Light-O-Rama Forums

Lor to DMX crossover question

Quefol

Hello i have 2 CTB16PC controllers that   would like to run in DMX mode. My question is would I need a crossover cable for both controllers or just one for the first and use a strait through cable to daisy chain to the second. 

Depends on what you are driving them with.  IF the device that is driving them is using the "DMX standard" for wiring on a RJ-45 connector, you would need a DMX to LOR conversion cable between whatever is driving the first controller and the first controller.  Use a straight through cable between the first and second controllers.

If whatever is driving them is using the "LOR standard", then use a straight cable between the driver and first controller and then another straight cable between the first and second controllers.  An example of this would be if you use the LOR USB to RS-485 adapter, it will be using the "LOR standard" regardless if it sending out LOR or DMX commands.

Thanks. Im going to be using a e1.31 DMX bridge with a rj 45 connection. So I guess i would need a crossover on only the first controller  and staight though cable to the second

18 minutes ago, Quefol said:

Thanks. Im going to be using a e1.31 DMX bridge with a rj 45 connection. So I guess i would need a crossover on only the first controller  and staight though cable to the second

You didn't read what k6ccc stated in his post, you would need a DMX to LOR conversion cable. A crossover cable would just reverse a DMX cable and is not the same as a LOR conversion cable, power and date on different pins.

Jim will correct me if I am wrong but on DMX data is pins 1 &2 and power is 7&8. On LOR data is on pins 4&5 and power on 3&6.

Edited by Mr. P

• The topic was locked