Light-O-Rama Forums

Reliability once the season kicks in

brichi

Does anyone buy backup Pixie controllers? I am just thinking that I am sure once christmas season kicks in that LOR is getting killed with orders and run out of product so if my 16 channel pixie blew out I would be down a week or maybe more, is this the case each year or the stock is usually pretty good where I can have one next day if I paid? 

1 minute ago, brichi said:

Does anyone buy backup Pixie controllers? I am just thinking that I am sure once christmas season kicks in that LOR is getting killed with orders and run out of product so if my 16 channel pixie blew out I would be down a week or maybe more, is this the case each year or the stock is usually pretty good where I can have one next day if I paid? 

I don't use Pixie controllers as all of my pixels are E1.31. However I do have a backup 16 port controller as I run a ribbon tree and a matrix and I also have a backup four port controller and two backup power supplies.

I did buy a backup power supply and 4 rolls of LEDs so I can switch out on the fly if I need, maybe ill drop $100 on a backup 16CH for piece of mind. My 16ch tree is center of attention for my display and if its down for a few days I would be upset

If something happens (knock on wood) and the controller for my tree goes down I would rather it be down for 15 minutes to swap out controllers then a week waiting for a new one to come in.

If there is any one thing to make sure you have as a backup, it would be a RS-485 adapter.  If that fails, your whole show goes down (unless you have multiple networks and then only part goes down).  And they are rather inexpensive.  Unless all your controllers are fully loaded, if a controller goes down, you CAN re-route circuits, but you can't re-route around a failed RS-485 adapter.

39 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

If there is any one thing to make sure you have as a backup, it would be a RS-485 adapter.  If that fails, your whole show goes down (unless you have multiple networks and then only part goes down).  And they are rather inexpensive.  Unless all your controllers are fully loaded, if a controller goes down, you CAN re-route circuits, but you can't re-route around a failed RS-485 adapter.

Exactly why I bought one in the summer sale!  Working on finding a DMX back up now!

• Like 1

• The topic was locked