Light-O-Rama Forums

Changing my show next year to RGB

Jefffrompawpaw

I've been using LOR going on my 4th X-mas. I've included a video from a few years back.  I could never get good at producing a video that looked great.  As you can see in the video it's all L.E.D. 16 channel LOR. 

Here comes the question.  I want to install RGB strip lights to my roof line and flood lights from the ground up but I have no clue where to start.  So I am going to give you guys my needs/wants and I would like you to tell me what to buy and where to buy it  Talk to me like it's my first post.

To start with I need 60 feet of RGB strip to cover my roof line.  Then I want 4 RGB flood lights.

If I were going to make just one order what would  a purchase order list be?  Please be specific like how many power supplies and all the cables.  Once I have everything I need I am confident I can get it going.  My soldering skills are decent

For your floods I'd use this, you get 8 floods instead of 4...http://store.lightorama.com/10wrgbfl8pa.html

You'd have to install it in a case and add the power supply or you can pay extra and go with this which has already done that for you. http://store.lightorama.com/10wrgbflplpa.html

You're going to need another cat-5 cord to daisy chain this to your network.

The RGB ribbon is a whole lot more decisions to make, smart RGB? dumb RGB? You should do alot of research before you pull the trigger on RGB strip, lots of options/choices there. How many channels do you wish to sequence in the future? Remember, each light of RGB is 3 channels, RGB lights cause your channels count to go up drastically! Good luck!

6 hours ago, oilmoney said:

You'd have to install it in a case and add the power supply or you can pay extra and go with this which has already done that for you. http://store.lightorama.com/10wrgbflplpa.html

You're going to need another cat-5 cord to daisy chain this to your network.

The RGB ribbon is a whole lot more decisions to make, smart RGB? dumb RGB? You should do alot of research before you pull the trigger on RGB strip, lots of options/choices there. How many channels do you wish to sequence in the future? Remember, each light of RGB is 3 channels, RGB lights cause your channels count to go up drastically! Good luck!

The ready to go floodlights are going to be my type of intro into RGB.  As for the strips I think I just want dumb strips.  all I want to do is be able to change colors.

What version of Sequence editor will I need to use RGB?  Right now I have Basic 3.11.2v

28 minutes ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

The ready to go floodlights are going to be my type of intro into RGB.  As for the strips I think I just want dumb strips.  all I want to do is be able to change colors.

What version of Sequence editor will I need to use RGB?  Right now I have Basic 3.11.2v

That all depends on the number of controllers you end up with.  Your Basic only allows four controllers so you will likely need to up the license level.  I would take the opportunity to upgrade versions too.  3.11 is three years or so outdated.  S4 is a huge change, and S5 will be when it comes out of beta.

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jeff.  I just posted about this.  I was confused as crap at first too.  See how I went about it.  I ordered the RBG strips from Ali Express and had great success.  For me it wasn't the items... IE RBG FLOODS or RBG Strips... it was the accessories, power, how to hook them to the windows, roof.  I am by no means an expert, this was MY FIRST install... and from Sept 15 to Oct 15 I learned a tonn.  But my favourite thing I learned was using CAT 5 as wiring! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2017 at 2:48 AM, Jefffrompawpaw said:

I've been using LOR going on my 4th X-mas. I've included a video from a few years back.  I could never get good at producing a video that looked great.  As you can see in the video it's all L.E.D. 16 channel LOR. 

Here comes the question.  I want to install RGB strip lights to my roof line and flood lights from the ground up but I have no clue where to start.  So I am going to give you guys my needs/wants and I would like you to tell me what to buy and where to buy it  Talk to me like it's my first post.

To start with I need 60 feet of RGB strip to cover my roof line.  Then I want 4 RGB flood lights.

If I were going to make just one order what would  a purchase order list be?  Please be specific like how many power supplies and all the cables.  Once I have everything I need I am confident I can get it going.  My soldering skills are decent

Very classy!  Love it.

On 11/2/2017 at 9:31 AM, Septon said:

Hey Jeff.  I just posted about this.  I was confused as crap at first too.  See how I went about it.  I ordered the RBG strips from Ali Express and had great success.  For me it wasn't the items... IE RBG FLOODS or RBG Strips... it was the accessories, power, how to hook them to the windows, roof.  I am by no means an expert, this was MY FIRST install... and from Sept 15 to Oct 15 I learned a tonn.  But my favourite thing I learned was using CAT 5 as wiring! 

Your video helped.  Of course there is not time for it, this year but I will be learning for next year.  

What all did you order from alliexpress?  And what did you order from other sources?  

Where did you get Cat 5 cable and connectors?

Where did you get your power supply JCPower 360? 

Hey Jeff,

Here is what I ordered. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-Strip-5050-30LED-m-5m-150LEDs-12V-flexible-light-Warm-White-White-Red-Blue-Green/32327518420.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Yi7MRC

(Choose the Changeable IP65)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-transformer-5V-12V-24V-Switch-LED-Power-Supply-2A-3A-4A-5A-6A-10A-12A/32723534214.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Yi7MRC

12V 30A 360W  is what I choose.  (Read on the forums that it is important to match power supply to lights... 12v to 12v and 5v to 5v... and is very important!)

Plus I ordered:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RGB-Amplifier-Controller-12A-For-3528-5050-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-DC12-24V/32259913274.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Yi7MRC

I didn't need them, but for $2 I figured what odds.  I may yet.

My total cost was $197

PLUS I ordered the cards at LOR.  I used the kids Crayon holder as a case... and put a $1 board in between the power unit and my card.

As for the FLOODS I ordered them from LOR too because I was a bit too confused... and glad I did as I now know a bit better.  Next set of FLOODS I will order from Ali I think... I plan on running 16 RBG lights from 1 24 Channel board by doubling up.  IN theory the math works... (yes pairing them up means 2 will act the same but I am good with that).

As for the CAT 5.  IT IS SUPER EASY.... I am a network guy... but as god as my witness I can show you how to do it in under 5 min via email or texts.  SUPER EASY.

You will need a CRIMPER something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Maintenance-Professional-Connector-Troubleshooting/dp/B075ZT8LBQ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1510233455&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=crimper+rj45&psc=1

You can also order ends on Amazon... cheaply

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017YQZMNC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

You can get the covers too for $7... but my theory is why?  I tape the ends anyway...

https://www.amazon.com/BATIGE-Keystone-Coupler-Connector-Adapter/dp/B0716WND99/ref=sr_1_cc_8?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1510233727&sr=1-8-catcorr&keywords=cat+5+female

It may seem not worth it this way... but honestly... I couldn't imagine doing it more cost effective long term.

And FYI.  ALIExpress had it to me in 7 days... and so did LOR for the cards.  It could take you a weekend to prep... so it is doable. For me it took me longer to figure it out.

Make sense?

9 hours ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

Your video helped.  Of course there is not time for it, this year but I will be learning for next year.  

What all did you order from alliexpress?  And what did you order from other sources?  

Where did you get Cat 5 cable and connectors?

Where did you get your power supply JCPower 360? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Septon said:

I should note!  I bought 17 rolls of LED Strips... and soldered and made them to size.  If you are only seriously looking at 60' you would only need 4 (that would 64' but get 5 just because..)

You would only need 1 LOR card... and order 4 floods from them the first time.  (Someone recommended that to me... I agree.)

Use the remaining channels for your Strips.  If you are using more than 4 locations... you can double up your strips or RBG... You should be under power needed in this case.

On 10/20/2017 at 4:30 PM, Jefffrompawpaw said:

LOR's 8 pack of RGB floods were my intro into the Wonderful World Of Color! (Aka: RGB lights!) And it was a great decision. They are easy to use. Easy to program. And they create GREAT wall washing effects. 

If I were you I wouldn't go with dumb RGB strips. You're going to buy them, and might love them for a year, but you're going to quickly wish you would have bought the intelligent pixels! Once you see how many more AMAZING effects you can get with the intelligent pixels you'll never consider dumb strips again. The intelligent pixels might be a little more expensive but they are well worth it, and you can get great effects using LOR's Pixel Editor which is really easy to use once you get it figured out! 

• Like 1

Nobody beats LOR for floods.  Easy to install...setup...2 year warranty.  The only downside is distance to controller....finding extensions is an issue outside of what LOR sells.

Do not buy dumb rgb for your roofline.  Be smart and get the pixels.  Ray has them for $15 each.  I would be sure to have 2 spare.  If you don't want to sequence them.....fine.  You can create a channel of 50 pixels for each strip and just make it one color.  It is easy.  You don't always have to make razzle dazzle and my strips typically are just one solid color.  But it doesn't have to be.  And one day soon you will want to do something else other than solid.  Guaranteed. And to prepare now is the best advice you will ever get.  Because you will save money down the road.

Do yourself a favor and use the premade extensions you can get.  It saves time.  They last longer and are easily replaced.  I wasted time and money creating my own the first year.  Never again.

Get extra power supplies.  I used meanwell type supplies and tucked them in cg 1500 boxes ($11-$20 each) for years.  I am starting to replace them with outdoor rated supplies but be sure to get at least one extra in case one dies.  Amazon seems to have the best deal on these if your a prime member....due to free shipping.  Otherwise they seem to be the same price.

For your pixel controller I would recommend Sans devices. But look at Falcon, LOR and Sans.  LOR is a no for me because I want my pixels on a seperate network than LOR.  

But full disclosure:

I have 3 LOR CCRs 5 of Ray's strips on my roofline.  16 LOR floods and 2 from Ray.  200 strawberry pixels from HC. 750 bullet pixels from Ray.  500+ dumb nodes...square, rectangle, bullet...from Ray.  My pixel controllers are all Sans Devices. 1 682 and 3 6804.  My dumb rgb controllers are 2 LOR  and 4 from Ray.

I am speaking from experience when I say don't do dumb rgb   I did and have several spare dumb components.  I was afraid of the leap but found it way easier than i thought it would be.   The key is to sequence each strip as if it was just one strip....like you would if it was a dumb strip.  Groups allow this in the sequence editor.  Just create the group...leave it collapsed and it is easy to sequence.

Test it out before you buy...go into sequence editor and confirm this.

Connecting the controllers is easy too.  So don't let that hold you back either...but you could use LOR and not deal with it at all.  The pixie 8 is a nice controller...I have one for testing...but you might need more than one LOR network to handle the amount of data. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sax said:

Nobody beats LOR for floods.  Easy to install...setup...2 year warranty.  The only downside is distance to controller....finding extensions is an issue outside of what LOR sells.

Do not buy dumb rgb for your roofline.  Be smart and get the pixels.  Ray has them for $15 each.  I would be sure to have 2 spare.  If you don't want to sequence them.....fine.  You can create a channel of 50 pixels for each strip and just make it one color.  It is easy.  You don't always have to make razzle dazzle and my strips typically are just one solid color.  But it doesn't have to be.  And one day soon you will want to do something else other than solid.  Guaranteed. And to prepare now is the best advice you will ever get.  Because you will save money down the road.

Do yourself a favor and use the premade extensions you can get.  It saves time.  They last longer and are easily replaced.  I wasted time and money creating my own the first year.  Never again.

Get extra power supplies.  I used meanwell type supplies and tucked them in cg 1500 boxes ($11-$20 each) for years.  I am starting to replace them with outdoor rated supplies but be sure to get at least one extra in case one dies.  Amazon seems to have the best deal on these if your a prime member....due to free shipping.  Otherwise they seem to be the same price.

For your pixel controller I would recommend Sans devices. But look at Falcon, LOR and Sans.  LOR is a no for me because I want my pixels on a seperate network than LOR.  

But full disclosure:

I have 3 LOR CCRs 5 of Ray's strips on my roofline.  16 LOR floods and 2 from Ray.  200 strawberry pixels from HC. 750 bullet pixels from Ray.  500+ dumb nodes...square, rectangle, bullet...from Ray.  My pixel controllers are all Sans Devices. 1 682 and 3 6804.  My dumb rgb controllers are 2 LOR  and 4 from Ray.

I am speaking from experience when I say don't do dumb rgb   I did and have several spare dumb components.  I was afraid of the leap but found it way easier than i thought it would be.   The key is to sequence each strip as if it was just one strip....like you would if it was a dumb strip.  Groups allow this in the sequence editor.  Just create the group...leave it collapsed and it is easy to sequence.

Connecting the controllers is easy too.  So don't let that hold you back either...but you could use LOR and not deal with it at all.  The pixie 8 is a nice controller...I have one for testing...but you might need more than one LOR network to handle the amount of data. 

This is GREAT ADVICE!  Perhaps i should have had it too. :)  I did  get RBG and while it is my first year at it... I am liking them... but see your point about pixel ones... I am already looking at it.  HOWEVER... not having a clue how to go about it.  Can you send links to items you have?  And do they use the normal LOR controllers?

2 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

LOR's 8 pack of RGB floods were my intro into the Wonderful World Of Color! (Aka: RGB lights!) And it was a great decision. They are easy to use. Easy to program. And they create GREAT wall washing effects. 

If I were you I wouldn't go with dumb RGB strips. You're going to buy them, and might love them for a year, but you're going to quickly wish you would have bought the intelligent pixels! Once you see how many more AMAZING effects you can get with the intelligent pixels you'll never consider dumb strips again. The intelligent pixels might be a little more expensive but they are well worth it, and you can get great effects using LOR's Pixel Editor which is really easy to use once you get it figured out! 

Hey it was your show that made me second guess going RBG DUMB... love your show!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Septon said:

Hey it was your show that made me second guess going RBG DUMB... love your show!

Thanks! :)

Our first year when we decided to make the switch to RGB I was dead set on dumb RGB. I wanted the simplicity of the programming, and the overall simplicity of them. However, I figured "Go big or go home" right? There have been plenty of times I have been out talking to people about the light show, and one of the "intelligent" effects happen on all the pixels and you here this massive "GASP" as everyone watching it is blown away. You can hear them all saying "OMG! Did you see that? I didn't know lights could do that! That's amazing!" 

The "WOW" factor that it provides to your viewers is well worth the little bit of extra work, and cost! Plus, once you learn the PE it is REALLY easy to use, and every time you do a song, you learn something new that you can use for future songs. It's this crazy addiction. You'll love it!!

Anyway, with all that being said, I know you'll make the right decision for you, and it's going to look good!! Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

This is becoming a wealth of information on the subject of RGB.  Huge thanks to everyone.

SAX

Could you please provide links to the Pixels from Ray.  I am familiar with Aliexpress but not Ray.  I would like to see the exact items to order.  And also a link to the premade extensions.  I am not sure what those are.

And a Sans device Pixel controller.  Againg, no clue what that is , so a link to the actual product would be very helpful.

7 hours ago, sax said:

But full disclosure:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

Thanks! :)

Our first year when we decided to make the switch to RGB I was dead set on dumb RGB. I wanted the simplicity of the programming, and the overall simplicity of them. However, I figured "Go big or go home" right? There have been plenty of times I have been out talking to people about the light show, and one of the "intelligent" effects happen on all the pixels and you here this massive "GASP" as everyone watching it is blown away. You can hear them all saying "OMG! Did you see that? I didn't know lights could do that! That's amazing!" 

The "WOW" factor that it provides to your viewers is well worth the little bit of extra work, and cost! Plus, once you learn the PE it is REALLY easy to use, and every time you do a song, you learn something new that you can use for future songs. It's this crazy addiction. You'll love it!!

Anyway, with all that being said, I know you'll make the right decision for you, and it's going to look good!! Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

Hey Matt,  where can I see some videos of your display?

7 minutes ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

Hey Matt,  where can I see some videos of your display?

All videos can be viewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZlWVXYtz20F1hJpctM-TMA 

Though, this is probably the best video from last year:

Also, I'm so glad I've got a new camera for this year!! :) 

18 minutes ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

I am familiar with Aliexpress but not Ray.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/701799

Sax will have to supply the exact pixels.

19 minutes ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

And a Sans device Pixel controller.  Againg, no clue what that is , so a link to the actual product would be very helpful.

http://sandevices.com/

I have both E682 and E6804 controllers.

If you don't want to mess with Cat5, monoprice.com has the cheapest prices on pretty much any length.  I usually stockpile extra's of various lengths.