Light-O-Rama Forums

Got My First Complaint

dgrant

Halloween setup. A lady in the neighborhood complained to the association that her 6-year old was scared by my BigLots Skeletal Dragon I had sitting on top of the brick mailbox. She went on to mention the traffic at Christmas but said she wasn't complaining. I wrote her back and gracefully offered to take down the dragon till Halloween Day itself then it'll go back up along with the animatronics. I offered her to stop by any time and talk about her concerns but of course, she didn't write back. Its sitting in the garage now.

My Halloween display is a lot but not near as much as Christmas. I Can't seem to please everyone as I've also gotten lots of compliments.

image1.jpg

I will have to say if you start giving into people like this lady who complained and making compromises even at the smallest level at some point the show will no longer be your own creation. 

And if anyone is scared or creeped out about your Halloween setup then you know you're doing something right. 

I used to have parents and children standing at the end of my driveway the children are crying that they don't want to go to the house, and the parents point at the house and say no let's go here it's cool. ( we would usually turn a light on to make the child feel better)

• Like 2

Once I had a serious complaint.   The police were sent to my house.   The officer was very nice and said he HAD to come and see what was going on.  Without going into details the gist of it was 'ITS HALLOWEEN'!   The officer listened to me and just said "ok   it IS Halloween" and left.  I have no idea what the officer told and complainer.  Nothing happened and I didn't change a thing.     I used to have kids crying.  And the goal was to have someone pee their pants.  This was the best thing which could happen and it did several times.  Usually they announced it which made it even funnier.   I say do your thing without apologizing. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 1

THAT  is one cool Dragon. I'll have to swing by my local Big Lots... hope they have one left

Edited by BMurray

I had a "freedom from religion" yahoo complaining about my show. I am happy to say i am not part of a HOA, never will be, so it was up to me to tell the person to kiss my holly jolly plump behind.

• Haha 2

you should have told her that:

1) Don't walk your kid by my dragon... HE is scaring my dragon, I'll have to report you.

2) If you or he does not like the look of....  well than.... don't look at it.

3) It's Halloween... there will be MANY things that will scare your kid... It's time you sat him down and ACTUALLY taught him whats real and whats fake, or make believe, it's certainly NOT up to ME !   

What can I say...never intended to frighten a child. I did take it down but its going back up on Halloween! This neighborhood easily sees a thousand people trick-or-treating between the parents, hay-rides and kids of course.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:07 AM, Ebuechner said:

I will have to say if you start giving into people like this lady who complained and making compromises even at the smallest level at some point the show will no longer be your own creation. 

And if anyone is scared or creeped out about your Halloween setup then you know you're doing something right. 

I used to have parents and children standing at the end of my driveway the children are crying that they don't want to go to the house, and the parents point at the house and say no let's go here it's cool. ( we would usually turn a light on to make the child feel better)

Ditto on this. Imagine them seeing my 5' skeleton and baby skeleton strapped in the front seat of my van. Not to mention my real Hollywood prop zombie, I sometimes strp him on the roof or in the seat next to me. After 20 years he is starting to lose more hair.  When I used to do wicked frightening Halloween nights I would always go out to the end of my driveway for the little ones. I never had one make it to where I was sitting. But this is to early in the game. Its a toy/ prop.

JR

14 hours ago, dgrant said:

What can I say...never intended to frighten a child. I did take it down but its going back up on Halloween! This neighborhood easily sees a thousand people trick-or-treating between the parents, hay-rides and kids of course.

WHAT? Thats what Halloween is all about. Ahhh i remember the good ole days back in the early 90's, me and my friend would put on our masks, and hid outside his parents house and scare the heck out of everyone. Once, a teenage girl and her younger brother ran down the street and left their 5 year old sister standing in the yard. Their mom and dad stood in the street laughing, 5 year old thought we were just as funny.

we were told this year that our 15ft Godzilla was "bothering" the neighbors in the duplex to the right of our house.  These are one bedroom units with two adult renter.  They complained to their landlord who stormed over to demand we take it down.  She made the mistake of being snarky and yelling at my wife.  My wife is a gentle soul if you ask her to do something but if you demand it well, ya gets what ya gets!!!  Long story short she showed the lady that Godzilla was on our property and he stays.  She left in a huff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caniac said:

....  if you demand it well, ya gets what ya gets!!! .....

good to know - will keep in mind at the next mini... :P

• Like 1

On 10/24/2017 at 12:22 PM, dgrant said:

Isn't it the parents job to deal with a child's fears whether they be real or imaginary?

This is the problem these days everyone wants everything around them to change to fit their needs if they don't like it.

If you take that down because this lady can't talk to her child and explain that is a fake piece of plastic and that's nothing more than decoration, maybe even have her or him touch it so she or he understands that it's not going to hurt them, then you're a part of the problem that we have with this PC correctness and other nonsense that's going on today. 

This is still a free country and everybody should be able to have their own likes and dislikes without forcing others to conform to their wishes. 

Just like somebody's probably going to jump in and blast what I said and that's their right. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

Isn't it the parents job to deal with a child's fears whether they be real or imaginary?

This is the problem these days everyone wants everything around them to change to fit their needs if they don't like it.

If you take that down because this lady can't talk to her child and explain that is a fake piece of plastic and that's nothing more than decoration, maybe even have her or him touch it so she or he understands that it's not going to hurt them, then you're a part of the problem that we have with this PC correctness and other nonsense that's going on today. 

This is still a free country and everybody should be able to have their own likes and dislikes without forcing others to conform to their wishes. 

Just like somebody's probably going to jump in and blast what I said and that's their right. 

exactly, take your Godzillaphobia elsewhere!!!! :) 

In 2011, I had The Demented Elf do a package of announcements.  I heard his Halloween voice and just loved it.  After I got my stuff, I contacted him and had him re-do a couple in that voice.  I call it my Christmas monster.  I use it for a headlight reminder and also for a keep out of the yard reminder.  They're both very effective, and in each announcement he says please and thank you and even Merry Christmas. 

Since then, I've had maybe 4 people complain that their children were frightened when they heard that voice.  (One lady even said I was intentionally being cruel.)  It's always women - never had a guy complain.  I basically tell them to get bent, and suggest that they shouldn't bring their children by until the kids are old enough to either enjoy the voice or not be frightened by something they hear on the radio.  One lady left in a huff as I was laughing at her and said she was never coming back and was going to tell all her friends.  I still chuckle when I think about that one.  And I'm still waiting to see the drop off in traffic.

If someone's going to "jump in and blast" what Ebuechner said, it won't be me.  He's totally correct.  If more parents did their job we wouldn't have the human snowflake problem we see today.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, George Simmons said:

...the human snowflake problem....

Snot rockets went everywhere! Love you George. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

Snot rockets went everywhere! Love you George. 

Glad I could help keep your nasal passages clear.   :D

PS - Your house face is totally excellent!

Edited by George Simmons

I think that it's following the spirit of Halloween. Shouldn't the mom be telling the kid that [1] it's not real and [2] it's part of what Halloween is about? I think at this point it's not too early to put your decorations out on your yard. However, there is a point of community respect. I've yet to hear a complaint on the bright lights (or noise from our bickering during setup), so I don't know how much this advice really helps. Additionally, your decorations make me roar with laughter. Especially the way you handle this. You took the very diplomatic and professional path. I'm glad to see that your show is making an impact in your neighborhood.

Enjoy your Halloween weekend!