Light-O-Rama Forums
Jefffrompawpaw

Changing my show next year to RGB

So as of today I have everything I need to start playing around with my CMB24d, Dumb strips (8) and a power supply.  I have full intentions not to use RGB this year, I just want to test and see how easy to use and how much of a nightmare programming it will be.  Right now I'm right in the middle of  getting my  Christmas show up and going.  But once it is going I will start RGB play time.

One question I never thought of until I opened my Dumb strips today was,  can I hook up more than 1 16 ft section together.  I see on the strips that there is a male on one end and a female on the other end so it looks like I can add a few together. So if I can what is the max I can hook together?

On 11/17/2017 at 11:54 PM, Jefffrompawpaw said:

So as of today I have everything I need to start playing around with my CMB24d, Dumb strips (8) and a power supply.  I have full intentions not to use RGB this year, I just want to test and see how easy to use and how much of a nightmare programming it will be.  Right now I'm right in the middle of  getting my  Christmas show up and going.  But once it is going I will start RGB play time.

One question I never thought of until I opened my Dumb strips today was,  can I hook up more than 1 16 ft section together.  I see on the strips that there is a male on one end and a female on the other end so it looks like I can add a few together. So if I can what is the max I can hook together?

Hello Jeff,

YES.  Simply put (And FYI those MALE ENDS come out... pull one out to see what I mean... so don't worry about direction.. I found out half way through this haha but I mostly soldered my pieces).  You can cut them on those lines and run more than 16'.  However depending on the length you may have a power meaning not as bright as it could/should be.  Mine are 20 and 24' and works great!

On 11/17/2017 at 7:54 PM, Jefffrompawpaw said:

I've heard this from I think WowLights or Holiday Coro:

You can run two 16ft strands in series on one extension cord, or two or more extension cords in series connecting to just one RGB strand. It's all about power supply over distance.