let a good friend buy the $1200 drone and have him come over with it..

We use our digital camera ( Lumix FZ70) to take videos of our display. We sit in the car with the radio on and video from there...

35 minutes ago, rcktpwrd said:

We use our digital camera ( Lumix FZ70) to take videos of our display. We sit in the car with the radio on and video from there...

If we had our flying cars we were promised in the 60's we wouldn't need a drone.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rcktpwrd said:

This is what I plan on doing too.  I have an old Canon PowerShot digital camera that I was hoping to replace this year.  I looked for a camera with a built-in FM receiver but couldn't find one, hence the reason why I'll be sitting in my car with the radio on.

I had a conversation with the wife last night and this is how it went:

wife: Hon, we have been doing these lightshows for five years and we have no videos.

me: That's because we don't have a video camera, I mean we have our phones but they wouldn't do it justice.

wife: Well what would we need to take videos?

me: If you want really good videos, probably a drone.

wife: Which one?

me: DJI makes some of the best, they have the Phantom 4 Pro and the Mavic Pro they both have 4K cameras and can pretty much do what you want. :)

wife: Are they expensive?

me: A little bit but not as much as we spend on this show.

So about an hour goes by.

wife: Is this the drone you were talking about? (shows me her computer, looking at the DJI Mavic Pro)

me: Yeah, that's the one.

wife: Oh that's not bad, I really want some good videos, maybe I'll have a talk with Santa.

Bottom line, I'm getting a drone, I'm getting a drone. :D

Big boys and expensive toys.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

me: A little bit but not as much as we spend on this show.

So about an hour goes by.

Oh Mr. P shame on you, lol;) On second thought, may I borrow this line of reasoning. I always wanted a drone .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bigfrog 59 said:

Oh Mr. P shame on you, lol;) On second thought, may I borrow this line of reasoning. I always wanted a drone .

You should have heard my reasoning when I purchased my corvette Z06.  :D

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rcktpwrd said:

12 hours ago, Speedster said:

This is what I plan on doing too.  I have an old Canon PowerShot digital camera that I was hoping to replace this year.  I looked for a camera with a built-in FM receiver but couldn't find one, hence the reason why I'll be sitting in my car with the radio on.

I usually dub in the sound using video editing software after recording(muted).  This way you get good quality audio without all the other sounds that could come up while you're recording (cars driving by, people talking, dogs barking, etc.....

2 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

I usually dub in the sound using video editing software after recording(muted).  This way you get good quality audio without all the other sounds that could come up while you're recording (cars driving by, people talking, dogs barking, etc.....

What software do you use?  (I'm using CyberLink PowerDirector) I've also done that for the previous 2 years with a non-LOR system, and the video and music are synched perfectly at the beginning, but for some reason the timing starts to be a little bit out of sync after about a minute.  It gets more noticeable after about 2 minutes, then by the time the song is over, the video & music are out of synch by 1/2 second to almost 1 second, even though I'm using the same mp3 that was used with the light show.  That's why this year I was going to record video while sitting in my car with the volume turned up to drown out street noise.  But maybe I just need to use different video-editing software.

39 minutes ago, Speedster said:

What software do you use?  (I'm using CyberLink PowerDirector) I've also done that for the previous 2 years with a non-LOR system, and the video and music are synched perfectly at the beginning, but for some reason the timing starts to be a little bit out of sync after about a minute.  It gets more noticeable after about 2 minutes, then by the time the song is over, the video & music are out of synch by 1/2 second to almost 1 second, even though I'm using the same mp3 that was used with the light show.  That's why this year I was going to record video while sitting in my car with the volume turned up to drown out street noise.  But maybe I just need to use different video-editing software.

I use Microsoft Movie Maker and its free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/movie-maker-free-video-editor/9nblggh4wwjr

• Like 1

We did the videos later on in the evening when there was no one around. The quality isn't the greatest but it works well enough.

We had a friend fly his drone over our display a couple years ago and it look really cool! He took mostly pictures. A big problem for us is all the large tree in the yard, so there is really no way to fly in close and around the display...

Here are a couple of videos from last year: