Light-O-Rama Forums

Got My First Complaint

dgrant

There is always SOMEONE that will complain no matter what you do.  In running 34 houses, we get our fair share of complaints.  Most go in the circular file but some are legit and we make efforts to address them.  I grew up being told if you dont have something nice to say keep your mouth shut- too bad todays society doenst seem to understand that concept.

23 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Isn't it the parents job to deal with a child's fears whether they be real or imaginary?

This is the problem these days everyone wants everything around them to change to fit their needs if they don't like it.

If you take that down because this lady can't talk to her child and explain that is a fake piece of plastic and that's nothing more than decoration, maybe even have her or him touch it so she or he understands that it's not going to hurt them, then you're a part of the problem that we have with this PC correctness and other nonsense that's going on today. 

This is still a free country and everybody should be able to have their own likes and dislikes without forcing others to conform to their wishes. 

Just like somebody's probably going to jump in and blast what I said and that's their right. 

Blast you forecast you said? Naw, praise is more like it.

22 hours ago, George Simmons said:

In 2011, I had The Demented Elf do a package of announcements.  I heard his Halloween voice and just loved it.  After I got my stuff, I contacted him and had him re-do a couple in that voice.  I call it my Christmas monster.  I use it for a headlight reminder and also for a keep out of the yard reminder.  They're both very effective, and in each announcement he says please and thank you and even Merry Christmas. 

Since then, I've had maybe 4 people complain that their children were frightened when they heard that voice.  (One lady even said I was intentionally being cruel.)  It's always women - never had a guy complain.  I basically tell them to get bent, and suggest that they shouldn't bring their children by until the kids are old enough to either enjoy the voice or not be frightened by something they hear on the radio.  One lady left in a huff as I was laughing at her and said she was never coming back and was going to tell all her friends.  I still chuckle when I think about that one.  And I'm still waiting to see the drop off in traffic.

If someone's going to "jump in and blast" what Ebuechner said, it won't be me.  He's totally correct.  If more parents did their job we wouldn't have the human snowflake problem we see today.

Dang it George, stop saying stuff that makes me like you.

17 minutes ago, debtoews said:

There is always SOMEONE that will complain no matter what you do.  In running 34 houses, we get our fair share of complaints.  Most go in the circular file but some are legit and we make efforts to address them.  I grew up being told if you dont have something nice to say keep your mouth shut- too bad todays society doenst seem to understand that concept.

its all about how you approach the problem, if someone comes at me in a calm respectful manner and wants me to change something then I will try to accommodate within reason.  If you come at me with guns blazing telling what I will and will not do then I will quickly see if you can count to 1.

• Like 3

I am still waiting for the big huge protest I was promised last year from the freedom from religion moron in my town.

23 minutes ago, jerry72 said:

I am still waiting for the big huge protest I was promised last year from the freedom from religion moron in my town.

funny you should mention that, had a neighbor that hated our inflatables and often complained that our Christmas display "wasn't spiritual enough".  Found a ginormous nativity scene featuring the Peanuts gang with Woodstock in the manger.  Had it facing her property so she could see it everyday.  That year we set up Christmas early November so she could take it in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jerry72 said:

Dang it George, stop saying stuff that makes me like you.

Sorry - I must be out of practice.

• Haha 1

Only complaint I got so far was that the manger scene should not be "winky blinky".  The neighbor has been very animate about it, so I have decided to adjust it so that all the pieces are on one channel, rather than in sequence like mini trees.  I will leave it mostly on, or off, without a lot of interaction with the show.  Since my house lights up her entire living room, and family room....I feel I should be considerate to her only request.

I informed the association its going back up on Tuesday and no one said a thing. They did not ask me to take it down, just the one lady was less than happy. She mentioned in her message that she's glad she doesn't live next door too me. As I see it, good thing she doesn't live next too me because I'd turn up the sound and its up on Halloween night anyway. Here the past few nights, the show runs anyway, lights to Halloween music along with animation on a 24x50 matrix. I keep the volume down so as not to blast the neighborhood. But, Halloween day, I'll put out the animatronics, and get ready for the night...at which time the volume goes up! I'll have to extract her email to the association and post it in here.

• 4 months later...
On 2017-10-20 at 7:54 PM, ItsMeBobO said:

Once I had a serious complaint.   The police were sent to my house.   The officer was very nice and said he HAD to come and see what was going on.  Without going into details the gist of it was 'ITS HALLOWEEN'!   The officer listened to me and just said "ok   it IS Halloween" and left.  I have no idea what the officer told and complainer.  Nothing happened and I didn't change a thing.     I used to have kids crying.  And the goal was to have someone pee their pants.  This was the best thing which could happen and it did several times.  Usually they announced it which made it even funnier.   I say do your thing without apologizing. 

Yup that is my goal too.  I want to scare people.  About 50% of the kids come to our house.  My wife wants them all... I try to make it more creepy later... but all the parents love it.  They come in and get the candy sometimes for their kids.

Its a lot of fun.

On 3/6/2018 at 2:08 PM, Septon said:

Yup that is my goal too.  I want to scare people.  About 50% of the kids come to our house.  My wife wants them all... I try to make it more creepy later... but all the parents love it.  They come in and get the candy sometimes for their kids.

Its a lot of fun.

My goal this year for Halloween is to have my 10 foot tall spider put up. that should scare them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jerry72 said:

My goal this year for Halloween is to have my 10 foot tall spider put up. that should scare them.

haha, yeah I tell everyone, my house is like Wiley Coyote and Sam the Sheep Dog.  We both clock in at the start of trick or treating, and both check out at the end.  I want my candy... they want my candy.  Its time to roll. 

• The topic was locked