Light-O-Rama Forums

Only half of the string is lighting up

namecipS

I started testing all of my lights this weekend.  I found 4 strings (full wave C6's from HLE) where only half of the string will light up.  I also have one string that was purchased in February that hasn't been used where only half of the string is lighting up.  

I checked and changed the fuses.  No changes.

I emailed HLE to see if there was something else I could try.  Waiting for a response.  In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on something to try?

A long or high count string may be comprised of sub strings. Line voltage LED strings are Series devices (LEDS). Once the count in a single series goes past a certain number, a new sub string needs to be started.

It appears you have a bad LED or socket connection.  Rusted through LED leads has gotten me  more than once. FWIW I now bring all strings into the heated portion of the house and leave them powered on for 24hours before storage.

Possibly a broken wire.  Does the Outlet at the far end function?  No = bad Hot or common wire?  Not likely on a New string unless really poorly handled.

Starting at the Plug. examine the space between LEDS. Most 1/2 wave will have 3 wires (Common, Hot, next in series).  At the point there are FEWER wires, starts a NEW sub string.  Each sub string may have a current limiting resistor (and its own rectifier) usually in a bulge. Look for discoloration (if its the bulge, bad news: something fried) or loosely inserted bulbs in that section

On 10/24/2017 at 7:42 AM, LORisAwesome said:

You said these are full wave, so these are LED strings, right?  if so, you should get the LED Keeper pro.  The Light Keeper Pro is for incandescent strings.

https://www.ledkeeper.com/home/

Jerry

I have mostly incans and my light keeper pro has been invaluable - saved many a string for me over the years!

Namecips

You said they are from HLE, they are a stand up company and will replace them, also I am not sure how you could repair them, I have a couple hundred strings of their LED lights and have only had 2 or 3 go bad, usually like you said half the string goes out.

The bulbs are all sealed and I don't believe replaceable. Every string has fuses included but no bulbs, I will wait with you to see if anyone has a way to replace the bulbs, I hope I wont need that but will be good to know. 

I just reread your post, I see now your talking C6, I was talking M6, so not sure they are same in construction or not.

Keith

Edited by Kapkirk
add reread sentence

15 hours ago, Kapkirk said:

Namecips

You said they are from HLE, they are a stand up company and will replace them, also I am not sure how you could repair them, I have a couple hundred strings of their LED lights and have only had 2 or 3 go bad, usually like you said half the string goes out.

The bulbs are all sealed and I don't believe replaceable. Every string has fuses included but no bulbs, I will wait with you to see if anyone has a way to replace the bulbs, I hope I wont need that but will be good to know. 

I just reread your post, I see now your talking C6, I was talking M6, so not sure they are same in construction or not.

Keith

I've done the "Contact Us" thing twice and still no response.  I plan to call them tomorrow.  I'm pretty sure they'll replace the one ordered this year, but wondering what they'll do with the 3 from 2014.