Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie controllers & extension distance

robigd

Hi all!

Is there an improved maximum string distance from the controller with the pixie controllers?

I would assume if you are only controlling 50 pixels with a 100 pixel capability per unit ID, that would allow you to have a farther distance from the controller than if you were controlling the maximum number of pixels. Is this the case or is my logic completely off base?

If anyone has facts of "formulas" on this matter, I would greatly appreciate if you could share.

Thanks in advance!

It's not so much the electricity that limits the distance as it is the data. The elctricity can flow 50, 60 or even 70 feet without problems if you are using 12v and decent wire. The problem is the data signal which doesn't like the distance and why you will need to use null pixels if the distance becomes too great.

2 minutes ago, robigd said:

Hi all!

Is there an improved maximum string distance from the controller with the pixie controllers?

I would assume if you are only controlling 50 pixels with a 100 pixel capability per unit ID, that would allow you to have a farther distance from the controller than if you were controlling the maximum number of pixels. Is this the case or is my logic completely off base?

If anyone has facts of "formulas" on this matter, I would greatly appreciate if you could share.

Thanks in advance!

Still as close to prop as possible. All of my pixie controllrers (5) are mounted to the prop. You could test and post results.

JR

Thanks for the quick responses. I am in the process of trying to plan CCB's on the eves of my roof and trying to minimize the number of controllers where possible. I hadn't really thought about null pixels, but that may be a much more economical way to accomplish what I want since the lights are cheaper than the controllers.

Thanks again.

It depends a lot of the technology of the pixels.  Some pixel chip types are very short range, and some work fine over much greater distances.  In your last post you said you will be using CCBs.  Being very specific here, if they are LOR Cosmic Color Bulbs (not some other clone), as I understand it, that pixel chip technology is very short range.  I've never tested it myself, but have heard that they are only good for 10 to 12 feet from the controller to the first pixel.  The length can be extended with Null pixels.  At the other end of the spectrum are GE Color Effects lights that use a fairly slow speed data and I have heard reports that they are good to 60 - 75 feet.  I do have some runs of about 30 feet with no problems with GECE bulbs.

Best answer is to test it prior to putting the lights up.  Much easier to add null pixels on your workbench than standing on a ladder 20 feet up!

• The topic was locked