Light-O-Rama Forums
sticks4legs

Preview and sequence questions

Spent some more time working with 5.0.10 and have a couple questions

- I tried to create a preview from scratch, i am unable to rotate props?  Not sure if this is something that has already been bug reported, I haven't had a chance to go through them all

- When importing a vizualizer file when opening an old S4 sequence, all individual items import as a prop (arch 1 , arch 2, etc)  allowing individual pixel control which I like.  It does prevent applying motion effects.  Is the best way to create a motion effects line to create a new prop and use the "Uses the same channels as" option

Edited by sticks4legs

1 hour ago, sticks4legs said:

I tried to create a preview from scratch, i am unable to rotate props?  Not sure if this is something that has already been bug reported, I haven't had a chance to go through them all

After selecting a prop, there is a red rotation handle that you can grab with your cursor to rotate it. See the screen shot below.

1 hour ago, sticks4legs said:

When importing a vizualizer file when opening an old S4 sequence, all individual items import as a prop (arch 1 , arch 2, etc)  allowing individual pixel control which I like.  It does prevent applying motion effects. 

Visualizer fixtures get converted to S5 props. Visualizer props get converted to S5 groups. Motion effects can be applied to props and to groups. In your sequence grid, you may need to right-click on the prop or group name and select "Add motion effect row" from the pop-up menu.

Matt

Preview Design-rotate handle.png

Thanks for the quick response, I figured it would have been the same as before, however i'm not able to do it, just a simple 31 pixel arch. The line is there, however  rotation not available and cursor doesn't change

image.png.e51292a02b20c55d19ff92bc25a22c8f.png

As for the insert effects row, its not an option for me.  See screen shot.  The only way I can get an effects line to generate is use "Insert Preview Props and Groups" and duplicate the prop, see following screen shots

image.png.1d53249f7192761865cd61512c3e3baf.png

image.png.ac130dab2ecb69566383a557e871c95b.png

image.png.02bbb5a4ba5ff326cf0a1abac55d0cec.png

Edited by sticks4legs

1) As for rotation, can you please select Help > About from the menu, then copy/paste the results here. I'll be looking for the graphics information.

2) Why insert "Arch 1" again? Can't you just click the "+" sign next to the original "Arch 1". Or even more efficient, right click on "Arch 1" and select Expand.

Matt

Thanks for all of the screen shots! Those really help.

Matt

1 hour ago, MattBrown said:

1) As for rotation, can you please select Help > About from the menu, then copy/paste the results here. I'll be looking for the graphics information.

2) Why insert "Arch 1" again? Can't you just click the "+" sign next to the original "Arch 1". Or even more efficient, right click on "Arch 1" and select Expand.

Matt

1) here is the about info

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz
Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
OpenGL version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.1872

2) Inserting Arch 1 again is the work around to generate the motion effects line. You are correct, I can expand the prop and it will display each individual pixel.  The "Add Effects Row" is available if I right click on an individual pixel.  Selecting it however does not produce anything. My goal was to have a prop that I can sequence by hand or place an effect.  When inserting the prop again I can accomplish that for now. 

If I could ask a question. Is there a way to take the effects row to a different part of the preview tree outside the prop.  My thinking was to create a preview that looked like my S4 channel config with effects rows at the bottom to place effects in when required.  Similar to the S4 display after intensity files were imported.  As a beta I'm not to concerned with wish lists.

Thanks again for the assistance. If there is anything else I can provide please let me know.

image.png.5cf01e7abdbf349f8a0681412221519b.png

Edited by sticks4legs

1) I suggest running the Intel driver utility to find an updated display driver:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

2) I can't reproduce what you describe. Could you please send me a copy your sequence?

Matt

I will do both, thanks again for the help.

Also an update, I was able to get the preview prop layout I was looking for using a Wholehouse Group and some sub groups.  Not sure why I didn't think of it before

2) Thanks for sending your sequence. It is somewhat confusing in that there is a grid view group (as if you had done a convert-to-group command) called "Arch 1" and a prop called "Arch 1". The initial grid view shows the grid view group "Arch 1". Then after inserting a prop, you had the "Arch 1" prop and "Arch 1" grid view group next to one another (same name, but not the same thing). The prop will show the motion effect rows and the grid view group will not. 

As a result, I have made a change to S5 such that when you right-click a channel in a grid view group, you will no longer see the "Add motion effect row" option. That should make things a little less confusing.

Thanks for posting your questions!

Matt

• Thanks 1

2) Thanks for sending your sequence. It is somewhat confusing in that there is a grid view group (as if you had done a convert-to-group command) called "Arch 1" and a prop called "Arch 1". The initial grid view shows the grid view group "Arch 1". Then after inserting a prop, you had the "Arch 1" prop and "Arch 1" grid view group next to one another (same name, but not the same thing). The prop will show the motion effect rows and the grid view group will not. 

As a result, I have made a change to S5 such that when you right-click a channel in a grid view group, you will no longer see the "Add motion effect row" option. That should make things a little less confusing.

Thanks for posting your questions!

Matt

Thanks again for all your assistance.  Can I also say your attention to issues on the S5 beta is very much appreciated.

As for the driver update, the Intel link came back with no update.  I will continue to poke around.

Edited by sticks4legs

Matt Brown, I hope you are still online, I am having the same problem that Sticks4legs was having, as in the only way I can get the motion effects line is to "Insert Preview Props an Groups". even if i go down to pixel level I still don't see the "Add Motion Effects Row". I am not sure what I am doing wrong. this is a file I imported from S4 if that information helps at all.

30 minutes ago, kzaas said:

Matt Brown, I hope you are still online, I am having the same problem that Sticks4legs was having, as in the only way I can get the motion effects line is to "Insert Preview Props an Groups". even if i go down to pixel level I still don't see the "Add Motion Effects Row". I am not sure what I am doing wrong. this is a file I imported from S4 if that information helps at all.

I will assume you are running the latest beta version (5.0.14) and have an Advanced or Pro license...

1) To make it easier to see what is going on, try turning "Condensed View" off (uncheck -  see attached picture), and then "Expand All".

2) Are there any props listed? If not, select "Append Items to View" and choose the prop you want to sequence with motion effects. It should then appear at the bottom of the grid view.

3) Now right click on the prop name -- you should have an option for "Add motion effect rows".

Now you probably will want to re-enable "condensed view".

Matt

S5-condensed view off.png