Light-O-Rama Forums
keyboards

Possible RJ11 or RJ45 damage?

Okay, I've searched the forums and can't seem to find a definitive answer to this, so I'm hoping someone might know.

I have 11 LOR1602W controllers driven by a LOR1602WG3-MP3 inside a tree with 185 circuits on it.  I was moving some wiring around and accidentally plugged the Cat 5 coming from controller 0b into the RJ11 jack (BTW, whose brilliant idea was it to put a RJ11 "interface" there with an RJ45 jack?!?  RJ11's are, by their physical nature, a 6-pin connector and not nearly as wide as a '45).  Both were then turned on.

When controller 0c was reading 'no conn', I went to inspect and found the error of my ways and shut them off.  However, I smelled something that approximated a very hot resistor or other component in the controller.  I shut it off immediately and haven't touched it, deciding it would be better to leave it off and find out if I fried something.

What say you?  Is this a possibility that it is fried?  Please let me know ASAP, as I have this tree to light this coming Saturday and I will need to FedEx in another controller if this one is shot.

Thanks for any and all replies!!

I'm really wondering about this since it's physically impossible to plug a RJ-45 plug into a RJ-11 jack.  I've never have even seen a 1602 controller, but I pulled up the user manual from the website, and the photos clearly show a physically smaller connector for the phone line port.  From what I recall previously reading here, the wiring is the same (at least from the same perspective) - the center two pins are the data, and the next two outward each direction from the center is the + and - power.

Am I missing something here?

As far as "is it damaged", that needs to be answered by someone more involved inn the internals of the hardware.

Well, that's what I would  have thought too, but I re-verified this morning, that I could plug my RJ45 connector into the RJ11 connector on this 1602 box.  Now, because all of my other boxes were already sealed up (and I had a short turnaround time this AM), I didn't verify that this was an isolated occurrence or if it is how the boxes are assembled normally.  I do plan on finding out though.

The really good news is that the controller still works.  I verified that I wasn't seeing any 'magic smoke' and, although I could still smell some of the lingering fragrance of a possible electrical char, the controller logged up and tested fine by itself and with the other 11 boxes.  After this holiday season though, they're all getting pulled and very visually inspected before putting them away for next year.

Do you know offhand if there are schematic available for the boards?  I wouldn't expect to get any proprietary information about firmware or microprocessor programming, but the general I/O layout and output schemes would be a big plus for us techs out here (I've been doing component-level repair on pro audio equipment for almost 40 years now).