Light-O-Rama Forums

At witts end

tbuff23

I have a 12 string 50 pixel mega tree I am running it with a pixie 16D  using only 12 channels.

I have checked the wiring and rechecked It,  it is hooked up right. I checked the lights by swapping

them around they all work I even went as far as buying a new controller still the same thing 

channels 1, 9, 10, 11 ,12 do not work. I checked the unit ID even took all the wires apart and

reconnected them  any ideas would be greatly  appreciated .

First off I think you're confusing the ports with channels.

Each Port Off the controller can have several different channels. 

Assuming you're talking about the ports have you tried testing the lights from the controller( running the controller in test mode)

I don't know this controller myself but all of them have an internal test so you can confirm if it's the lights the controller or communication between the controller and the computer. 

After you run the test from the controller let us know the results and we can better assist you. 

I ran test mode today and the channels still did not work which would lead

me to think the bulbs are but I can change the strings around and they work.

It is just those 5 ports that do not work on 2 different controllers. 

The ports and  channels use to work 12 ports 150 channels per port.

They used to work then one by one they stopped I have power to the ports.

Thanks,

Are you using this as LOR device or DMX device?

There is a setup bios for the controller....make sure the ports are setup with proper bulb type and length of pixels for all ports.  

Verify that your networks tab in LOR s/w is setup proper.   This is easily tested by verifying visualizer works proper.

If switching the lights shows all lights working it sounds like setup to me.....especially if changing controllers doesn't fix it.  Each port is fused but hard to believe each controllers fuses blew exact ports if you can move the lights and they work.  I would expect that moving the lights would cause additional fuse pop if the lights were wired wrong.

Start with network settings.  

Pixie16's are pretty forgiving. I have 5 and an 8.

The first time I connected pixel strings to one I had similar issues.

Check you green connectors - FIRST. Ensure they are connected properly. In some cases "righty-tighty" is wrong. Just take a look at the metal connectors inside and that the wire is being sandwiched between the two.

Once that's correct - check your channel config

Note- Pixies only work on LOR Enhanced, not DMX capable. (you do not get an option while setting up)

Also go into HU and ensure you in the pixie config settings and have a look. "Cosmic Color/ Pixie" settings. Since you have 1/2 of 1 side not working sounds like a rush to get it running on 2 different pixies its more than likely gonna be a user error, something you missed.

Let me add that unplugging and reconnecting those green connectors do not take much to loosen the wires inside or break the wires causing a poor or no connection problem.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

1. With the controller in test mode plug-in all of your strings one at a time into a port that you know is working to confirm that all of the strings operate. Do this by just switching the plugs around.

2. Use a volt ohm meter and check to see that you have power on all of the connectors. Go through and check every single one even the ones you know are working. 11.8 - 12.5v recommended voltage range. 

3. If 1 and 2 don't show any bad results then it's a setup problem.

You need to test your problem one thing at a time starting with the basics. 

4 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

1. With the controller in test mode plug-in all of your strings one at a time into a port that you know is working to confirm that all of the strings operate. Do this by just switching the plugs around.

2. Use a volt ohm meter and check to see that you have power on all of the connectors. Go through and check every single one even the ones you know are working. 11.8 - 12.5v recommended voltage range. 

3. If 1 and 2 don't show any bad results then it's a setup problem.

You need to test your problem one thing at a time starting with the basics. 

When checking voltage at the connector please check both sides. I say this because I had power at one of my connectors however I did not have power on the out to the string. That's how I discovered the reverse tightening of some of my connectors. (European I believe)

Also the same for data. You can have power but the data cable/ port at the connector  have a problem. 

JR

I also want to make this clear, while testing by switching the plugs around I mean the green ones on the controller board not any extensions that are connected to it. 

You need to confirm that all the power and data path is working all the way up to the green connector going into the board. 

• 2 weeks later...

I resolved the problem it was my channel #ing I numbered them 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 

it should have been 4....9.AbAc.10 etc thank you for all the help it was a great help learning exprence. 

• The topic was locked