Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT 1 male vampire plugs do not plug into female LED light strings.

Cajun Christmas

Male vampire plugs will not plug into female led light string ends. Is there a way around this ???  Why would this be like this ? My research has some people cutting down the big side , any wisdom on this would appreciated 

I think we've all cut the bigger "polarized" end off many times..  - And probably will continue to do so...

Just get a big enough cutter, and all should be good to go....  - Unless someone else says a reason not to ?

Or narrow down the wide side on a bench grinder if you don't have a cutter that will cut them.

Running any kind of extension cord off of the female end of a light string isn't advised, that's why it isn't polarized. For the most part it doesn't end well, the fuses in the male end aren't heavy enough to handle the additional load. 

Z

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zvacman said:

Running any kind of extension cord off of the female end of a light string isn't advised, that's why it isn't polarized. For the most part it doesn't end well, the fuses in the male end aren't heavy enough to handle the additional load. 

Z

The fuses are sized to protect the wires from OVERLOADING. That is why modern strings usually have a label on how many (of the same) can be connected end to end.

Polarization is required on line voltage lamps, where the shell (screw base) must not be on the Hot lead, which is easier to come in contact with. Since 1 hot wire runs to he other end (just for the outlet), I don't see WHY the plugs/outlet are not polarized?

And, yes, I clip or grind some plugs so I can 'jump' the gaps between windows

I personally don't grind/cut mine, I don't use my light strings as make shift extension cords. I just run SPT cord as needed. 

Well ..... Thanks everybody for the inside scoop. It was appreciated..... Well let's get grinding. ?

Side cutters and a good metal file are your friend here. I usually clip the wide prong with the cutters then clean up and trim the sharp edges with a file.

If the female end is plastic, you should be able to wiggle and force the plug into it.  The plastic is usually soft enough.  Not that I condone it.  I usually do it on the back side of the male end with extension cords.

9 hours ago, Little_b said:

If the female end is plastic, you should be able to wiggle and force the plug into it.  The plastic is usually soft enough.  Not that I condone it.  I usually do it on the back side of the male end with extension cords.

That just sounds..... wrong.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

That just sounds..... wrong.........

I agree, aren't there laws against that in some states?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Little_b said:

I have Vampire plug / outlets from multiple sources, multiple colors. Both have slider backs.  They are very hard. No give or Wiggle room.   Clip and trim is the only way..