Light-O-Rama Forums

Candy canes? Anything different?

LORi P

For several nights each of the past few years I've handed out candy canes.  Maybe it is just me,  but I am getting bored with candy canes.  Do any of you give the kids something else instead of candy canes? I've thought about Christmas stickers or glow bracelets. What do you think? Do you have other ideas?

55 minutes ago, Brian Mitchell said:

We used to order trinkets from Oriental trading Company to give away to the kids. 

+1 This is safer than anything else because of food allergies. However flavored candy canse are another bet. I use Oriental Trading a lot.

JR

On 10/30/2017 at 9:08 PM, LORi P said:

For several nights each of the past few years I've handed out candy canes.  Maybe it is just me,  but I am getting bored with candy canes.  Do any of you give the kids something else instead of candy canes? I've thought about Christmas stickers or glow bracelets. What do you think? Do you have other ideas?

How do you keep people from driving away as you approach their car?  I bought 200 candy canes last year to give away on Christmas Eve, and yet EVERYTIME I began walking up to a car with my bowl in hand, they'd drive away.  I was left with 198 candy canes at the end of the night... (I ate the other 2).

Edited by Jaynee

1 minute ago, Jaynee said:

How do you keep people from driving away as you approach their car?  I bought 200 candy canes last year to give away on Christmas Eve, and yet EVERYTIME I began walking up to a car with my bowl in hand, they'd drive away.  I was left with 198 candy canes at the end of the night... (I ate the other 2).

We have it happen here but not to that degree, it's my opinion that they think we are looking a donation.  This year we will most likely put a sign on the basket that says free candy canes.  Some people are just stupid and you can't fix stupid though duct tape will muffle it.

• Like 1

Jayne, I had a couple of teenage girls help me one year and the cars left for them, too. It helped too put a big FREE sign on the box.

I rarely have the problem if I wear a Santa hat,  go out the back door and walk up the sidewalk instead of coming out the front door. Oh yea, I avoid eye contact with the cars until I am almost to their window.  :lol:

I also don't  collect donations for a charity. I think that helps people to not assume I am approaching them for a donation. 

On 10/31/2017 at 7:31 AM, caniac said:

Kids might choke on Oriental Trading Company bobbles.  Just sayin'!  Test on Dibble first :)

I don't hand those out either because they don't taste nearly as good as candy canes. :D

2 hours ago, MikeERWNC said:

I don't hand those out either because they don't taste nearly as good as candy canes. :D

That's where testing on Dibble comes in, also works on nasty candy canes.  If he makes a face then don't give those candy canes out. 

On 11/1/2017 at 5:30 PM, LORi P said:

.....I rarely have the problem if I wear a Santa hat, .....

Yeah - Santa hats fix almost every situation. 

• The topic was locked