Light-O-Rama Forums

A video of my display (LightORama Dan)

LightORamaDan

I was talking to someone tonight about how I was not going to be able to make it to the NJ mini this year. Mary and I really enjoy going and we were both pretty upset but unfortunately there is a scheduling conflict and we invest a lot so we cannot cancel the other commitment.

But that got me thinking about my display. I did not get the display up last year because work kept me too busy and away from home most of the time. Was digging around trying to find a video of my display just to watch it and came across this video. A large portion of the display was not included (there are three sides of the house decorated and they only show two sides) but it gives you an idea.

Dan's Video

Dan Baldwin
Light O Rama, Inc.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• Ponddude

• Tim Dorr

• rwertz

The gingerbread house with candy cane shutters was a great idea. I really liked the whirly gig. My friends parents used to put one up on their dining room table every Christmas.

I think I see potential for a spin off company "Chime-O-Rama". Actually, it's a little sad when a hobby becomes a career and the career puts a damper on the hobby.

Dan your awesome!!

Your house looks incredible and I can see where all the LOR stuff came from. If you incorporate even half the ideas you use at your house, in your company...we are in for some huge treats in the future!!

Man I love LOR!!

Greg

Guest wbottomley

Just great.

Thank you Dan! Now the wife wants a Chim-o-matic.

Anyway, fantastic display.

I do remember when you use to sell the chim-o-matic. Been a while. :(

Dan,

What a great video! Your display has such neat and clean lines. It is stunning. You interview extremely well.

Michael Beason

Dan, that was an awesome segment. What a great display, it give us a bit of vision into your thought process for LOR. Thanks for sharing that.

Mark

Not sure what electronics Dan used for the original Chime-O-Matic, but I expect it is easy to do today..

If the solenoids that hit the chimes are DC, one of the DC cards will handle that. If the sequences are small enough, the DC card can store its own sequence, and that for a CTB-16PC to do the adjacent trees. The DC card already can take a trigger for the push button... If you need more sequence actions than the DC card can store, add a mini director.

The challenge is finding the chimes, ideally already configured with their own solenoids, or developing your own to properly strike the chimes..

- Kevin

rick gorman wrote:

To think I used to have a set of chimes from an old pipe organ. Guess it might be time to go looking for another set

My original Chime-O-Matic used a set of cathedral chimes from an old organ. I got the chimes on Ebay. They needed a bit of work to get them working.

It is an interesting story on how they were delivered. The guy that sold them to me ( I was in NJ and he was in NC or SC ) said he would drive them up for $100. He and his his wife/friend wanted to take a trip to NYC and this would pay the gas.

So when they dropped them off I said that I was going to use them as part of a Christmas Display. Turns out that they had a huge Christmas Display themselves... Mentioned computer control and asked (these strangers) if they would like to come in and see the control system. The strangers said sure and I let the strangers into the house. After they were in, I mentioned to the strangers that we had a couple of cats in case they were allergic.

The strangers said don't worry we have lots of pets: Cats, dogs, peacocks on and on... Then the lady said, actually we have all the pets we have ever had... Once they pass, we keep them frozen in chest freezers.....

There is a little more to the story but I will end it there for now.

LightORamaDan wrote:

The strangers said don't worry we have lots of pets: Cats, dogs, peacocks on and on... Then the lady said, actually we have all the pets we have ever had... Once they pass, we keep them frozen in chest freezers.....

There is a little more to the story but I will end it there for now.

OK, Dan, first you keep us in suspense over the LOR sale and now over the story! I have already doubled up my blood presure medicene, eaten a bottle of Rolaids (and threw in some Tums for good measure). What's a stressed out, LOR addict to do?!