Light-O-Rama Forums
htebault

Possible dimming curve probem w exist/Superstar seq.

I had initially posted a question in the general BETA group, but it turns out this is likely a bug, possibly resulting in some Superstar instructions being set to low (therefore not showing up at all)  due to some dimming curve issue -

Existing sequence, initially a Superstar sequence, merged into a LOR sequence in 2013 and upgraded since then. The problem is several images that show in Superstar, and show in S5 Sequencer Preview, but do not show up on the actual CCR tree. 

Computer Win7, 8Gb on a Intel i3 3.7ghz

S5, v 5.0.12

LOR Aux A network, Com4, 500k enhanced (used for only 12 CCR tree)

CCR version 1.19 firmware

Information has been given to Matt and Brian B. along with a video of the CCR output seen.

Any dimming curve applied by S5 is entirely within your control. The dimming curves are set on the Prop Definition screen -- at the top of the "Lights" section. If the curve selection is set to "none", then no dimming is being applied in the S5 software.

Matt

The CCR tree was set for PIXEL Curve, not sure why, but I changed it to NONE, saved the modified preview design, saved the S5 sequence, then run it using Show on Demand - resulted in no change to the loss of the show display items that show up on the S5 Preview Design screen, but not on the actual CCR's.

1 hour ago, htebault said:

saved the S5 sequence,

And saved the playback files?

resulted in no change to the loss of the show display items that show up on the S5 Preview Design screen, but not on the actual CCR's

Not sure what you mean. No change to the on-screen playback would be expected. But I would expect it to change the real lights.

Matt

The steps I used did not include a separate 'save the playback files', so no.  On the loss of show display - that is reference to the actual CCR tree, outside.  Tonight, I will do that as well and see it it does make a difference to the CCR Tree.

So, if I have saved the change to configuration of a show element in the preview design, then used that preview design on a sequence - I have to both save the sequence file, and save playback files as a separate step before any change will be useful in the show.

4 hours ago, htebault said:

So, if I have saved the change to configuration of a show element in the preview design, then used that preview design on a sequence - I have to both save the sequence file, and save playback files as a separate step before any change will be useful in the show.

Correct.

If you have 10 sequences that reference the same preview and you change the preview, the playback files for all 10 sequences need to be re-saved.

Matt

Yes, thanks.  Why is it that you choose to not create playback files when saving the sequence? I will certainly save the sequence, and then save the playback files each time.

Yes, thanks.  Why is it that you choose to not create playback files when saving the sequence? I will certainly save the sequence, and then save the playback files each time.

Very simple.  While sequencing a song, I may save it a hundred times or more.  Only the last one will ever be used to actually control a show.  No point in taking the time to create the play files for all but that last one if they will never be used.

BTW, Jim's standard advise.  Every time you save your sequence, use a new filename.  That way it's easy to go back to a previous version if you find that you just don't like what you just spent an hour doing, or a file gets corrupted.  My recommendation is to put either the date and time or date and a revision letter as part of the filename.  For example:

Joy to the World 2017-11-12a

Joy to the World 2017-11-12_1745

Also use the date order that I did because it make filename sorts come out right.

The issue of dimming curves has been resolved. It happened that my CCR prop - got set with Curves = PixelCurve, but should be Curves = NONE. The effect of using PixelCurve was to change the output lighting on the CCR ribbon, and certain display instructions simply were below a thresh hold and did not display.  Once I changed the Curve = NONE for the CCR prop, then saved, then saved the Sequence, and created NEW show output files - the CCR tree then properly displayed the information.