Light-O-Rama Forums

Replacing a male plug

Jeffery m

Good evening lightoholics I need some advice please.I have two sets of led light strands on one of my existing window frames I built last year and some how in storage both strands are missing the male ends So my question is if their not polarized can I put a male vampire plug on them.Suggestions please.Thanks 

Is there an outlet at the other end and does it have a wide slot? (there will be 3 wires after the first LED. ). That lead will be the Wide prong )

Vampire plugs expect a certain wire gauge (18 for SPT1) and insulation thickness.  If you wires are smaller in either, the points may not pierce and be firmly held.

Spacing is the other factor. IMHO get a simple, pull apart screw terminal plug

I have some old lights was thinking I could cut the ends off them and use but they are incans,Would that work

40 minutes ago, Jeffery m said:

I have some old lights was thinking I could cut the ends off them and use but they are incans,Would that work

That will work just fine. You can either solder them or use butt splice crimp connectors. I would also use heat shrink to seal up the repair. I like the glue lined heat shrink to make the repair waterproof.

41 minutes ago, Jeffery m said:

as long as the resistor/diode nodule is still intact on the strings.  What happened to the plugs?

Not sure got messed up when organizing my storage building I guess.Is it sad that I felt like I lost a family member when I found them like that