Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with PE Prop Setup

robigd

Hi, I have what is probably a pretty basic question but I cannot figure out how to set it up in PE.

I have a single string of lights that will span one pitch line of my roof with the string starting on the left hand side. I want to be able to control it as if it were 2 separate strings going down from the point of the pitch. The attached image gives a better visual of what I am talking about.

What prop type in PE would I use to set this up? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

string example.png

Edited by robigd

What type of controller would you be using? You could set the controller up for zig-zag, if the controller supports it, then you would configure that string for how many pixels are in each leg.

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

What type of controller would you be using? You could set the controller up for zig-zag, if the controller supports it, then you would configure that string for how many pixels are in each leg.

Thanks for response. Either a pixie2 or pixie4 with CCB's.

Just now, robigd said:

Thanks for response. Either a pixie2 or pixie4 with CCB's.

I don't think the Pixie controllers support zig-zag.

• Thanks 1

Either way, that's not a problem.  Model them as two separate lines, and give them the same Unit ID, but change the "Start Circuit" on the second one.  So, for instance, the first string would be Unit 1 with 20 bulbs using channels (circuits) 1-60 and string two would be Unit 1 with 20 bulbs, but channels (circuits) 61-120.

Edit: Just realized you want control from the middle down either side.  I"m not sure exactly why this is necessary, as the Pixel editor effects can be applied in any way you wish.  You can apply any effect in the PE to go from left to right or right to left; it's just a matter of reversing the effect on either strand.

As I mentioned earlier, you may want to just model them separately and apply the same effect to each, but "mirror" it when you want them doing separate things. 

Edited by lkcubsrule
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lkcubsrule said:

Either way, that's not a problem.  Model them as two separate lines, and give them the same Unit ID, but change the "Start Circuit" on the second one.  So, for instance, the first string would be Unit 1 with 20 bulbs using channels (circuits) 1-60 and string two would be Unit 1 with 20 bulbs, but channels (circuits) 61-120.

Edit: Just realized you want control from the middle down either side.  I"m not sure exactly why this is necessary, as the Pixel editor effects can be applied in any way you wish.  You can apply any effect in the PE to go from left to right or right to left; it's just a matter of reversing the effect on either strand.

As I mentioned earlier, you may want to just model them separately and apply the same effect to each, but "mirror" it when you want them doing separate things. 

Thanks for the response. I will give the modeling a try.

I have 3 pitches on my roof that look like that.  What I did is I ran the actual pixels from the left up and back down to right.  In the Prop Set-up I made 2 separate props as single strands with no extra points.  I assigned Left Side as pixels 1- 20 (or how ever many there are) and the right side as pixels 21- 40 on the same universe.  Then you just plug in the effects you want.  You can also assign the 2 to a group with the "use preview" option and in the effects use the up or down on say "Bars" and it will give the effect you are shooting for.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Little_b said:

I have 3 pitches on my roof that look like that.  What I did is I ran the actual pixels from the left up and back down to right.  In the Prop Set-up I made 2 separate props as single strands with no extra points.  I assigned Left Side as pixels 1- 20 (or how ever many there are) and the right side as pixels 21- 40 on the same universe.  Then you just plug in the effects you want.  You can also assign the 2 to a group with the "use preview" option and in the effects use the up or down on say "Bars" and it will give the effect you are shooting for.

Thanks! This seems to accomplish what I was wanting.

See Page 18 of this presentation:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/PE_Previews_2016.pdf

Each roof segment is defined as a "Matrix Horizontal" shape that is 1 pixel high. Then all of the roof segments are grouped together using arrangement "horizontal stack". This allows control of each segment, or to run effects across the entire roof line (by applying effects at the group level).

Matt

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MattBrown said:

See Page 18 of this presentation:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/PE_Previews_2016.pdf

Each roof segment is defined as a "Matrix Horizontal" shape that is 1 pixel high. Then all of the roof segments are grouped together using arrangement "horizontal stack". This allows control of each segment, or to run effects across the entire roof line (by applying effects at the group level).

Matt

Thank you, Matt.