Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
MeemeeMowMow

Singing Face Basics

Recommended Posts

Hi!

I know I am late to the table, but if I want to set up a simple display having 2-4 singing faces ONLY, NO other lights, what do I need?  And what advice would you give me?  Any advice is welcome other than forget about it! lol

My son will be here over Thanksgiving week and is a computer techy guy in the military and will help me, but I just want to have everything here for him.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly believe you are too late to the game for this year.   It's an awful large can of worms to open if you have not been fishing before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MM

 

What items do you already have and at what stage on construction are you at, and where in Florida, maybe some of us can help, we just started putting up the roof stuff today and will start on gutters and windows tomorrow, we are doing 8 houses but have to spread it out to give the lawns enough time to quit growing to assemble mega trees and other such ground effects.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a lot of singing face sequences. If you need a "special" song just name it and I will whip it up. Provide me with album name, song title ect.

As mentioned above, not to discourage you but being brutally honest, you will not learn how to do it this late in year. 

I can lead you to papagayo but still it will take longer than you have or your son has to learn how to use it. It takes hours upon hours to do the simplest of songs and that is all seat time.

I will help you the best I can. I do not use software but to start out you must understand the basic concepts. so papagayo is the place to start.

PM me a cell and time and I will get you started there.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will also need controllers. Singing faces will eat your controllers alive. 1- singing face 8 or 7 channels depending on if you want an outline. For Christmas an outline is the best way to go.

JR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your brutal honesty!  I have ordered one singing face and will get a controller and buy a pre-sequenced song and play around with it.  I did not have any thoughts of sequencing one myself! 

I have read enough to know that I only can get 2 faces per controller.  I am not really wanting to do any other lights for now, so that is fine by me.

If we get it going by this Christmas, great!  If not, I will have a whole year to make it work for next year!  I really just want to get it to work for my grandkids more than anything!  Next year I would like to do the four faces for out in our yard.  Also, breaking it into a couple of years will spread out the cost for me too.

It has been something I have been wanting to do for a couple years now.  I think I just need to start somewhere!  I will keep you posted if I get it up and running!  I am in Fort Myers.  My son is stationed up in Panama City and works in Cyber Security so he is pretty techy, but he is not down here that often.  I think it will be a fun project for him and I to take on while he is here for a week at Thanksgiving.

Thanks again!  Christine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and I am trying to save some money by buying a used controller on ebay and I will do the led string lights since it seems more newbie friendly than the dumb nodes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MeemeeMowMow said:

Oh and I am trying to save some money by buying a used controller on ebay and I will do the led string lights since it seems more newbie friendly than the dumb nodes. 

Id stay away from used controllers period! In the long run its a crap shoot.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MeemeeMowMow said:

Thank you all for your brutal honesty!  I have ordered one singing face and will get a controller and buy a pre-sequenced song and play around with it.  I did not have any thoughts of sequencing one myself! 

I have read enough to know that I only can get 2 faces per controller.  I am not really wanting to do any other lights for now, so that is fine by me.

If we get it going by this Christmas, great!  If not, I will have a whole year to make it work for next year!  I really just want to get it to work for my grandkids more than anything!  Next year I would like to do the four faces for out in our yard.  Also, breaking it into a couple of years will spread out the cost for me too.

It has been something I have been wanting to do for a couple years now.  I think I just need to start somewhere!  I will keep you posted if I get it up and running!  I am in Fort Myers.  My son is stationed up in Panama City and works in Cyber Security so he is pretty techy, but he is not down here that often.  I think it will be a fun project for him and I to take on while he is here for a week at Thanksgiving.

Thanks again!  Christine

I share everything I produced/ produce. There are plenty just ask an I may have it. Need a special song I can produce it. Nothing better than custom.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Id stay away from used controllers period! In the long run its a crap shoot.

JR

& that can be messy.. :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

& that can be messy.. :P

That's 5 words or 4 words and a character abbreviation LOL

JR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MM

 

You will need a RS485 adapter to connect the controller to your computer, a Cat 5 cable to go from computer to controller, and get some SPT wire enough for the 8 channels (measure distance from controller to face times 8, and a couple bags of SPT vampire plugs both female and male to make up your wiring to the controller to the face. You will also need a LOR license to put on a show.

 

I would agree with dibblejr and Mega Arch, If you can't wait till next year then just purchase the LOR starter package now, it has the license, adapter, data cable and controller. And you could probably get it running in time with a little help, you still have to make a frame to hold the face, look at their web page they have a example, and get the bulbs in the face while you wait on your package.

 

Im over near Jacksonville, if you get stuck or have questions just PM me your phone number and i'll give you a call, kind of hard to give a step by step here, and I'm sure I forgot a couple things but if you purchase a sequence or two you can get the face singing I'm sure.

 

Keith

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I share all of my face sequences 95% any way for free. The other 5% are songs that you cant buy so I don't share, along with sequences I didn't produce.

JR

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!  Ordered my face and my lights and will assemble them as I wait for my controller.  Still looking at used ones (I know, I know) but thinking about a new one from the website.  I would have to get a major deal to order the used one, so not sure that is going to happen :)

I will post my progress!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MM,

This is my first year doing a light show. I have a singing gingerbread woman that is "homemade". I got the idea from "the singing snowman" guy on YouTube.

The best advice I have is to think about what kind of notes the person is singing (whole notes, half notes, quarter note), then transcribe that on sequence editor with different mouth movements...to be honest, being computer savy won't really help with programming. It's more understanding music concepts IMO.  

I too live in Florida so if you have any questions please P.M me and I will gladly help you out! 

Bryan

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Irish Alan and Kapkirk, Here is the link to the singing faces.  This is un-assembled and for the face only.  You still have to buy the lights, controllers, etc.  And you need to build the frame around it.  I bought one and then am going to trace onto Coroboard I am buying at Home Depot.  Much cheaper but not sure if it will be worth the savings for all the work.  Gonna try one and see how it goes.  This is also for the led lights, not the nodes.  They have a different version available for the nodes, as well as an entire kit with everything to build one face (about $360).  

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Singing-Christmas-Trees-p/100.htm

Bryan, thanks for the advice.  I am very musically inclined (was in band and choir for years in high school) so hopefully that will be a plus! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MeemeeMowMow said:

Irish Alan and Kapkirk, Here is the link to the singing faces.  This is un-assembled and for the face only.  You still have to buy the lights, controllers, etc.  And you need to build the frame around it.  I bought one and then am going to trace onto Coroboard I am buying at Home Depot.  Much cheaper but not sure if it will be worth the savings for all the work.  Gonna try one and see how it goes.  This is also for the led lights, not the nodes.  They have a different version available for the nodes, as well as an entire kit with everything to build one face (about $360).  

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Singing-Christmas-Trees-p/100.htm

Bryan, thanks for the advice.  I am very musically inclined (was in band and choir for years in high school) so hopefully that will be a plus! 

In other words you are stealing someone else's work. Nice to openly admit it. Saves me the time I offered to assist you and share sequences with you.

Please do not ask for any of my shared stuff.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dibblejr, honestly I don't see it that way.  But Potato, po-taw-to.  The way I see it, I am paying for the face I am buying.  If it comes with a copyright that tells me I cannot use it to pattern other faces, I will respect that.  I would never infringe on any copyrighted or proprietary rights.  Nowhere on the page did it mention anything about it.  If the paperwork accompanying the face says anything to that effect, I will respect it.  As I stated before, it may be more work than it is worth and I may end up buying another face anyways.   

That I openly admitted what I was doing only supports that I didn't feel I was doing anything wrong.

I will also respect your request to not ask for any of your shared stuff.  You have been so generous with your advice and generous with your offers to help.  My apologies if my different way of seeing things has offended you.

Happy Holidays! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MeemeeMowMow said:

Bryan, thanks for the advice.  I am very musically inclined (was in band and choir for years in high school) so hopefully that will be a plus! 

That is perfect! Have fun!!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's rich... All the ideas that HC has apparently pirated/copied over the years without paying a penny in licensing or royalties (as far as anyone knows), and all the underhanded advertising they do using (and profiting from the use of) their competitors names...

And here we have someone getting all high and mighty and offended when they (HC) become a victim of their own perfidy.  Ain't third-party hypocrisy a wonderful thing?

Edited by George Simmons
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You found my work in another thread.   Personally I use wireframes and led ropelight for my faces. 

Any questions about sequencing don't hesitate to PM me.

 

Sax

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Progress update so far!  

Received my first coro tree face in the mail.  After looking at the 800 holes on it, I decided it WAS WAY more work than it was worth to recreate it myself so I ordered a second one! 

Got the lights for the two trees in the mail today! Need to go by Home Depot and pick up the wood to build the frames for the faces so I can start punching the lights into the Coro.  From what I understand it is much easier if the Coro is framed first.

Purchased a controller and the starter set package (software etc) and a ready made sequence off a website.  Downloaded the software, the sequence and the music for the sequence and have been tweeking a revised version of the sequence to change a few things since it was made for four faces and this year, I will only have two.  The software is complex but having a starting point with the sequence I purchased really helped me figure out the basics!  I don't think I could take on doing a whole song this year by myself but could definitely be a possibility for next year time permitting.  Buying the sequences and tweeking seems like it may be the way to go for me for now.

I am feeling more confident that having singing faces for Christmas may be a real possibilty!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MeemeeMowMow

 

You don't need to change the sequence if only using two faces, only the one controller needed for the 16 channels, and the rest of the sequence won't be affected. If you want to practice modifying or sequencing then go for it, but I would recommend you back up the sequence or make a copy to play with in case you save a mistake and then have something that you would have a hard time fixing.

 

Keith

Edited by Kapkirk
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×