Light-O-Rama Forums
JamesWright

Problem Playing Sequence

I need big time help please. I have a problem playing sequences from the S5 Sequencer. When I add a motion effect to a sequence and then preview a motion effect by clicking on the effect (or watching it play in the generator), the effect plays at the speed and rhythm that it is setup in the generator - all is fine. When that effect is played by playing the sequence, everything comes out jerky and out of speed and rhythm (timing) with what it is supposed to be. It is not just one effect, but the entire show that is doing this - both my E1.31 nodes and my LOR controller lights are being affected.

Last year I ran my show with the same number of channels/lights and did not have this problem. Right now I have 31,812 channels that are mostly RGB (via Ethernet)but also have a good number of LOR controlled strings and CCRs.

Hopefully, you can see the problem in the very short videos that I have linked to this topic.

This is a link to the "preview" play, in which everything is normal and correct: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aor4cHE_ElMqqWAjpb9_PqSb8tqw .

This is the link to the same effect played from the sequencer: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aor4cHE_ElMqqWHMDnSQYKQXNiIq . Please notice how jerky the effect is.

I am running on a high end Windows 10 computer with 16 MB of RAM and an SSD hard drive.

I hope someone out there can help me with this issue, I am at a loss.

Jim

Ooo, that's worse than what I've seen. I've seen where the visualizer randomly skips lights, or plays back a little "stutter stepped", but nothing like that.

I also have an SSD, and ended up putting everything on the SSD drive, because I was seeing delays between it and the normal drives.  

My suggestion, take a break, get some Kansas City Joe's burnt ends, and the world will at least seem better.  Then, hopefully, they'll have a fix for this.  

Randy T.

3 hours ago, JamesWright said:

This is a link to the "preview" play, in which everything is normal and correct: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aor4cHE_ElMqqWAjpb9_PqSb8tqw .

This is the link to the same effect played from the sequencer: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aor4cHE_ElMqqWHMDnSQYKQXNiIq . Please notice how jerky the effect is.

Jim,

I'm not understanding something here. What is the difference between "preview" play and the effect played from the sequencer? I can see the difference in the two videos.

If you have been sequencing for awhile, try saving, closing and restarting SE. I have found that this will sometimes fix a jerky/missing effect. (although I have never seen this on the lights themselves)

How big is this sequence ?(size) You could try, Creating the Playback files, then run Show editor for that sequence and play as a Show to see if this still is happening. This will create a .lcs (compressed file) in the directory and the show will run from that. the .lms file also has to be in the same directory.

Alan...

Edited by default

I agree with @default. Try saving the playback files, create a show with just that sequence, then play it with Show on Demand. That is the way your show will run and the ultimate test. 

Matt

@default and Matt:

Thanks for the responses. First let me clarify what I was talking about above. The particular file that I was using to demonstrate the problem is fairly small (for the large number of channels). The .loredit file is 21,194 KB (all files are on the SSD). I have tried saving and closing the file, and S5. I have even tried rebooting the computer. The problem still exists after all of that. The problem occurs on any and all effects and in any and all S5 sequence files. I have "play lights" turned on in the sequencer. When I double-click on any effect, the generator appears. In the generator, the effect plays the lights properly. All is fine. When I play the entire file from the sequencer (all or part of it), the lag and jerkiness appears. Again, this happens in all files, all of the time. It makes it very difficult to see the sequencing, via the actual lights, while you are working on it (how it looks on the actual props, not just in the preview). I do not see this sync problem in the preview display as it now runs smoothly. Also, I tried playing the file with the playback preview window both open and closed. The problem of playing the file from the sequencer continued to occur.

Another note. I checked the performance of the computer using Windows Performance Monitor while the file is playing. There is absolutely no problem with the monitored areas. The CPU never got over 8 % usage. 

After you suggested it, I did save the playback files and run them by show on demand. I am happy to say that the file played perfectly (at least as I had sequenced it :) ). That makes me happy since I now know that there will not be a problem with the show.

However, it would be interesting to know why the sequencer is producing problems with playing the lights.

And - Randy, I take my breaks at Jack's Stack. The best BBQ in the world!

Again, thanks for the help and suggestions. At least I know the show will play correctly.

Jim

P.S. As a side note, I never received notification of either of the above replies via email, even though I have notification turned on. JMW

Edited by JamesWright