Light-O-Rama Forums

FM frequency

Light_addiction

How do yall go about choosing what FM channel to select for your lights? 

Do you go through your radio frequencies in your car and see which ones aren't used? 

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Light_addiction said:

How do yall go about choosing what FM channel to select for your lights? 

Do you go through your radio frequencies in your car and see which ones aren't used? 

Thanks!

That is the easiest way.  Try to be at least 2 clicks from the nearest station to prevent bleed over.

30 minutes ago, Don said:

Radio-locator is a good start, but you need to check out the possible candidates by doing lots of listening (especially if you are in a congested radio market).  Once you think you know what frequency you are going to use, listen to it at different times of the day and in different locations up to a mile from your house.

Radio-locator is notoriously incorrect, and it doesn't seem to be updated very often, if at all.  In my area, it still shows available frequencies that a couple of new stations have occupied for two and three years, respectively.

Be smart and listen for yourself.  Check during the day and also during the hours your shows will run.  And as mentioned above, if you can find a spot on the dial where there's nothing at all on adjacent frequencies, that's definitely where to go.

Edited by George Simmons

You will also find differences depending on the time of year you check.  Channel may be clear in summer but during the winter you might find a station coming through.  Know this from personal experience.  has to do with atmospheric conditions which change through the seasons.  Learned about this years ago when I was into ham radio.

15 hours ago, Don said:

There was only one on there that was Best and I believe the one other house in my town that has LOR uses that station.  So that may work out good as we aren't anywhere close to each other.

15 hours ago, Brian Mitchell said:

That is the easiest way.  Try to be at least 2 clicks from the nearest station to prevent bleed over.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Radio-locator is a good start, but you need to check out the possible candidates by doing lots of listening (especially if you are in a congested radio market).  Once you think you know what frequency you are going to use, listen to it at different times of the day and in different locations up to a mile from your house.

Appreciate the tips.  And I'm in the Dallas/Ft Worth market so we are congested. 

7 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Radio-locator is notoriously incorrect, and it doesn't seem to be updated very often, if at all.  In my area, it still shows available frequencies that a couple of new stations have occupied for two and three years, respectively.

Be smart and listen for yourself.  Check during the day and also during the hours your shows will run.  And as mentioned above, if you can find a spot on the dial where there's nothing at all on adjacent frequencies, that's definitely where to go.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, tomsusie said:

You will also find differences depending on the time of year you check.  Channel may be clear in summer but during the winter you might find a station coming through.  Know this from personal experience.  has to do with atmospheric conditions which change through the seasons.  Learned about this years ago when I was into ham radio.

Interesting.  Never knew this.

20 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Look at   http://www.fmfool.com/   Which has colored signal strength maps and Polar charts to help identify stations that might affect your location

Thank you!  I'll check this out.