Light-O-Rama Forums
dougd

Preview Props and Sequencing Data and possible Bug

Somehow I have potentially messed my sequences up. I need some understanding to know how to properly fix them. I have had 2 16 x 50 mega trees for a couple of years now. 1 tree my first string is bottom left, 2nd tree my first string is bottom right. This way i can put the same sequencing on them and they mirror each other.

When i re-created the trees in the S5 preview I forgot to choose on the second tree that the first string was bottom right. I noticed a few days ago that the trees were not mirrored and changed the prop to first string was bottom right. Didnt fix my problem. I just noticed that even though I have the first string is on the right, When I turn string 1 on in the grid it lights the first sting on the left.

Question is this, all of the channel information anymore is in the preview/prop which is a great idea. What links the sequencing data to the prop in the grid? How does Mega Tree 1 sequencing data know to light Mega 1 prop?

Hope all this makes sense.

Did you recreate the playback files to save the changes in it also? Or are you experiencing this in the preview window also?

SPaschall

I havent done anything with play back files yet. I have my trees up and was testing this past weekend. Noticed the trees were not in sync. That was the first time I noticed they were not correct in the preview either. That was when I found I had not picked  the starting location as bottom right. When I selected bottom right nothing changed in the preview. SO I started reversing the sequencing on the tree on the right. When I did it played correct on the preview and the live tree. Something still was confusing me. That was when I lit just string 1 in the grid, was expecting the sting on the right to light but the string on the left lit. 

Now I am really confused.

With no channel data in the actual grid. It is hard to tell what exactly is going on.

doug,

I think what is happening here is that Sequence Editor really doesn't care where the start string is located, left, right, top or bottom. (at least on a tree prop) I think it really only matters if you are importing from SS.

Using the Bar effect as an example, in SE you can pick the direction of travel, left, right, up, down, etc. So if you were to set you prop up as a bottom right start, that would mean all of the travel directions within SE would be reversed, and that's not what happens. If you picked travel left, regardless of the starting point the effect goes left. Does that make sense?

If you were to set up props in SE with a starting point of bottom left, this is how the strings would be setup
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   --> expected direction of travel

If you were to set up props in SE with a starting point of bottom right, this is how the strings would be setup
16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1   <-- expected direction of travel

However in SS, you have already picked the direction of travel with your sequencing and are applying that sequence to a prop is SE. It is then that it become important that the SE prop understands where the starting point is?

Were these sequences done in SS? If so were they sequenced together (both sequenced together on the same screen?)

If these were sequenced in SS, you might try setting up another temp Preview with only these trees as they are set up in SS. (1 starting bottom left and 1 staring bottom right)

In the preview for SE, create a Group and select Horizontal Stack, create a quick sequence in SS and import that into the temp SE preview and see what happens.

I was trying to duplicate your scenario in with SE props, and it doesn't seem to care where the starting point is. That's why I am suggesting trying the SS approach.

Alan...

Edited by default

I think I figured out what is going on possibly, user error or user confusion. In the process of importing in my S4 sequences and then linking them to a new S5 preview, something got crossed up it looks like. It is exactly like you were decribing Default. Strings were going one way and the prop was going another.

What I still cant figure out is how to link a new prop to existing data in the sequence grid.

7 hours ago, dougd said:

I think I figured out what is going on possibly, user error or user confusion.

lol, welcome to my world. :blink:

Are these trees sequenced in SS? and your wanting to see them in S5 SE?

The reason I asked, is I have similar issue that I may have stumbled on a possible solution, at least for my issue. If it involves importing from SS props into SE. Maybe it will help you also. Work is hectic and I haven't had time to experiment with it yet, I'll let you know.

Alan...

I first noticed it on SS sequences. I thought it was strange but instead of diving into it, I just reversed the sequence on that tree. I then noticed it on sequences not done in SS and that is when i started digging into and found that tree 4 in the grid was numbered from 16 to 1 instead of 1 to 16 like the other 3 trees.

I imagine I wont have any of these problems next year when I start everything from scratch. I believe some of these problems were brought on starting in s4.

On 10/19/2017 at 6:14 PM, dougd said:

I believe some of these problems were brought on starting in s4.

That's what I am running into and it was all my doing. I cannot remember why I set my prop up this way, but it worked so all was good in SS. For some reason I made each blade three pieces, one for each long straight run, one for the 6 pixels forming the blade ends and that arranged the grid so that it made sequencing understandable to my brain.

Then with S5 and Preview depending on how props were created in S4 Visualizer it can affect how S5 shows them when you activate "Insert Superstar Effect" them. Right now there is a bug in Superstar (Brian is aware of it, and says it will be fixed next beta release) that acts up when try and set a group up as Horizontal. That is stopping me from seeing whether my S4 prop is going to import properly. I'm thinking it's good. I just have to wait to test it with the new release.

My issue in a nutshell is this;

This is sequencing grid I see when in Superstar.

ss5.png

ss4.png

This is sequencing grid I see when I "Insert Superstar Effects" from S5. As you can see, If I were to import a Superstar Sequence that was sequenced in the Superstar grid into this S5 Preview, it's all jumbled up and in this grid I cannot sequence the blades to go around like the hands on a clock. Like I say I think it will be do-able as soon as the Horizontal Group bug is fixed. I'll just create a Preview only for importing existing ( i have 22 songs using the blade spinner) Superstar sequences.

Your issue with the 1 tree numbered backwards is a little different, and if it affects the way you sequence in SS, you may want to re-create the .lee file. If that's a big pain for you, wait until the beta release before doing any drastic.

Alan...

Edited by default