Light-O-Rama Forums

Being original.

75redman

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”

I guess that doesnt apply to sequencing and Christmas lights :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, caniac said:

That's being a bit harsh don't you think?  I have done my share of borrowing but have also shared far more than I have borrowed.  When I borrow a sequence it is because there are parts of it I want to see how were done.  There have been times I have taken an effect I really liked (how someone handled a mega tree or their mini trees) then made it the core of mine and worked my props around that.  That is neither lazy or unwilling to make an attempt but more giving props to the original sequencer.  You need to be careful when you classify someone as lazy, every case is different so you need to do the research.

You should reread the paragraph that you quoted me on. Your response reiterated my point about someone LEGITIMATELY needing help. I'm referring to someone who puts more effort into trying to get stuff handed to them than they do at working on it for themselves. This goes way beyond Christmas lights.

You assume a lot about others.  When I  help  someone,   I don't  worry about  if they are doing the right thing.  I simply ask myself if I am.  Never would I consider myself in a position to assume someone else's situation.  I might appear "lazy" to some,  while I am working 10 hour days, 7 days a week, with 1 day off every 30.  This leaves me little free time, so I look for sequences to be able to make the display happen  this year.  Some may judge me as a "begger/parasite", because I have asked if someone had a sequence to share, instead of buying one for $49.  The truth is,  I injured my right hand, and can not use it at all, thus I am out of work, and $49 is a lot of money right now.  I can't worry about a few bad apples taking advantage of me.  Not going to taint me.  I help others because it is the right thing to do.  Can't worry about the other persons reasons.

Edited by Dcroc

I personally am not assuming or accusing. The original poster made a statement about being original and the large amount of sharing requests recently. I'm simply adding my two cents. 

I don't need to know anything more about the people asking for sequences. If someone needs help they will get it here, I know this. I also know that the handout mentality is running rampant these days. 

I will be the first person to help someone truly in need, but I also don't need to be the knight in shining armor coming to the rescue.

Give a man a sequence, bring him holiday joy for a season. Teach a man to sequence, bring him holiday joy for a lifetime. 

Merry Christmas to you too Dibbles and to all!

On 12/1/2017 at 2:22 PM, dougd said:

This year is my 12th year and I have yet to do my first original sequence. I have tried many times and a blank sequence just freaks me out, I don't have a clue. If i picture a song, all there is is darkness it seems. I can tell you this, my visitors could care less whether its original or not, if it was original work they would care because they wouldn't come back it would be so awful.

I like the diversity of using different peoples sequences, there are a lot of different techniques out there, not so much lately though.

Mostly these days I take the purchased pixel tree sequence in to SS and adapt all the rest of my props to it. It is about original as I can get.

I'm in my 10th year and I've written two sequences myself and hated it. LOL. I am totally with you on what you wrote!

I am so thankful Richard Holdman shared ALL of his sequences the first three or four years he did his lights at his old house. He was also cool enough to make tutorial videos on various parts of his display.

Between these two things, I felt confident enough to plan my display over the entire 2008 off-season. When the lights lit for the first time I was floored!

Without that sharing that went on, I doubt I would have jumped into this hobby. I am very, VERY thankful to everyone who has shared over the years. I am not artistic enough to sequence from a blank page. I have re-written almost entire sequences but to start from nothing? I just can't do it.

What's more is I try to capture other people's displays in ours. I love some of the displays I've seen over the years and it's awesome to capture a little touch of them. Whether it be with a lighting effect, or using an actual song... I totally know who I'm "copying" and it brings a smile to my face.

Nobody, I mean nobody that watches our display knows where I've borrowed things from. And I doubt they'd care either since we have almost no animated displays around us. People just like to watch dancing Christmas lights and that's what I like too so I do this crazy display.

All thanks to people sharing. So thank you sharers. You make it possible for us non-creative folks to appear creative. :D

Edited by JeffF
Spelling
  • Like 1

Yeah I still use some Holdman sequences in my display, I have a few "Fantasy Lights" sequences, Sill use some "Lights for Riley" , "Wilton Lights", "Tauton Tales", Jade and a few others. Each had a unique look to them. Christmas Lights by Coldplay that Jade shared with me back in 2010 is still one of my favorite sequences.

Like Jeff said,

All thanks to people sharing. So thank you sharers. You make it possible for us non-creative folks to appear creative.

BTW, you helped me collect $3,500 last year for a local charity that helps out family's in need, they thank you too.

Edited by dougd
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2017 at 11:52 AM, JeffF said:

I'm in my 10th year and I've written two sequences myself and hated it. LOL. I am totally with you on what you wrote!

I am so thankful Richard Holdman shared ALL of his sequences the first three or four years he did his lights at his old house. He was also cool enough to make tutorial videos on various parts of his display.

Between these two things, I felt confident enough to plan my display over the entire 2008 off-season. When the lights lit for the first time I was floored!

Without that sharing that went on, I doubt I would have jumped into this hobby. I am very, VERY thankful to everyone who has shared over the years. I am not artistic enough to sequence from a blank page. I have re-written almost entire sequences but to start from nothing? I just can't do it.

What's more is I try to capture other people's displays in ours. I love some of the displays I've seen over the years and it's awesome to capture a little touch of them. Whether it be with a lighting effect, or using an actual song... I totally know who I'm "copying" and it brings a smile to my face.

Nobody, I mean nobody that watches our display knows where I've borrowed things from. And I doubt they'd care either since we have almost no animated displays around us. People just like to watch dancing Christmas lights and that's what I like too so I do this crazy display.

All thanks to people sharing. So thank you sharers. You make it possible for us non-creative folks to appear creative. :D

I have built my display using Holdman as the sample.  I always loved the simplicity of the three colors he used.  I never knew that he shared his sequences and would love to see a few of his.

14 hours ago, JPat said:

I have built my display using Holdman as the sample.  I always loved the simplicity of the three colors he used.  I never knew that he shared his sequences and would love to see a few of his.

Here you go JPAT : http://www.highcountrylights.com/remository/func-startdown/31/

Tom

38 minutes ago, caniac said:

where do I find the audio for some of those?

Richard might be the one to ask, but I did find some audio here : http://www.holdman.com/christmas/sequences/free/

There is some more in here if you look around. Lots of other good sequences too. http://www.landolights.com/main/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,54/func,select/id,17/orderby,6/

Tom

Edited by TBS99

I must confess that my first year, (last year)  I did get borrowed sequences from a few people, I was new and lost, and whatever I tried on my own just didn't work.  I was able to take those borrowed sequences and learn, learn, learn.  Proud to say that all of this years sequences are my own.  When we decided to add some new props for this year, I tried to get them to mesh with the borrowed stuff and it was taking forever to "patch" the stuff in.  I ended up in February just wiping everything and starting the same songs from scratch. Worked all year on them.  Are they perfect?  Oh hell no, but they are all mine and my wife is proud.  I will however, be eternally grateful to those who shared, as I would still be struggling if I had to figure this out on my own...

• The topic was locked