Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX on older 8 ch Controlers?

Bill P

I have several 8 ch Controlers when I run four of them in dmx mode only the first and third will work correctly. It makes no difference if it’s the first and third or second and fourth. The other two don’t turn on or just give random Chanel flashes

is there a way to fix this or are they doomed to stay on LOR format?

was having lag issues with pixels till switching to DMX mode.  Naturally all my 16 ch Controlers work fine. 

Is it possible the newer firmware could fix this?

thanks in advance,

Bill

Is it always the same two that work right?  I assume you mean CTB08 controllers?

Off hand, I would think that they should work.  The first suggestion would be to ask if the channel addresses are correct.  By that I mean the "Unit ID" to ""DMX channel" mapping.  What Unit ID s are each controller set for, and what DMX channels are you trying to use?

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Is it always the same two that work right?  I assume you mean CTB08 controllers?

Off hand, I would think that they should work.  The first suggestion would be to ask if the channel addresses are correct.  By that I mean the "Unit ID" to ""DMX channel" mapping.  What Unit ID s are each controller set for, and what DMX channels are you trying to use?

Yes those are the controllers and no it’s not the same two it’s the same order.  say my unit eight and unit 10 will work but nine and 11  do not  if I just put nine and 11 they work then 10 and 12 do not and all the addresses are correct for the order of the controller the IDs are right as to the number of the controller. 

Let me make sure I have this right.  It does not matter what order the controller are in on the network.  The first two controllers on the network always work and the last two don't?  If I read that right, that sounds like a cable problem.  If that's not the case, tell us EXACTLY what tests you are doing in detail. 

1st and 3rd. 

So I’m using the four controllers for my faces control numbers are 8 9 10 and 11. 

If I plug the cables in and they’re in that order eight and 10 will play nine and 11 will not. If I change the order of the way the cable is plugged in and nine is the first one in line and nine and 11  well play and eight and 10 will not it’s always the first one and the third one plugged in 

That's odd, but my gut tells me there is a cable or connector problem (or problems).  This step by step may seem overly simple and tedious, but they steps carefully test each individual change.  At some point, you will see something fail.  Visually inspect the connector on the controllers, and the cables.  I would suggest the following test steps.

Connect only one controller to a cable from the USB adapter.  Test and confirm that the one controller works when it's the only controller connected.

Repeat the test for each controller.  For all four tests, there should be only one controller connected and it is always tested with the same cable from the USB adapter.  Confirm that all four controllers work properly when they are the only controller connected.

Only after proving that each controller will work when it is the only controller connected, add a cable to the second port of whatever controller is connected first in line.  Without plugging in a second controller, test the connected controller again and confirm that it still works.  Assuming it does, then connect one other controller to the end of that cable and test.

If the above test works, repeat for each of the remaining controllers as the second controller in line.

Only after proving that each controller will work when there are only two controllers, add a cable to the second port of whatever controller is connected second in line.  Without plugging in a third controller, test the connected controller again and confirm that it still works.  Assuming it does, then connect one other controller to the end of that cable and test.

If the above test works, repeat for each of the remaining controllers as the third controller in line.

Last two steps is add one more cable and test, then the last controller and test.

My best is somewhere along the line, you will find a cable or controller connector (or maybe more than one) that are causing the problem.

All cables were tested with a fluke tester (I make them routinely in my job field). 

If I run them in standard LOR format  they all run perfect.  It’s only if I run them in DMX mode  that they get screwy. 

I’ve since moved to my 16 channel newer controllers using the same cables and they run perfectly. 

Just to clarify there are two newer  version of firmware than what’s on  these eight Channel controllers, not that that really means a whole lot I’m not sure what the changes were.

I can run this set up as is, it was just a little more convenient being able to screw the controller right to the singing faces individually and not having to run ext. cords between them. 

Maybe when S5 gets finished I will be able to run them normal again without having big lag issues. 

6 minutes ago, Bill P said:

By the way I do have the Red high speed dongle 

what happens if you slow the network down.  115K is tops for these and NO enhanced

48 minutes ago, Bill P said:

No different 

Bummer

Have you cycled (flipped) all the address switches. Just in case the have dirty contacts.  This has to be an Address decode issue ^)

• The topic was locked