Light-O-Rama Forums
big joe

Bad Cat-5/Cat-6 cable

Just a note: as i try to get everything set up, had a two hour setback. I could not for the life of me get my "new" computer to "see" my Alpha pix 16. after re- watching several videos, and

checking everything i could think of . , turns out 100' cat-5 cable went bad... i got a whole box now of bad one's if anybody would like them for Christmas. heh-heh

I have a cat5 cable tester I use for verifying my cables. Also, don't buy any smaller than 24g. Just a suggestion.

1 hour ago, big joe said:

turns out 100' cat-5 cable went bad... i got a whole box now of bad one's if anybody would like them for Christmas. heh-heh

Are you buying pre-made cables or building them yourself?  In 20+ years of using Cat-5 cables, I don't think I have had more than a couple that went bad (not counting a few that were obviously physically damaged - connector ripped off the end, cable cut, etc).

8 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Are you buying pre-made cables or building them yourself?  In 20+ years of using Cat-5 cables, I don't think I have had more than a couple that went bad (not counting a few that were obviously physically damaged - connector ripped off the end, cable cut, etc).

Ditto. Cut, crushed, Nasty kinks (kills high speed), broken tangs.

I have a Klien VDV scout  (can't afford that Fluke :P )

I have gotten ones NEW that were wired wrong  (not same at both ends). A real bummer, since it took me 20 minutes to string that 100' over desks and benches. Test cables before torturous runs.

K6ccc- yes I buy them premade from Menards, this one was only 1 year old. Santa helper- how do you test them, or with what do you test them with?

I buy the cheapest cat 5 cables I can find online.  If I pay more that a couple bucks, I get upset.  I have only had one fail, and that is because it met the sharp end of my shovel.

I make my own cables and use a tester nearly identical to the one Jim posted above.   

If you can sequence songs, you can make your own cables - just takes a little practice - and you'll always get the right length and can replace failed/damaged ones on the spot!