Light-O-Rama Forums

Copy one pixel effect over another in S4

BundyRoy

I have created two images on my rgb matrix in the sequencer and I want to overlay one image (effect) over the other. I want to copy and paste it so the lights I copy override any of the lights in the area I paste it but where there is no lights on in the effect being pasted I want to leave the original lights on. I have tried paste in foreground but this is not working or at best combining the area where lights are on. Is there a way to effectively paste in foreground pixels. I have pixel editor if it can been done there.

Thanks.

Yes it can be done in SE, but I need to sit in front of my computer to explain it (on my phone now).  Maybe some who uses SE more than I do will jump in (I do all my sequencing in SuperStar).

Thanks Jim and Doug,

I must be doing something wrong. I tried ticking the paste from foreground panel and selecting the background effects button but it still doesn't work. It just completely overwrites the rgb channels no matter what combination of paste from foreground, background effects button or foregrond effects button I choose.

It doesn't make much difference what you select to copy from, as the SE ordinarily treats whatever exists in a given range of cells as foreground.  There either IS or ISN'T a lighting event in each cell when you copy a range of cells.

If you want to superimpose your paste over what's already there, you need to paste to background.  Nothing which currently exists in the paste range will be replaced - your paste will occur only in cells that are empty. 

When copying/pasting RGB channels, you'll sometimes get unexpected results.  The undo button should be easily reachable for those times.

Edited by George Simmons

Thanks George. I'm becoming an expert with the undo button. I select my the rgb area I want copy. No matter what option I choose when I paste it just seems to overwrite the lights that are on in that area and just paste what I copied. When you paste to background do you mean having the background effects button selected when you paste or is there another way to paste to background that I should be using.

If you have neither the foreground or background button pressed, the "Copy From" will default to both.  But as I mentioned before, this is mostly moot.

For pasting, having the background button pressed should work. 

My method for setting/changing my paste selection(s) is by using the Paste Options section of the Tools Panel.  This works well for me because it gives me access to all the various paste options without having to repeatedly access the EDIT > SET PASTE MODE drop down box.

Thanks George. My channels are DMX channels (smart pixels). Does this make a difference to whether it works. I'm pretty sure I have tried what you have said before and it didn't work but I will try it again tonight when I get home to confirm.