Light-O-Rama Forums

Being original.

75redman

36 minutes ago, 75redman said:

Does anyone make there own sequences anymore? :D:D:P:P

Sure doesn't seem like it.  Sad...

I've never shown a sequence made by anyone else but me, nor has any of my clients ever received one that wasn't 100% original.

• Haha 1

I'm afraid that even I have succumbed to the borrowed sequences. One of my new ones this year is 50% George's programming. 

1 hour ago, Brian Mitchell said:

I'm afraid that even I have succumbed to the borrowed sequences. One of my new ones this year is 50% George's programming. 

That one doesn't count.  I'm a professional.

• Like 1

Not much.  For most of mine, I purchased the pixel tree, and then I sequenced the other 4,000 or so channels for the rest of the yard.

I can see borrowing or purchasing a sequence here and there.  I just think that there are so many looking (begging) for a hand out.  Just my thoughts...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 75redman said:

I can see borrowing or purchasing a sequence here and there.  I just think that there are so many looking (begging) for a hand out.  Just my thoughts...

Don't forget the ones that try to profit from others work. That's why I often think about stop sharing with folks or set some limits. Don't share with members that have less than 100 posts and are seeking other advice and not just asking for sequences. I do look at the profiles before I share to see their activity.

Yes Ive had this problem with my singing faces. Protecting them would make them worthless. Asking for a members channel config and copying to them is such a PITA.

The best news is LOR helps with these problems as needed but it is a shame that someone will take a free sequence and either just sell it out right or make a change that takes a minute to do and call it theirs and sell it.

I don't mind sharing, its what I do and its what the holidays are all about. 

JR

5 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Don't forget the ones that try to profit from others work. That's why I often think about stop sharing with folks or set some limits. Don't share with members that have less than 100 posts and are seeking other advice and not just asking for sequences. I do look at the profiles before I share to see their activity.

Yes Ive had this problem with my singing faces. Protecting them would make them worthless. Asking for a members channel config and copying to them is such a PITA.

The best news is LOR helps with these problems as needed but it is a shame that someone will take a free sequence and either just sell it out right or make a change that takes a minute to do and call it theirs and sell it.

I don't mind sharing, its what I do and its what the holidays are all about. 

JR

I'm all for the ones who WANT to share their work.  I just don't like the repetitive asking.  I don't like posting videos anymore because as soon as you do someone is asking for the sequence.  If I wanted to share it I would have posted it to share.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Sure doesn't seem like it.  Sad...

I've never shown a sequence made by anyone else but me,

Same here. Seems to me that sequencing is a dying art. It is becoming video editing.

I have been watching the forums for about 3 years now and have noticed a dramatic increase in people asking for sequences. I get messages all the time from people who want my sequences. I don't mind helping but it is really hard to spend 20 hrs on a sequence just to give it away. People don't even use Google when looking for sequences. I program all my own because I enjoy it. I have looked at other sequences when I first got involved in LOR just to see how to make different effects, but have never used any in my show. It is going to be interesting to see the new videos this year of the displays that people get sequences and not make them fit their channel config.

7 hours ago, 75redman said:

I'm all for the ones who WANT to share their work.  I just don't like the repetitive asking

I feel the same but some of these people have been asking for the same sequences for over 3 months now, could have taken some time and sequenced it themselves by now.

Tom

I like the old tutorial method, teach a man to fish analogy.

I don't need it done for me, show me how you did, and I will adapt that to my own show and will have learned things that will useful down the road.

I enjoy watching others peoples videos, then when I see an effect I like, go into SE or SS and try to create something similar for my props. I am really liking S5, in that you can sequence in SE, or SS and then add even more effects over them.

Alan...

• Like 1

As a followup to what I said, I fully admit that I'm NOT an artist.  I can make the software do what I want it to do.  I lack the creativity to know what I want it to do.  My solution is that I purchase sequences for my pixel tree from one of several well known sources.  One advantage of this is that I see how these sources did things in SuperStar.  I then sequence the rest of my yard based on the colors, patterns, and moves used on the pixel tree.

• Like 1

100% original. 

I don't use anything to assist me in sequencing either....plugins and such.  No papagayo.  No xlights. 

Sequencing is the the fun part for me.   I hate putting the show up and taking it down.  It is messy.  My sequence computer is nice and clean. 

Taking a sequence and adapting it takes a lot of work.  Since I don't have pixel trees or a matrix I don't see the point.

I am guilty of asking for free sequences.  Mostly for the singing faces.  (Thank you again to all who have shared with me)  

I know when I started doing the blinky blink, flashy flashing thing, I was in way over my head.  Started late in the year and maybe had 4 songs my first year(3 of which I got from here).  The first song(Jingle Bells) I sequenced took me about 30-40 hours to sequence.  

I think people watch the Christmas Light Shows on TV and think they're smart and computer savy and think they can just jump right in and make it happen.   Once they get started they realize it's much more than plug and play.  They panic and run to the first place/person that can help.  

I've gotten pretty good at manipulating existing sequences, but I'm still terrible at starting from scratch.  I spent a lot of time upgrading my lights and display this year.  I hope next year I can spend more time on sequencing and less on hardware.  There are many songs I'd like to try to do myself.    

That's my two cents on the topic, feel free to give me change.

I do!   I will add the caveat that I have downloaded a lot of free sequences if only to get ideas on *how* to format and program visuals I like.  But the actual finished sequences are still all mine.

If I do manage to get a show up this year, it'll be 100% original and only 3-4 songs because we're not using all of our stuff - we're going minimal, and I only just decided to set something up!

Edited by Jaynee

I have purchased my sequences from WOW lights. I reconfigure the channels to match my setup. I like the set up part of it. I don't have the spare time to sequence the number of channels I have. I am one of only 3 houses in my town that do this type of light show.

Edited by HVACR
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, sax said:

Sequencing is the the fun part for me.   I hate putting the show up and taking it down.

I'm just the opposite.  Sequencing is about one step above torture.  The hardware part is easy and fun for me.

• Like 5