Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel tree hardware

Stephan Sherrick

New to LOR.   I have 3 GEN 2 AC controllers and a Pixcon 16.  Planning on a 32 string 360 degree tree along with 48 channels of AC.   I want to add a 270 node smart pixel star.  What controller do you recommend and how would you connect everything?   I have one high speed adapter.  Need help with what else I should buy.  Thanks  

For starters you will need a second USB to RS-485 adapter.  The Pixcon requires an enhanced network, and the Gen 2 AC controllers wont work on an enhanced network, so you would need to run two LOR networks.  That would also require a Pro level LOR software license in order to use an enhanced network.  An alternative would be to run the Pixcon in E1.31 mode which would require connecting to the show computer via Ethernet.  Then you could run your AC controllers on a non-enhanced network.  This alternative would require an Advanced level  license.

I am assuming that you intend to fully load the 16 ports on the Pixcon for the 32 string tree.  To drive the 270 node pixel star (same thing I have), could easily be done with a Pixie 4 controller.  This requires operating at 500K or 1000K speed, but does not have to be enhanced.  For reference, my 270 pixels are configured as three strings of 90 pixels, although I'm driving mine with three ports from a SanDevices E682 E1.31 controller.

If I were you and were trying to stay in the LOR family, I would get a Pixie 4 to drive the Pixel Star, and a second High Speed USB to RS-485 adapter.  Run two networks - one for your existing Gen 2 AC controllers at 56K or 115K speed and non-enhanced mode, and a second network at either 500K or 1000K speed and enhanced mode to drive the Pixie 4 and the Pixcon16.  You would need to upgrade to a Pro level LOR license, but my standard recommendation to people is to do so anyway because it gives you all the software features and eventually you are going to want most of those features anyway.  You might want to reference the page below on what controllers and adapters work with the different network speeds and modes.

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

50 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Thank you for the response.   This is exactly what I needed to know.   I have pro level software.   Considered a PIXIE 8 to give me a little more room to expand in the future.   

Edited by Stephan Sherrick
Corrected word

7 hours ago, Stephan Sherrick said:

Thank you for the response.   This is exactly what I needed to know.   I have pro level software.   Considered a PIXIE 8 to give me a little more room to expand in the future.   

I am discovering that Pixels don't like to be very far from their controller. (Notice k6ccc's controller is at the TOP of the tree. Feeds the star and the tree 'branches') or the strings broken into spaced segments (25 jumper cable 25 jumper cable 25. 75px total. the last 25 is a disaster. more pixie4's on my spring sale buy list :), or switch to DUMB RGB and KISS, where all I need to worry about is I*R drop)

This might be a case where more is not better

13 hours ago, Stephan Sherrick said:

I’m with The Ducks, unless they are right next to each other, don’t plan on combining props onto a single pixel controller.  Some pixel technologies are very length limited, and some can go much farther.  If I remember right, 2811 pixels are limited to something less than 10 feet, and on the other extreme, GE Color Effects have been reported to work over 75 feet (I have 182 of them that are on 35 foot cables).

The other thing is that some pixel controllers are limited to one type of pixel technology or color order for the board.  That creates problems if that other prop uses different pixels.

I appreciate the advice on this one.   I decided to postpone putting a star on the tree this year.  Going to wait for the spring sale to get another controller.   So for this year I will have a 360 pixel tree and 48 channels of AC.   Half of the AC channels for singing snowman and singing light bulbs.   I definitely bit off more than I could chew but with the help and generosity of several people on these forums,  I will have a presentable display.  Thank you all.

39 minutes ago, Stephan Sherrick said:

I appreciate the advice on this one.   I decided to postpone putting a star on the tree this year.  Going to wait for the spring sale to get another controller.   So for this year I will have a 360 pixel tree and 48 channels of AC.   Half of the AC channels for singing snowman and singing light bulbs.   I definitely bit off more than I could chew but with the help and generosity of several people on these forums,  I will have a presentable display.  Thank you all.

You'll do just fine. We all feel like that when diving into the pixels. This is also my first year of pixels and Halloween turned out great. Christmas will be even better adding more props.

JR

• The topic was locked