Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX into LOR sw - cannot get the lights on

andrewbrummer

Need help... i know it is a stupid checkbox im missing - im about 33 hours into this and im going round in circles.

LOR sw

e31 configured with accessible IP.  Wired Access.  Wireless disabled.

New Sequence.  Insert Device.  Add DMX1 (universe 1)

Convert to RGB

Add shimmer

Run - Nothing.

e31 controller is set to DMX mode.  No CBTs connected.  Stand alone.

Using e31, can see machine, configure, setup ports etc.  I for the love of money cannot insert the e31 device into the Sequence Editor and get the basics to show up.

This is my first year doing this - so im not even sure what language to use here.  We have the WOWlights kit.  3 x CBT controllers and 2 x e31.

To trouble shoot above i have eliminated everything but 1 x e31 controller with 1 tree linked to it... and im out of ideas.

I know this is a stupid rookie error - I cannot find it - help... please..

Edited by andrewbrummer
more context

14 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Did you add the E1-31 controller in network Preferances 

Thanks - yes.  System setup 5 universes by default.  Also checked the "Allow DMX" setting.  I have tried to connect to 'n' of 5 universes, collapse into one.  Tried Multi-cast and single.

9 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

What E-31 controller are you using do you have a test mode on cotroller to see if lights work 

Using WOWlights Pixcon E1.31.  Hardware test feature runs and displays all lights.  

Well than the problem you have is the way you have the channels added in lor you said you added universe 1  did you add the channels for each pixel in sequence editor 

8 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Well than the problem you have is the way you have the channels added in lor you said you added universe 1  did you add the channels for each pixel in sequence editor 

Thanks Dennis.

I created a new SE.  with defaults.  Right Click on a line and say "Insert Device Below".  It opens the add device box.  In the Box it asks for

Name: DMX

Device: DMX Universe

Add as group: Checked

Universe: Universe 1

Channels: Radio button selected

Leave at 16 channels

Next box is disabled and have "1 Pixel" in it

Click ok

Expand the DMX 1.1

Right click select "Convert to RGB Channel"

Opens Dialog.

Name: Leave as default

Red: Default

Green: Default

Blue: Default

Check "Also do this fot the following channels"

Enter 4 channels

It returns me back to the SE screen with top 4 now RGB.

Add skimmer to the top 4

Save

Play 

Crickets :)

I am running 25 pixels on a set.  I have tried both multicast and unicast.    If I try create 1 universe the system defaults to creating 3.  DOnt quite understand this part yet.

I cannot find any videos that walk through the plug in of the E1.31 through to getting the lights running... i have to believe something is out there - I just cannot find it.

When you insert a new device below do not pick DMX, since you are using a Pixcon16 choose Pixcon.  A box will then open and you can choose a LOR network or DMX network that is where you choose DMX.

Hey all - thanks for the help on this.  Turns out it was a number of things.  Got on the support line with the WOWLights team.  Short run down.

• the controllers were set to communicate by LOR
  • IP in multicast was was not setting itself to the devices static IP address
  • in LOR was mapping Channels vs Mapping the Pixels in
  • OOB E31s had old firmware on
  • The Pixels were 5v and transformers 12v - so each time i accidentally got something right I blew the string of Pixels
  • DMX Universes were created incorrectly

That was an incredibly frustrating 3 days.

This is some clearly complex stuff and the barrier to entry very very high.  There are a ton of videos describing discreet steps, however - with the range and variety of things on can configure and extend to I expect beyond the basics would be near impossible to create a single video tutorial.

All I can say is Kudos to the WOWLights team.  remote into my PC and just walked the errors.  Very professional.  clearly experiences numb-nutts like me before.