Light-O-Rama Forums

"Lights On" in two weeks!!!

Santas Helper

Dec 1st---LIGHTS ON!!! I am soooooooo READY!! Just got done synchronizing, last week I buried data, power and co-ax inside PVC to 2 boxes for a permanent plug and play ready system!! Next weekend I will start putting up the strips and my grid along with all the strobes!!! I can't wait to see what this is gonna look like!!! Wish I had ONE MORE LOR but Ill have to compromise with what I have!! Adding PYRO this year!!!

2017ns.jpg

Edited by joopers7

Spent 10 hours both Yesterday and today in the garage and front yard. The only thing I had left was to stand the mega tree. Up, up, up ....snap! Well, need to wrap my mind around quickly on how to get a mega tree put together. Bend my 3 channels star when it hit the ground. :-(   I have tried to straighten it out, no luck so far. I love this awesome hobby even the challenges 

I got yesterday in. Got most of the high roof stuff done. Today was misty rainy and even some snow fluries. Good thing is that I am on vacation for next 2 weeks to get things done. Weather forecast is rain Wednesday and Friday and Saturday. Then turning off cold next week. But I guess we will get it done.

I have to put up 1 spotlight on my tune too sign and on my wife's window painting, hang 1 giant 9.5ft tall bethlaham star and all my decorations are up and wired. 8 also need my new usb485 dongle after backing over the other and im ready 

Edited by Thebug

2nd year LOR user and have been updating my sequences since late October as we added 5 additional palm trees in the front yard.  I bought additional strings in January to line them with red, green and white.  We can't wait, but will hopefully go live the weekend of Thanksgiving.

I’m glad I got most of everything up on the weekend on 11/04 because I was sick the following weekend (chest cold).  Did a lot of software stuff, but not much in the yard.    Got Zara Radio running on my FM Monday evening.  Had to edit the daylights out my Zara events because I bought a bunch of new VoiceOvers from The Demented Elf.  Still more of that to do.  The only setup left in the yard is a yard perimeter string and my Tune To signs.  Now that Zara is running 24x7 I really should get the Tune To signs up soon - maybe tonight...

I've been running sequences every morning as I leave for work.  I watch one or two songs, and then it goes back to Zara Radio.  Only found a few things that gotta get fixed :)

9 days 1 hour 6 minutes till opening as I type this - but who’s counting...

Lights on in 4 days. November 20. Problems: 2 wire reversed on CMB24D controller, wire color wrong on pigtail on CMB24D controller, Had to do a hard reset on a CMB24D controller to get 2 trees to work. One bad power supply on Pixel tree. Wiring fault. My fault get some wires wrong from this summer. And one bad RJ45 on a 16 channel controller. Will sent in after the show next year. Also one bad set of RGB's from WOW lights. Replaced them not problem. All tested and working. Ready to start.

HVACR

My first night of "lights on" is Thanksgiving. I figure it would be nice for all the neighbors to be able to bring their friends and family by to watch the display. I am just finishing up building the last element of the display which should be done by Saturday. I will begin installation on Sunday and work through Thanksgiving Day to be ready for that evening. I would not say I am behind schedule, however I am pushing myself to do a little bit more work these last few days than I had intended. Loving every second of it!

K6ccc

You must have a long distance cold, I got it also 2 days ago, kept me down for a day only, runny nose and cough thru today but was able to work on my mega tree, almost up, we have our 10 houses almost done, 3 mega trees still have to go up and lights on one house, then should be able to go live Wednesday for the grandkids coming over for Thanksgiving a day early due to parent plans.

Keith

55 minutes ago, Kapkirk said:

K6ccc

You must have a long distance cold, I got it also 2 days ago, kept me down for a day only, runny nose and cough thru today but was able to work on my mega tree,

You must have gotten it light.  I was down for most of four days and for most of that there was no way I could have done any real serious work.  Glad you got off easy.

I have to say this has been the most challenging setup in the 12 years of doing LOR shows.  Halloween setup was great - temperatures in the 70's working in short sleeves.  Takedown of Halloween completely different story.  Got out 11/3 (Friday) and took some stuff in.  Next day rain - all day making yard mud.  Halloween finally down on the 5th and start on house same day.  Last weekend rains Saturday all day.  Sunday OK, but yard is mud.  Was able to do some things during short daylight after work and fixed a few loose connections.  Still have neighbors yard to do - 3 large props.  Tomorrow more rain or possibly snow.  And cables coming in today from China to finish up 4 hacked LED "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays" wreaths from Menards.  This is cutting it close - black Friday (I like to call it LIGHTS Friday) has been the traditional start.  I do turn on my host, "Douglas Fir", as a tease early.  First few nights just sleeping, then wakes every 30 seconds and looks around going back to sleep, 2 days before wakes, sees a simple chase around the yard and smiles.   

On 11/16/2017 at 10:50 PM, k6ccc said:

You must have gotten it light.  I was down for most of four days and for most of that there was no way I could have done any real serious work.  Glad you got off easy.

I'm beginning to think I should have taken an extra off day now, the dang cold seems to be hanging around more, and now the wife looks like she is coming down with it, bad timing, Grandkids and family coming over Wednesday is cutting it close. But the good side is I only have a couple more trees to put up and waiting on the son to come Monday to help us haul the singing trees up on the neighbors roof and then we will be in test mode, a day early if I guessed right.

Keith

I'm scheduled off Monday and debating half days Tuesday and Wednesday to complete and test. I got a little behind because of the brutal wind today and knee/shoulder issues. Sucks getting old(er).

Adding new 16ea RWB&G mini trees this year so new wiring (3,300 ft of wiring) and 64 female & males plugs is eating some of the planned time... I underestimated.

I've still got a lot to do and testing as well. No pressure though, right? LOL

1 hour ago, Dennis Laff said:

Only about half setup raining all Saturday in Chicago  ,But I'm retired so will be ready on Friday!

I can't wait to retire in hopefully 3 years when I'm eligible age wise. I can only imagine the freedom of time.... When I'm on leave. Lol

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

I can't wait to retire in hopefully 3 years when I'm eligible age wise. I can only imagine the freedom of time.... When I'm on leave. Lol

The best part of being retired is a lot of time to enjoy the Christmas hobby  the worst part trying to get up off the ground after pluging in all those wires!

Well, yesterday I finished my setup.Last thing to do was set that audio level on the FM and put out the Tune To signs.  Did that shortly before going to bed.  Had 20 minutes of the show set to run this morning for test as I was leaving the house to go to work. 

DAMN!

One of the Tune To signs was not on, and worse, none of the 402 GE Color Effects lights on the eves and roof peak line were running.  The GECE bulbs were working yesterday afternoon while doing some testing.  Tried to ping the E682 controller that drives the GECE bulbs and it's not responding.  There is a four port network switch in the attic that supplies E1.31 connectivity for the pixel tree and the E682 for the GECE bulbs, and the pixel tree is working, so I have network connectivity to within three feet of the E682.  So either the 5V power supply died, the E682 died, or a LAN cable came loose.  No one has been in the attic so I doubt it's the LAN cable.  That leaves the power supply or the E682.  First guess is the power supply.  That would be nice as I have a spare in stock.  If it's the E682, I can steal the one that drives the perimeter string, and just use my WS2811 test generator to make some pattern on the one string until I replace the E682.  I guess I'm happy it died today and not Friday (opening night)!