Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums

Recommended Posts

Hi, just finished setting up yesterday.

I am having a problem with a blow mold candle it won't light up.   I checked to be sure the extension cord is working and that the bulb is good.  It must be the fuse in the plug.  I haven't had a chance to check it with a multi-meter yet.  I have replaced the fuse once before with the spare fuse that came with it, so I no longer have any spares.

I am not sure where I can get a new fuse.  Radio Shack would have been a good choice, but, I don't think there are any in my area any more.  Does anyone know where I might look for a replacement fuse?

The fuse has blown for a reason, any idea how I can figure out what is causing the fuse to blow?

Thanks

Jerry

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 If the candle uses a C7 bulb just get a new wire and socket from Walmart. They are like three dollars. If it  is a full size lightbulb, you can get one at home depot. There is probably a broken wire somewhere in the cord. 

Edited by Brian Mitchell
Spellcheck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not a C7 bulb.  It is a standard size light bulb, like you would put into a light fixture in your home.  I think it is either a 40w or a 60w bulb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LORisAwesome said:

It is not a C7 bulb.  It is a standard size light bulb, like you would put into a light fixture in your home.  I think it is either a 40w or a 60w bulb.

Have you confirmed that the light is good?

Personally I would put in a new socket cord and plug with an LED bulb if not for anything else just to know that I can rely on it.  The nice thing about LED as you don't have a filament that will go out if it gets bumped or shaken by the wind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on using a dimmable LED

What fuse (where)? In the CTB16?  You blew a 15A fuse and heard nothing? Usually a whisker arc leaves a blacken smudge .

Maybe the socket shell (insides) is loose.  Replace it (or use a replacement stake light assembly from a home store)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

+1 on using a dimmable LED

What fuse (where)? In the CTB16?  You blew a 15A fuse and heard nothing? Usually a whisker arc leaves a blacken smudge .

Maybe the socket shell (insides) is loose.  Replace it (or use a replacement stake light assembly from a home store)

The fuse is in the blow mold male plug, not one of my controllers.  The blow mold is static, so it is not connected to a LOR controller.  Sorry for the confusion.

The light socket is in the flame part of the candle.  It looks to be specially made by the blow mold manufacturer.  (General Foam - I think)

This is the blow mold.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00851KC0Y/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00851KC0Y&pd_rd_r=e10d1a51-c884-11e7-9821-4b13dd402765&pd_rd_w=baQYa&pd_rd_wg=AIyYz&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=FRXBA57NJ4YA180MQ99J&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cf9d009-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LORisAwesome said:

The fuse is in the blow mold male plug, not one of my controllers.  The blow mold is static, so it is not connected to a LOR controller.  Sorry for the confusion.

The light socket is in the flame part of the candle.  It looks to be specially made by the blow mold manufacturer.  (General Foam - I think)

This is the blow mold.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00851KC0Y/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00851KC0Y&pd_rd_r=e10d1a51-c884-11e7-9821-4b13dd402765&pd_rd_w=baQYa&pd_rd_wg=AIyYz&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=FRXBA57NJ4YA180MQ99J&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cf9d009-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop

That is a pretty clear indication of a (water-rust?) damaged  socket or pinched cord .  Home Depot/Lowes have drawers with specialty lamp sockets .  If it is a pinch, split the SPT a few inches, and use pieces of electrical tape on BOTH leads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   Just use a meter. Find the problem with in 10 minutes. Check for input voltage. Then check for voltage at socket. Then you check voltage at input of candle. 

 

    I seen  a web site that sold light bulbs that flicker. Not sure if they had them in a normal light bulb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it working again last night.  I found a fuse at Home Depot - didn't think Home Depot carried that type of fuse.  The plug says to use a fuse rated at 125v 5amp max.  I actually replaced it with a 1amp fuse. The bulb in it is 40w so 1amp will work and should be safer than the 5 amp fuse.

I will check for rust and pinched cord, and check the voltages.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Richard365 said:

 If you don't have them. Flickering light bulb would give it a cool effect.  Do a search " flickering light bulb ". Do it on youtube and watch videos to see what kind you like best.

 

Wal-Mart flickering light

Neon (discharge) is voltage (limited range) sensitive.  These would be for direct line (wall outlet) voltage use.  

LOR Shimmer and Intensity variations would sort of simulate this YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×