Light-O-Rama Forums

Hiding CTB16PC control box.

Richard365

I am just wondering how everybody is hiding there boxes . I really don't feel like building them. Did anybody find any kind of decoration I can buy  to would blend in.

My only controllers that are out in the yard are three CCP controllers for my arches.  They are covered by a black plastic trash bag.  although that is more for rain / sprinkler protection rather than visual.

2014_2_arches.jpg

Mine are on 3ft angle iron about 2 feet off the ground. I was worried about covering  them in snow.  But if you were worried about it and you have them up like me turn them so the angle faces the street and put candy cane spinners on Them. Or maybe hide them behind  those arch fans?

15 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

I do the same as Mega Arch (Daniel). I spray them flat black. Can't see them during the show.

DSC09261_zpsb6ix70uf.jpg

No, I do the same as you do. Saw it first when you were spraying Papa’s controllers. 

I leave mine gray.  (Or whatever other color they might be.)  When it gets dark they can't be seen.

I leave all of my controllers totally uncovered.  Every one of them is in a weather proof enclosure.

If people pay attention to your controllers (or even notice them) while the lights are running you don't have a controller problem.  You have a sequencing problem.  And hiding your controllers will have no effect on that.

• Haha 2

I see many of the covered controllers shown here ON THEIR BACK. :o  That keeps water IN, if there is any  leak.

LOR and the CG1500 (and family) are intended to be mounted vertical (usually on the side of houses ,originally datacom use) They are designed to drain small leaks.

The only time extra care is needed, is exposure to sprinkler systems with the water spray from the ground up.   Looking at the mud splash on the house: I like to keep the AC connections (like LOR pigtails) about 18" above  grade.

My concern is. It only takes one bad apple ro ruin the fun. Some punk seeing the box during the daytime. He might not know what it is. But, decides to steal it to get some cash. I would like to try to hid them. I do keep most of them in the back yard behind the fence. Wasn't sure someone found a activity seen that would help hide them.  

I buy screw ground anchors and cable locks. Padlocked to the ground keeps punks out. Crooks have better things to do. 

My 3 controllers will be near the front of our house and I'm going to padlock them to 3 or 4 cinder blocks using security cable. 

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

So far I have never heard of anyone having a controller stolen.

Might be because majority think proactive and secure or hide them.

And sometimes my luck runs in the wrong direction. So I don't take any chances. LOL

It probably all started with my parents which had some yard decorations stolen many years ago and then I caught someone in the act of stealing my next door neighbors yard decor years later.

So, yep. I don't chance it. 

3 hours ago, George Simmons said:

I leave mine gray.  (Or whatever other color they might be.)  When it gets dark they can't be seen.

I leave all of my controllers totally uncovered.  Every one of them is in a weather proof enclosure.

If people pay attention to your controllers (or even notice them) while the lights are running you don't have a controller problem.  You have a sequencing problem.  And hiding your controllers will have no effect on that.

It's the little things in life George. :D

• Haha 1

I keep mine in the garage and just run very, very long extension cords under the garage door to the various components.  It helps that my entire property is only 1/4 an acre.

I know you do not feel like building them but I made cubes built out of 1/2" sche3dule 40 pvc. The top has a pvc cross connecting into pvc "t's around the top sides.  The controllers are suspended from the top cross.  After everything is wired up I cover the entire cube with a vinyl table cloth (buy the largest ones) from Walmart or Dollar General.  I also found ithe internet split pvc that will fit over the 1/2 inch pvc that holds the table cloth onto the cubes.  Once the cubes are covered with the table cloths they look like big packages,

2 hours ago, Jaynee said:

I keep mine in the garage and just run very, very long extension cords under the garage door to the various components.  It helps that my entire property is only 1/4 an acre.

I did that for last year, but this year the runs got way to long for the pixels... So we moved two of them out to the front yard...

Ours are mounted under black storage containers. The storage containers are staked into the ground with 8" stakes.... The black makes them virtually invisible during the show... And it gives them an extra layer of protection for my piece of mind.  :lol:

I hide all mine behind my "vintage" shrubbery planted along the foundation of the house. This hides them from view and also affords some weather protection from the eaves. They are mounted about 2' off the ground on a 2x4 on a plywood base to keep everything off the ground and away from water. But, I also agree...if people are looking at your controllers instead of the show you have a bigger problem!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Richard365 said:

My concern is. It only takes one bad apple ro ruin the fun. Some punk seeing the box during the daytime. He might not know what it is. But, decides to steal it to get some cash. I would like to try to hid them. I do keep most of them in the back yard behind the fence. Wasn't sure someone found a activity seen that would help hide them.  

You have somewhat of a point.  I do attach mine to the inside of our chain link fence rather than the outside.

But I'd be more concerned that your bad apple would be more apt to snatch copper than he/she would be interested in a control box that takes 19 connections to remove.  Plus freeing it from whatever restraints physically attach it to it's environment.  I don't see a casual thief taking that much time out in plain sight. 

I do believe, however, that such a person would likely be more interested in whatever they think is so valuable that someone took the time and effort to conceal.  Just another reason why I leave my controllers laying around in plain sight wherever they're used.  What kind of fool would leave something valuable just laying there in plain sight??? 

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

So far I have never heard of anyone having a controller stolen.

Me either Jim, and we've both been around a long time in this hobby. 

But I HAVE heard of thieves helping themselves to an easy haul of copper.