Light-O-Rama Forums
htebault

Superstar sequences into S5?

I am looking for FAQ, or something to address how to properly import an existing Superstar sequence into S5 Sequencer.  I am on the Beta, when using S5 Superstar which does have the correct network configuration for the STAR and CCR's, to then export to sequencer - When I then open that file in S5 Sequencer, using the current show-view (which includes the STAR and CCR's plus other elements, I only get one channel, the first STAR channel, nothing else.

Any links to FAQ or info on if this is possible, or how to do it ?

I posted a video of how to do what you are asking in this thread

It is important to note that your sequencing grid in SS must match exactly  with your grid that is shown to you in SS when you choose "Insert Superstar Effect" from S5.

This means the starting pixel, the layout all must be the same for a successful import of a sequence from SS to S5.

1 hour ago, htebault said:

(which includes the STAR and CCR's plus other elements, I only get one channel, the first STAR channel, nothing else.

This sounds like you do not have the prop(s) grouped together. It will take some experimenting on your part to create a proper group that matches your original SS grid. If this doesn't make sense ask more questions and maybe I can do a video to show you how I set up my props.

Hope this helps

Alan...

Alan  - thanks, that trick to Insert a SS show by using  SS Effects is very helpful. Now, I just need to figure out how to properly group the STAR and 12 CCR channels together so that they appear as one effects row I think.

I have a 12 CCR tree, with a 6 channel star.  The design lists Star1-6 and CCR1-12, then I grouped CCR1-12 into one group called CCRTree. In another group named CCRTree_Group, I included both the CCRTree and the 6 star channels, setting the Arrangement to be User Preview (which shows the 6 stars above the 12 CCR tree.)

When I use this CCRTree_Group as a Design Elemement - and choose that row to Insert SS commands - I do get SS, but only the 12CCR tree, no star elements.  Thoughts on how/what to do to properly define this combined element so it can work together ?

I don't have a star on the top of my tree, I have a spinner. While it's different I would think it be setup similar in Preview (S5). I'm looking over my props (tree and spinner) to see how I set them up. The spinner needed a fix that was  included in 5.0.12. My spinner isn't Nested. (which I would assume your Star will be)

What I remember doing was starting with a New Prop (so as not to mess u what I had) and import the tree, then import the star. Group the Tree (Horz) and Group the Star (Nested). Then Group the two props together.

It is best to test on a new animation, until you have it set properly. Then edit your main Preview to include this new prop. What I did was to name this prop (tree & star) in my main preview as RGB Tree & Star Import from SS.

The "Import from SS" reminds me that this prop is the one to use when importing from SS as it is already setup for it. As you found out if you use different props you may not get the results you want.

Let me know if it works. Hope this helps.

Alan...

Alan,

It sounds like you did use a combination of individual elements, and groups to build a new group - I was wondering if there might be a limitation where groups could not contain groups, apparently not.

I am now testing different changes to the prop and am also reviewing again the S5 documents I can locate to find any clues going forward.  Defining the props is obviously a very important first step. The UI has been changed/improved/confused? so much taking a working show full of props is a bit of a puzzle right now so this interactive discussion helps to track down what is miss configured.

3 minutes ago, htebault said:

Defining the props is obviously a very important first step.

This is the meat and taters of the whole thing. Without this, you are in for frustration. It took me a lot of experimenting to get everything to work properly. I think as more people start using S5 (currently a lot of people are still using S4 because of the seasonal shows they do) this will come up often with those who want to integrate SS in S5.

The best clue I can give you is to open SS and load a sequence that has the Tree & Star in it. Then while (re)building your prop in S5, make sure that the sequencing grids are exactly alike in SS and when the version of SS that opens when you choose "Insert Superstar Effect" in S5.

Can you do a snapshot of what your tree and star grid looks like in SS? maybe I can build one my end to compare.

To do a screenshot in Win 10 follow this example.

1 To open Snipping Tool, select the Start Windows logo Start button button, type snipping tool, and then select it in the search results.

2 To choose the type of snip you want, select Mode (or, in older versions of Windows, the arrow next to New), and then choose Free-form, Rectangular, Window, or Full-screen Snip. When making free-form or rectangular snips, use your mouse to select the area that you want to capture.

Alan...

Getting stars oriented the correct way for use in SuperStar is a problem we are aware of and are working on.

Matt

ahhh, there you go htebault,

I had the same issue with my pixel spinner and it was fixed in 5.0.12. Watch for a new beta release and see if this is included.

Alan...

4 hours ago, MattBrown said:

Getting stars oriented the correct way for use in SuperStar is a problem we are aware of and are working on.

Matt

Thanks - Do you have any example of how the Prop-group should be set for a CCR tree with Star on top ?   I had been setup as the classic Superstar Tree with 6 Star topper.  This combines both 6 LOR channels, and 12 CCR ribbons into one prop. 

You can come close with 5.0.12 and 5.0.14, but the star is upside down compared to the classic SuperStar CCR tree. We are targeting the next release to get this fully resolved.

Matt

On 11/13/2017 at 11:05 PM, MattBrown said:

You can come close with 5.0.12 and 5.0.14, but the star is upside down compared to the classic SuperStar CCR tree. We are targeting the next release to get this fully resolved.

Matt

Could you also comment on how to properly group the star channels and CCR channels so that the Sequencer and SS agree it is a tree with a nested star at the top? The issue of properly defining elements has bit me already. Thanks.

Edited by htebault

If you have imported your preview from Visualizer, then each CCR in the tree should be defined as a Vertical Matrix shape with 1 string of 50 pixels. If there are bulb that are out of alignment in the Visualizer file, a CCR may get imported using the bulb shape. In that case, you will need to manually convert it to a Vertical Matrix shape. Finally the Visualizer prop for the tree should get imported as a S5 preview group with an arrangement of "horizontal stack". Again, if there were bulbs out of alignment in the Visualizer file, you may need to manually set it to "horizontal stack".

If you imported the 6-channel star from Visualizer, it is probably best to just delete it from the S5 preview and recreate it using the S5 star shape:

image.png

Then you need to create a group that combines the ribbons and the star:

image.png