Light-O-Rama Forums

Being original.

75redman

1 minute ago, caniac said:

Be careful with your bacon research, once derailed a thread to the tune of 35 pages when I changed to topic to bacon (it helped ease the tensions on here at the time).

You have plenty of posts referencing bacon but then I saw one of your posts about using bacon fat for lubrication....too funny!  Always wandered what to do with it as I usually just throw it out.....no more.

10 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

You have plenty of posts referencing bacon but then I saw one of your posts about using bacon fat for lubrication....too funny!  Always wandered what to do with it as I usually just throw it out.....no more.

oh yes, good times!! we had gone on and on about traditional uses of bacon, non-traditional uses of bacon, bacon beverages, nicknames for bacon (meat candy et al).

Hey everyone, I write my own sequences and only use my own sequences.  Frankly I don't understand how I would be able to use someone else's sequence and have it work for my display.  Doesn't it mean that my arches would have to be the same 'resolution' (i.e. same number of channels per arch), that my lighting strategy, in my case white, red and green strands twisted together, and the way everything is arranged spatially on and around my house would have to be the same?

I admit, I do see the allure.  In my case I have 32 channels and, if inspired, can put together a decent looking sequence in an evening.  But how about those of us / you that have hundreds of channels?  I can't imagine how long it takes to create a sequence that takes advantage of all of those.  So if I had such a display I would absolutely be interested in finding shortcuts or even sequences that would work, though again, how on earth would one person's display work for another person without hours and hours of remapping?  Is there a standardized channel address template I'm not aware of?  ;~))

Carsten Ramcke

Allen Park, MI 

This year is my 12th year and I have yet to do my first original sequence. I have tried many times and a blank sequence just freaks me out, I don't have a clue. If i picture a song, all there is is darkness it seems. I can tell you this, my visitors could care less whether its original or not, if it was original work they would care because they wouldn't come back it would be so awful.

I like the diversity of using different peoples sequences, there are a lot of different techniques out there, not so much lately though.

Mostly these days I take the purchased pixel tree sequence in to SS and adapt all the rest of my props to it. It is about original as I can get.

Edited by dougd
  • Like 1

After years of watching fancy Christmas lights on youtube, this year I decided to take a stab at this and invested in a single 16 channel LOR controller to get a show up for our new house and the neighbourhood (anything to distract them from discussing who's cat or dog is pooping on whose lawn). Well as documented in my previous posts on the newbies forum I had nothing but trouble getting the show up and running, and I spent a fortune on lights which either didn't work, or wouldn't behave correctly. It got to a point where I was about to give up for this year and have a static display. 

But, one set of LEDs from Amazon, came, and by jove they worked, they flickered, they faded, they shimmered, and all of a sudden the mad dash to get Christmas right was on. Now I had hidden all of this equipment in my office in the back yard, as I didn't need my wife knowing what I had spent on lights, let alone importing the controller. But one day she walked in on me sequencing The Pogues Fairy Tale, and when I showed her the sequence she cried (having recently lost her dad she is having a tough Christmas) and was blown away. So I sat with her and discussed my plans to make Christmas "Go Off" (as the youth might say), and permission was given for me to get another controller to make some leaping arches, and sequence in our rope light star.

I sat until 2 in the morning  wrapping arches, then I spent 2 weekends putting up lights. Our show is just done with basic lights as finances and time didn't allow for me to go all out, but here I am with 32 channels, a wife, 5 kids, a full time job which has me travelling all over Europe during the week, and studying for my MBA, and I still sequenced my own lights.

Is it perfect? no. 

Is it a little amateurish? probably. 

do I care? Hell no!

It's all my own work, and I'm proud of what I've done. This is my first year and I only got my head into the LOR software in November, but it really isn't rocket surgery, and with a little help from Youtube (thank you John Storms, and LOR) you can create some pretty decent effects, which will have the neighbour kids dancing around and the adults actually getting out and meeting each other, rather than b*tching on the community facebook page.

This place is an amazing resource, the help you get here is second to none, I get we don't all have the time, but it's not impossible, and it really is worth putting a little piece of yourself into your show.

Much love

• Like 2

All of my current sequences are either shared from here or purchased.  If my life depended on setting my own timing up I would be dead.  (The beat wizard is no help to me)   I....just...can't....do....it.  So, with that said, all of the sequences that have been sent to me or I have purchased have been severely modified for my display or 'gutted' as I just really need the timing.  Some day I hope I can nail the timing and know what it feels like to create my own 100% all me sequence.  I've always felt a little small about using other peoples work and now reading this thread makes me feel like a complete worthless "parasite" because I'm using other peoples work, truth be told.  My shortcomings with creating my own sequences have kept me from using CCR's as well.

7 minutes ago, Bob Hall said:

All of my current sequences are either shared from here or purchased.  If my life depended on setting my own timing up I would be dead.  (The beat wizard is no help to me)   I....just...can't....do....it.  So, with that said, all of the sequences that have been sent to me or I have purchased have been severely modified for my display or 'gutted' as I just really need the timing.  Some day I hope I can nail the timing and know what it feels like to create my own 100% all me sequence.  I've always felt a little small about using other peoples work and now reading this thread makes me feel like a complete worthless "parasite" because I'm using other peoples work, truth be told.  My shortcomings with creating my own sequences have kept me from using CCR's as well.

My wife who is our primary sequencer will empathize.  While she has done a couple of sequences from scratch (Her Muppets 12 days of Christmas I think is awesome) but she much prefers taking an existing sequence, using the timing and pretty reworking it completely.  She might try doing a sequence from scratch again if the S5 timing generators are better.   Here are some of videos from last year.

arnold

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of these comments....judge much?   I lopped off a finger at the job I spend 7 nights a week at.   thus,  I need to use some shared files to get things going this year.  Hard to sequence with just your left hand  (right is totally casted and useless).  I have seen this in other hobbies.  One group hates that their beloved hobby is being ruined/invaded by noobs that "just dont get it".  Not everyone does this for the same reasons you do.  Why that upsets some is beyond me. Took me 15 mins just to type  this.  Can you imagine what it  would take to sequence.  If you do not wish to share....don't.  However,  your judgement.  and use of names like  "parasite" say more about a person than asking if anyone is sharing does.

Edited by Dcroc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DCroc- I know your pain. Due to injuries in the Army I do not have feeling in either hands. Last years surgeries went bad at best. I have to look at the keyboard with each tap.

With that being said there are many in here that state they use their own but I have shared my singing face sequences with. 

I guess when they were new to this hobby they just figured it all out without help.

There is No shame in using someone else’s sequence. Lord knows I cannot create singing face sequences and normal outline sequences and matrix sequences at the same time.

Hope you recover well. 

JR

On 12/1/2017 at 1:12 PM, Carsten said:

Hey everyone, I write my own sequences and only use my own sequences.  Frankly I don't understand how I would be able to use someone else's sequence and have it work for my display.  Doesn't it mean that my arches would have to be the same 'resolution' (i.e. same number of channels per arch), that my lighting strategy, in my case white, red and green strands twisted together, and the way everything is arranged spatially on and around my house would have to be the same?

I admit, I do see the allure.  In my case I have 32 channels and, if inspired, can put together a decent looking sequence in an evening.  But how about those of us / you that have hundreds of channels?  I can't imagine how long it takes to create a sequence that takes advantage of all of those.  So if I had such a display I would absolutely be interested in finding shortcuts or even sequences that would work, though again, how on earth would one person's display work for another person without hours and hours of remapping?  Is there a standardized channel address template I'm not aware of?  ;~))

Carsten Ramcke

Allen Park, MI 

Carsten,

When using/borrowing someone else's sequence, it's not for the purpose of using the props/channel config in that sequence, it's about using timing and effects during the sequence people tend to look for.

So basically how I would do it is, taking a previously created sequence and copy and paste from each channel or portion of a channel and pasting to your new sequence. So it could still be hours remapping but it sure saves the large amount of time of putting in the timing and provides examples of effects used by someone else. I'm very picky on my timing so sometimes it may not be worth me using someone else's sequences if I have to go in a add or change the timing.

I have created majority of my sequences in the past 12 years and have only a few I have borrowed mostly because I didn't have time to create them myself but wanted them in my show for that season. With hundreds of channels (not pixels), it takes a good amount of time to sequence each song.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Santas Helper

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

DCroc- I know your pain. Due to injuries in the Army I do not have feeling in either hands. Last years surgeries went bad at best. I have to look at the keyboard with each tap.

With that being said there are many in here that state they use their own but I have shared my singing face sequences with. 

I guess when they were new to this hobby they just figured it all out without help.

There is No shame in using someone else’s sequence. Lord knows I cannot create singing face sequences and normal outline sequences and matrix sequences at the same time.

Hope you recover well. 

JR

First, and above all...thank you for serving, and your sacrifice.  Sorry to hear about the cost to you for it.   

as far as typing...I took 2 years of it in high school in '81.   Took it as a Micky Mouse course and just needed the credits.  I was building and playing with computers at the time (long before Windows) and figured it may be handy to really know the keyboard.  Who could know how useful it would become?  Before a couple weeks ago, I typed 120 wpm.   Now I am down to about 4.  I am a count my blessings kinda guy,  and am thankful it wasn"t worse.  Damage is still unknown. but I kept the finger, so I don't want to complain much.  However, I am very concerned about losing my typing ability.  the fact that you have those injuries, and still not just sequence,  but share and do it for others is inspiring.  When I get my hand back, I am going to find a way to contribute in helping others.  Thank you.

...and thank you to all that share on this site. Be it your art, or your knowledge.   Some of the kindest people in the World are right here on this site.  I truly believe that.

9 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

First, and above all...thank you for serving, and your sacrifice.  Sorry to hear about the cost to you for it.   

as far as typing...I took 2 years of it in high school in '81.   Took it as a Micky Mouse course and just needed the credits.  I was building and playing with computers at the time (long before Windows) and figured it may be handy to really know the keyboard.  Who could know how useful it would become?  Before a couple weeks ago, I typed 120 wpm.   Now I am down to about 4.  I am a count my blessings kinda guy,  and am thankful it wasn"t worse.  Damage is still unknown. but I kept the finger, so I don't want to complain much.  However, I am very concerned about losing my typing ability.  the fact that you have those injuries, and still not just sequence,  but share and do it for others is inspiring.  When I get my hand back, I am going to find a way to contribute in helping others.  Thank you.

...and thank you to all that share on this site. Be it your art, or your knowledge.   Some of the kindest people in the World are right here on this site.  I truly believe that.

We take all of the little things in life for granted. Things like picking up a coin that a cashier lays on a counter or I accidentally drop is a chore. If I drop a coin on the floor and there is no one there to help me I just leave it. Its embarrassing. The children that ask me about the braces I wear on my arms my reply "my super hero power bands". Parents love that response. Have to get creative and have a sense of humor, it works.

You will either fully recover, get used to it or adapt. I have the last two. Had surgery before last Halloween and even with my arm wrapped (my dominate one) I still with medication assistance was able to slowly sequence and share them. Just knowing that I am able to help someone who for whatever reason needs singing face sequences is all that keeps me going. 

Here is another key aspect of sharing sequences. My case.

In my show I was limited to songs/ sequences of songs that I knew and liked. Through accepting requests it opened my world to great songs that I either never heard, would have never thought of or would have never turned my radio to. Those of you who I have produced a requested sequence and or shared with I have often told "I never heard the song and would have never even thought of using it for a show" until I sequenced it.

As always I will share 95% of what I produce with anyone who is not profiting from it.

JR

• Like 1

Sequence creativity dumps can affect all of us. What you may try is using the instant sequencer in SuperStar to fill in a portion of a song whose effects presently eludes you. An example is with Little Drummer Boy, roughly about a minute in.

Edited by BryanZ
Added video.

I think the real argument here is whether someone is asking for a shared sequence because they legitimately need help, for whatever reason, or if they are just being lazy and unwilling to make an attempt. In my mind, sequencing is a major aspect of what this hobby is all about. It's similar to someone who has a hot rod car, but doesn't even change there own oil simply because "they don't want to".....and believe me, these people are out there. 

This will be my third year and to this point I've spent most of my time building props and figuring out how to setup, teardown and store things efficiently. As a matter of fact, I've been using the same one song each year and people still love it! However, it's well past time for something new and it will happen this year.

I've been using the same computer for sequencing and running the show which severly cuts into available programming time. I finally have two PC's and I am looking forward to spending some time working on new sequences. 

Pumpkin_King nailed it in his post. It's about working hard and doing what it takes, and most importantly, being proud of what you have created.

If everyone stopped sequencing all together and everybody just shared what was already out there, sooner or later we would all have exactly the same sequences. BOOORRRING!

13 hours ago, Say watt?? said:

I think the real argument here is whether someone is asking for a shared sequence because they legitimately need help, for whatever reason, or if they are just being lazy and unwilling to make an attempt.

I do think the same. I started 3 years ago and I did not have the time to sequence. I quickly found that it was difficult for me to make shared sequences look good. I decided to spend 1 to 1 1/2  hours every morning before everyone else in the house gets up to learn and program my own sequences. I find that it makes things easier with a plan and stick to it. I don't post videos much anymore on these forums because every time I do I get private messages from people asking for my sequence. It gets old. I don't mind helping people out, but they have to make an effort on their part too. I have seen one individual on here that has asked for the same sequence for the last 4 months. He was sent it by someone but he apparently does not like what he got because he is always asking for it but not from the individual that sent him the first one. This person has had enough time to learn and sequence it himself. I think that those who share a lot on here are doing a great job. To new people to this hobby,  It does required some effort on your part to make things happen.

Tom

Edited by TBS99
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Say watt?? said:

I think the real argument here is whether someone is asking for a shared sequence because they legitimately need help, for whatever reason, or if they are just being lazy and unwilling to make an attempt.

That's being a bit harsh don't you think?  I have done my share of borrowing but have also shared far more than I have borrowed.  When I borrow a sequence it is because there are parts of it I want to see how were done.  There have been times I have taken an effect I really liked (how someone handled a mega tree or their mini trees) then made it the core of mine and worked my props around that.  That is neither lazy or unwilling to make an attempt but more giving props to the original sequencer.  You need to be careful when you classify someone as lazy, every case is different so you need to do the research.

20 minutes ago, TBS99 said:

I do think the same. I started 3 years ago and I did not have the time to sequence. I quickly found that it was difficult for me to make shared sequences look good. I decided to spend 1 to 1 1/2  hours every morning before everyone else in the house gets up to learn and program my own sequences. I find that it makes things easier with a plan and stick to it. I don't post videos much anymore on these forums because every time I do I get private messages from people asking for my sequence. It gets old. I don't mind helping people out, but they have to make an effort on their part too. I have seen one individual on here that has asked for the same sequence for the last 4 months. He was sent it by someone but he apparently does not like what he got because he is always asking for it but not from the individual that sent him the first one. This person has had enough time to learn and sequence it himself. I think that those who share a lot on here are doing a great job. To new people to this hobby,  It does required some effort on your part to make things happen.

Tom

Before posting negative comments about people try knowing the situation first.

Sure the wording is unusual that the poster uses, however he does not have bad intentions or dislike the sequence or the producer.

The person asking for the specific sequence you are referencing already has it from that person. (My great friend and fellow sharer of all he produces).

There is more than 1 version of the song, more than 1 version of the prop sequences.

Its really nobodies business why someone wants a sequence of any form or from any one person.

If it was a problem sharing sequences then maybe you should ask the forum admins to remove the “sequence sharing” section. 

Its simple people.

If you don’t like it then you don’t have to share or ask for a shared sequence. If you see a shared sequence you would like perhaps you just go spend the $ on a sequence from one of the “pros”.

LOR doesn’t seem to have a problem with sharing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Before posting negative comments about people try knowing the situation first.

I have tried to help this individual on several other forums.  I admire what you and James do on this forum to help people. I asked James 2 years ago I think for a copy of a sequence because I was learning and got stuck. . I greatly appreciated it. " I have no problem with the sequence sharing forum" . The problem I have is being sent several private messages when I post a video that people want my sequence. If I want to share it I will post it or I will send it to somebody on one of the forums that is looking.

27 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

If it was a problem sharing sequences then maybe you should ask the forum admins to remove the “sequence sharing” section.

Again I have no problem with the sequence sharing section.  I post links to that section on other forums when people ask for certain sequences and don't get a response. Keep up the good work Dibblejr and James  Morris , there is lots of people who do appreciate it.

Tom

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TBS99 said:

I have tried to help this individual on several other forums.  I admire what you and James do on this forum to help people. I asked James 2 years ago I think for a copy of a sequence because I was learning and got stuck. . I greatly appreciated it. " I have no problem with the sequence sharing forum" . The problem I have is being sent several private messages when I post a video that people want my sequence. If I want to share it I will post it or I will send it to somebody on one of the forums that is looking.

Again I have no problem with the sequence sharing section.  I post links to that section on other forums when people ask for certain sequences and don't get a response. Keep up the good work Dibblejr and James  Morris , there is lots of people who do appreciate it.

Tom

Tom- Thanks for the compliment. Trust me I understand your pov. As far as outline sequences other than James there may be less than 5 members I have asked for a sequence and I know each of them from memory. James sequences compliments my props and my singing faces. I also have either met in person, skype or over the phone each of them, well except for 75Redman who recently shared a work of art with me. I still haven't worked it into my show yet, I think it was a patriotic sequence so it will get there.

IMO this is just a fun hobby, that's why I do what I do. If I wanted to get paid, and I have had offers, that would take the fun away. I like helping people either singing faces or setting up their pixies etc. and when my local publisher asked me why I do what I do for the holidays my comment was and will always be the same "because I can and there are others who simply cant for various reasons" and I left it at that.

Its the same way in the forums. 

Happy Lighting and Merry Christmas everyone.

JR

• Like 5