Light-O-Rama Forums

COM / Port / 8002 Error

jroot

I'm a current LOR hobbyist running 80 channels for Christmas and around 40 for Halloween. Starting with RGB this year. To start, I wanted to connect my RGB Floods (8 units @ 10 watts). I have the new usb connector (RS-485, red one) and I installed the software from the CD included as well as downloaded from the website. Yet, I'm unable to successfully connect my new USB connector. I receive a COM and/or 8002 error the minute I open the hardware or attempt to refresh. Yet, I can go back to the current USB (black one) and the port works fine, no errors and I can refresh. This seems like a common issue and I've read several threads but none of the advice I've found seems to help. I've rebooted several times. I've tried it with only 1 unit connected via the Cat 5 (the error appears before I could attempt to connect that 1 unit anyway).

I'm curious to know from someone that added RBG to their existing show if they had similar issues. Is the issue the com I'm attempting to use is "dedicated" to the older, black USB connector? I did try other ports without success.

Note, I'm using a laptop that ~ 5 years old with Windows 7. I've used it to run my show for several years. My current version of windows is expired but I've never needed to upgrade it to run the show. I'm curious if this is interfering with the new drivers that I need for the RGB connection. But, if so: why does the old, non RGB setup run fine? And why do I not get driver errors, just com/port errors? I'm hesitant to pay $100 for Windows if its not going to help.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Jason

18 minutes ago, jroot said:

I'm a current LOR hobbyist running 80 channels for Christmas and around 40 for Halloween. Starting with RGB this year. To start, I wanted to connect my RGB Floods (8 units @ 10 watts). I have the new usb connector (RS-485, red one) and I installed the software from the CD included as well as downloaded from the website. Yet, I'm unable to successfully connect my new USB connector. I receive a COM and/or 8002 error the minute I open the hardware or attempt to refresh. Yet, I can go back to the current USB (black one) and the port works fine, no errors and I can refresh. This seems like a common issue and I've read several threads but none of the advice I've found seems to help. I've rebooted several times. I've tried it with only 1 unit connected via the Cat 5 (the error appears before I could attempt to connect that 1 unit anyway).

I'm curious to know from someone that added RBG to their existing show if they had similar issues. Is the issue the com I'm attempting to use is "dedicated" to the older, black USB connector? I did try other ports without success.

Note, I'm using a laptop that ~ 5 years old with Windows 7. I've used it to run my show for several years. My current version of windows is expired but I've never needed to upgrade it to run the show. I'm curious if this is interfering with the new drivers that I need for the RGB connection. But, if so: why does the old, non RGB setup run fine? And why do I not get driver errors, just com/port errors? I'm hesitant to pay $100 for Windows if its not going to help.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Jason

I have found some differences with the two dongles myself, there is a page under LOR documentation that talks about going to the device manager and tweaking some things there.  I had the same issue as you this year with the red dongle but followed the steps and it found and configured it.

Windows should, and does  allow BOTH  (I have a black (basic) for my slow devices, and the Red one for my Pixies

I would open the Windows device manager, and remove the USB device with yellow marks

If you installed the driver BEFORE you FIRST connect the devices, you should be good for any number of LOR adapters.

5 hours ago, jroot said:

My current version of windows is expired but I've never needed to upgrade it to run the show. I'm curious if this is interfering with the new drivers that I need for the RGB connection. But, if so: why does the old, non RGB setup run fine? And why do I not get driver errors, just com/port errors? I'm hesitant to pay $100 for Windows if its not going to help.

Windows 7 doesn't expire, so I'm wondering what you mean.  Or do you mean that your LOR software license expired?  If that's the case, the software never expires - only your ability to update to newer versions.  Renewing that is $29.95 - http://store.lightorama.com/solire.html .  BTW, upgrading to a higher license level also results in a license renewal.

However in any case, that should not affect your ability to run multiple LOR networks with different USB adapters (I also run two Black and one Red adapter).  Take a look at the Windows Device Manager and see if it shows a new comm port when you plug in either adapter.  That is also where you would change Comm port number should you want or need to do so.

Thanks everyone.

@k6ccc, to clarify on Windows, it's an old work computer. I receive frequent messages that my version windows needs to be renewed. I believe that's because it was part of a group/business license package and like you, assume it is not impacting my issues for now. I do have the most recent LOR software upgrade (4.3x)

I noticed multiple references in this thread to running BOTH the black and the red adaptors. Is that my problem? I've been trying to REPLACE my black with the red. So I'm literally unplugging black and replacing it with Red in the same port and instantly receiving the error. I did however also try the red adaptor in 2 other ports with no luck. I noticed in the LOR diagram (for CCRs) that they only show 1 adaptor which appear to power a standard controller box that is then daisy chained to a RGB controller. Please let me know if running both black and red is required.

Thanks!

Just to further clarify, the Windows message I get is that my version is "not genuine" and it wants me to enter my product key, which I don't have since its an old work laptop. Maybe this is impacting my ability to install the drivers?

I did open the device manager and the new adaptor is not recognized on any port, whereas the black one is recognized instantly.

Do you have another PC you can plug the Red HS485 into and watch Device manager to see what happens? Each Adapter Red or Black will be assigned a Comm Port number if successfully assigned so running multiple adapters at the same time is not an issue. I currently run 4 red and 1 black.

It needs to be determined if this an adapter issue or software. If you can plug the adapter into another PC and it shows up in Device manager will no errors, it most likely a software issue.

If the adapter does the same thing on another PC, that would lead me to believe it is an adapter issue. If it is new, create a Help Desk ticket, LOR will make it right.

Alan...

1 hour ago, jroot said:

Just to further clarify, the Windows message I get is that my version is "not genuine" and it wants me to enter my product key, which I don't have since its an old work laptop. Maybe this is impacting my ability to install the drivers?

Got it.  That can cause some issues, but I doubt it would be causing this problem.  Mostly it affects the ability to get and install updates from Microsoft.

1 hour ago, jroot said:

I did open the device manager and the new adaptor is not recognized on any port, whereas the black one is recognized instantly.

That is an issue.  I agree with Alan, can you try it on another PC?

2 hours ago, jroot said:

I noticed multiple references in this thread to running BOTH the black and the red adaptors. Is that my problem? I've been trying to REPLACE my black with the red. So I'm literally unplugging black and replacing it with Red in the same port and instantly receiving the error.

Nope.  One adapter, multiple adapters, changing adapters; all not a problem. 

thanks for the last comment. I was finally able to see the new adaptor and used auto config to assign it to a different port., I can't say for sure why it finally worked, but it would seem to be 1. plugging into a different port, then 2. reinstalling the driver, and 3. running auto config.

So now I have my new adapter on a new port and it connected to the RBG controller and lit a test flood light. So now I'm trying to refresh to ID my 3 standard units plus the new RGB and it will ONLY ID the 3 standard controllers, not the RGB. Maddening. Any ideas on that? I suppose I could next try to run both adapters, black for standard and red for RGB? But again, none of the LOR diagrams indicate that is normal or necessary.

12 minutes ago, jroot said:

thanks for the last comment. I was finally able to see the new adaptor and used auto config to assign it to a different port., I can't say for sure why it finally worked, but it would seem to be 1. plugging into a different port, then 2. reinstalling the driver, and 3. running auto config.

So now I have my new adapter on a new port and it connected to the RBG controller and lit a test flood light. So now I'm trying to refresh to ID my 3 standard units plus the new RGB and it will ONLY ID the 3 standard controllers, not the RGB. Maddening. Any ideas on that? I suppose I could next try to run both adapters, black for standard and red for RGB? But again, none of the LOR diagrams indicate that is normal or necessary.

You missed the instruction: Do NOT plug in the adapter at this time. (this is typical for many portable devices, that commonly get random port insertions)

If you do the reverse, the software driver is tied to a specific port. 

If you install first: you can then move the LOR adapter to any USB port. 

Thanks Ducks. I did in fact try it per the instructions to start without success. It just turned out that the steps above are the last things I did prior to it actually working. Who knows if that's why or not. My current problem is the RGB controller that was connected just a few minutes ago failed to connect as a daisy chain with standard controllers. And now I have the RGB controller isolated again but it still won't connect, refreshing finds 0 units.  Since this is a new or apparently separate issue from the 8802 error I'll likely create a SOS thread for that. But if you have advice on how to identify all my devices on one adapter like the daisy chain diagram I'll gladly take it.

3 hours ago, jroot said:

there should be a product key on that laptop unless your work peeled it off, if it's there (mine was underneath the battery) then keying it in makes the message go away.  Has nothing to do with your company license for the product but was that product purchased with the correct license.  I reformatted my laptop here and started getting that message until I put in the product key.  Product key goes with the laptop not the company.

You may have a network speed issue:

Pixies want a fast (red adapter) and can be enhanced LOR

older devices don't want over 115K or NOT enhanced.

You can't mix on the SAME network (which is why some of us wit only a few controllers run 2 networks). Best of both modes. .

Actually there was a business licence for W7. I did some IT work for my last company and installed it on dozens of machines, using our licence key.

• 1 year later...

Well, I just ran Halloween with no problems. Now I get the 8002 error. I used the USB dongle thing for Halloween, but I’m not using it now. All of a sudden I get this error. Any ideas? 

Edited by Dave76

• The topic was locked