Light-O-Rama Forums

Alternative wireless option for a PixCon16

Griswold Way Lights

My neighbor across the street and myself have had a combined show for several years and have used wireless light linkers with no problems. Previously we have simply used standard controllers at normal LOR network speed. This year we are both adding high speed network RGB controllers. I'm adding the new Pixie 2 and older CCP100 controllers. My neighbor is adding a PixCon 16. I will be running the show from my house on a PC using 2 LOR networks with one being the normal LOR 56K network and the other Aux A being the high speed 500K network.

Since the EZ lightlinkers will not transmit 500K speeds, what is the solution for running the show to the neighbors PixCon16?

We have to remain wireless since we live across the street from each other and can not run a cable across the street. Trust me, we've asked the city if we can and they regretfully said "NO".

Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy 

Run the Pixcon in E1.31 mode where it is using ethernet connectivity rather than a LOR network.  Then use fairly off the shelf WiFi equipment.  What you are looking for is equipment that will operate as a bridge (not the operating mode that your consumer WiFi access point is using - although it MAY be able to do it).  Unless you are out in the sticks, HIGHLY recommend equipment operating at 5GHz rather than 2.4 GHz.  You really do not want to use the same WiFi that you use for you phone / laptop / etc.

Talk to your local computer Wiz Kid and tell them what you are trying to do and they should be able to get you set up.

So then the the ethernet cable connects to the wifi port at his house and my laptop running the show connects to the wifi wireless?

20 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Run the Pixcon in E1.31 mode where it is using ethernet connectivity rather than a LOR network.  Then use fairly off the shelf WiFi equipment.  What you are looking for is equipment that will operate as a bridge (not the operating mode that your consumer WiFi access point is using - although it MAY be able to do it).  Unless you are out in the sticks, HIGHLY recommend equipment operating at 5GHz rather than 2.4 GHz.  You really do not want to use the same WiFi that you use for you phone / laptop / etc.

Talk to your local computer Wiz Kid and tell them what you are trying to do and they should be able to get you set up.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...