Light-O-Rama Forums

Changing my show next year to RGB

Jefffrompawpaw

How do I connect my pigtails?   Which color cable goes where?  

I used this guide....since I use Sans devices for my controller I adapted to the scheme created here so I could purchase pre soldered pigtail pixels.  Plus the 4 pin fits into my scheme of sharing extensions with dumb rgb.  I reversed the pigtails on the dumb so I can not plug a pixel strip into a dumb controller by accident.  Instant death to pixel one of that string if you do....so it is bad.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2-5m-DC12V-60leds-m-20pcs-ws2811-ic-meter-20pixels-led-digital-strip-in-silicon-tube/701799_32310654697.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.39b87be4Fif0vj

Ray has a whole section of Sans Devices pre-made pixels so you don't have to solder.  Just be sure to use this wiring convention.

Edited by sax

If I can ask in this thread being that there is a lot of Flood discussion, does the 8 pack with controller from LOR just integrate into an existing show that I have with my 3 other controllers?  I believe that I can run a total of 4 controllers off the mini director, so that would be ideal and a great asset to the show this year.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:20 AM, JPat said:

If I can ask in this thread being that there is a lot of Flood discussion, does the 8 pack with controller from LOR just integrate into an existing show that I have with my 3 other controllers?  I believe that I can run a total of 4 controllers off the mini director, so that would be ideal and a great asset to the show this year.

Ours integrated just fine! We were even able to daisy chain them off our AC controller!!

I am going to throw out some questions , answer them if you can.

Will I have to run my setup like this picture below, meaning pixel controller in front of my Lor controller.  I assumed I would have to go Lor controller then to the Pixel controller because that's how my sequences are programmed.

2.  If I go with a Sans pixel controller does that still work with LoR software? 

3.  What programs will I have to use to create sequences using Pixels or RGB strips, and what version will I need to run the programs.

4.  I use a Gen 3 MP3 mini director to run my show, is that still going to be possible?

LOR-BasicLayout-WithRGBController-RevB-1

The Sans devices controller does not run on the LOR network. You will have to have another new network that goes from your pc network card to the Sans controller.  This is known as e 1.31. And setup is super easy...you connect it just like another computer to your network.  

Example...

I have a seperate show pc.  I connect my LOR network using the USB hub purchased from LOR.  I then daisy chain using cat 5 cables all my LOR controllers together...6AC controllers...2DC controllers...3CCR controllers.

I have an entec pro USB device that I use for my dumb rgb.  It uses another USB port.  I have 4 DC DMX controllers and 2 DMX RGB floods on this network (purchased before LOR had the 10w floods of today).  These are daisy chained using cat 5 cable as well.

Then I have my pixel network which is e1.31.  I take my Ethernet connection on the back of the pc and put it in a cheap network switch.  I then connect 2 cat 5 cables to this switch that go from the switch out to...one to one controller on one side of the house.  Another to another cheap switch on the other side of the house.  I then connect 3 controllers to this switch.  My cards are configured unicast ...which means I specify the ip addresses of each card.  As I add more pixel controllers I just plug into the switch.  

It sounds confusing but it's not.  Basically plug the Sans into your home network....plug your pixels in and away you go.  I use switches to limit the cables from the pc to each device.  I put cheap switches close to the controllers and that's how I limit the number of cables.

One caution here.  All of these networks....LOR....DMX.....e1.31.....all must remain seperate.  All use cat5 cables.  But if you connect them to the wrong network damage will occur.  So they must always remain seperate.

Yes...LOR software works.  It works great.  I use superstar and find that program my choice of programs to sequence with.  It does cost more.  And in the end you export from superstar back into the sequence editor to run the show.  So you don't have to have superstar....but it's my recommended sequencer.

To get these to work you must have advanced software version (required for dmx and e1.31 use).  And you must go into network settings in the LOR software suite and configure it per your card.  Again, super easy but it's a step you must not forget.

And you will not be able to do this without running it on a pc.  Pixels really require pc.  

Edited by sax

So as of today I have everything I need to start playing around with my CMB24d, Dumb strips (8) and a power supply.  I have full intentions not to use RGB this year, I just want to test and see how easy to use and how much of a nightmare programming it will be.  Right now I'm right in the middle of  getting my  Christmas show up and going.  But once it is going I will start RGB play time.

One question I never thought of until I opened my Dumb strips today was,  can I hook up more than 1 16 ft section together.  I see on the strips that there is a male on one end and a female on the other end so it looks like I can add a few together. So if I can what is the max I can hook together?

On 11/17/2017 at 11:54 PM, Jefffrompawpaw said:

So as of today I have everything I need to start playing around with my CMB24d, Dumb strips (8) and a power supply.  I have full intentions not to use RGB this year, I just want to test and see how easy to use and how much of a nightmare programming it will be.  Right now I'm right in the middle of  getting my  Christmas show up and going.  But once it is going I will start RGB play time.

One question I never thought of until I opened my Dumb strips today was,  can I hook up more than 1 16 ft section together.  I see on the strips that there is a male on one end and a female on the other end so it looks like I can add a few together. So if I can what is the max I can hook together?

Hello Jeff,

YES.  Simply put (And FYI those MALE ENDS come out... pull one out to see what I mean... so don't worry about direction.. I found out half way through this haha but I mostly soldered my pieces).  You can cut them on those lines and run more than 16'.  However depending on the length you may have a power meaning not as bright as it could/should be.  Mine are 20 and 24' and works great!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 7:54 PM, Jefffrompawpaw said:

I've heard this from I think WowLights or Holiday Coro:

You can run two 16ft strands in series on one extension cord, or two or more extension cords in series connecting to just one RGB strand. It's all about power supply over distance.