Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon16 with CTB16PC

Aussie Andrew

Hi all

I have a Pixcon16 working on a E1 31 network and I have decided to add a CTB16PC box beside it, can I run the existing  RJ45 cable into the CTB16PC first then with a short cable back into the Pixcon16 board and run both units or do I have to run a new cable 

Thanks

The PixCon16 is operating on an Ethernet network whereas the CTB16PC is expecting a RS-485 network.  They are not compatible.  In fact you COULD let the magic blue smoke out of something by plugging them together.

With that said, what you CAN do is to use a DMX OUTPUT from the Pixcon16, and then operate the CTB16PC in DMX mode.

The other option would be to run the Pixcon16 on a LOR network instead of Ethernet, and then you could daisy chain them on the LOR network.  There are a couple of gotchas here.  The Pixcon16 when operating on a LOR network REQUIRES either 500K or 1000K speed and enhanced mode.  The CTB16PC will work at 500K enhanced ONLY if it's a Gen3 controller, and it can't run at 1000K speed.

Word of warning:  Carefully read the manual to know what ports on the Pixcon16 are used for what type of networking (else you could be back to letting the magic blue smoke out of something).

What Jim said

IMHO KISS.  Get a HS version of the LOR485  USB adapter and run 2 networks (LOR and e1.31)

AND

Use an absolutely different color of CAT5 cables than used for your (home) Ethernet. Magic smoke is no fun, and at this time of the year, LOR is under heavy work load and supplies may run short.

+1 on the different color Cat-5 cable.  In my case LOR network is Purple, E1.31 is Green, my “normal” home LAN is Blue, and my “public” and “private” WiFi networks are White and Gray respectively.

• The topic was locked