Light-O-Rama Forums

Plug-n-show: CCR-II Super Star Ribbon Tree Kit

Brianc_1978

First of all I searched the forum and couldn't find anything that answers my questions, so here we are..... I've had a mega tree for a few years now. Just normal LEd light strands purchased from Walmart. Well they have to be replaced. (and the wife gave me the go ahead). My tree is built off of my flag pole, I have hooks at the top and it's about 17 ft from top to ground.  I'm looking into purchasing one of these kits, but I can't figure out the difference between the 4. I understand that 2 of the kits are 12 ribbons and 2 are 16 ribbons. I previously had 16 strands of lights so I plan on going w/ 16, but there are 2 different 16 ribbon kits and I can not find a difference between the two other than the price. Also how do these attach normally and what other pieces might I need. I have advance on Light o rama sequence editor and demo on the Superstar. From what I read I will need superstar (or it might make life easier), I plan on renewing my sequence editor license and purchasing the superstar. I ordered most of my light o rama items back in 2014-2015, I assume I will need the high speed connection or can I use the show director? Any Help is appreciated!!

image.png.2979063dd724dee18f7be6c12d62b34b.png

The difference is the controller that is used.  The less expensive package uses the Pixie16 controller and the other uses the Pixcon16 controller.  The Pixie series of controllers are very simple controllers that operate on a high speed LOR network, whereas the Pixcon16 controller is a far more advanced controller that gives far more capabilities and will operate on a high speed enhanced LOR network or an Ethernet network using E1.31.  The Pixcon16 can also output DMX over RS-485 to drive downstream DMX devices.  You can go to the RGB devices section of the LOR website to learn more of the differences.

I see that now. So dont need to order anything else other than the kit and software? also does lor sale a star for a tree that is rgb

Edited by Brianc_1978

11 hours ago, Brianc_1978 said:

I assume I will need the high speed connection or can I use the show director?

Interesting that the descriptions for these trees don't say you will need the RS485hs Hi Speed (Red) USB adapter.

Yes you will need one. Some people like to have another one for a backup.

http://store.lightorama.com/usbrs485hs.html

Alan...

Edited by default

53 minutes ago, default said:

Interesting that the descriptions for these trees don't say you will need the RS485hs Hi Speed (Red) USB adapter.

Yes you will need one. Some people like to have another one for a backup.

http://store.lightorama.com/usbrs485hs.html

Alan...

Or 10 for expansion. You know I thought the very same thing when I got my first one. Luckily I read and read before ordering. Actually my first ones I purchased off another member here, he order 2016 sale but they didn't come in on time so he had to order a pixcon.

JR

so do i need it for the pixcon controller? ? based on your comment.

18 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

he order 2016 sale but they didn't come in on time so he had to order a pixcon.

also can i use this connection type over the easy light linker?

Edited by Brianc_1978

4 minutes ago, Brianc_1978 said:

so do i need it for the pixcon controller? ? based on your comment.

It depends

Yes, if you want to run it the easy way over the LOR enhanced network

No, (I believe) if you run it over E131

Someone step in if I am wrong. I do not use E131. All of my stuff is LOR network enhanced.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

It depends

Yes, if you want to run it the easy way over the LOR enhanced network

Nope.  ELLs won't support 500K speed and that is the minimum for an Pixcon.

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

No, (I believe) if you run it over E131

That part is correct.  ELL only handles RS-485 networking and E1.31 is Ethernet.

What you can do with the Pixcon is run it in E1.31 mode using a WiFi bridge.

Edited by k6ccc
Corrected a brain fade on my part.

13 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Nope.  ELLs won't support 500K speed and that is the minimum for an Pixcon.

That part is correct.  ELL only handles RS-485 networking and E1.31 is Ethernet.

What you can do with the Pixcon is run it in E1.31 mode using a WiFi bridge.

When I typed my reply ELLS were not mentioned. He edited it probably around same time I posted.

JR

WiFi bridge ..good idea... any particular one recommended? I’m thinking one that plugs in power so I can leave it outside

also can you expand a bit on the WiFi bridge ....am I hooking the bridge up through the USB adapter, or it just to get my network outside to the devices. I thought I have to go through the USB adapter to cat 5in order for the software to find it?

Edited by Brianc_1978

• The topic was locked